1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 83
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/23 9:16 a.m.
VikkiDp said:
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

wow.  GFM didn't waste any time!  I submitted and it was approved immediately (that's never happened before)

Here's our link guys:  https://gofund.me/554d0682

We're off an runnin!

So, preparations for the fourth run to Dnipro have officially begun!!!

Cheers everyone!!!

it is!

We're just a couple days in and just ticked over $350.  We're still early so I haven't sent messages out to everyone quite yet (There are a few people who regularly donate and share, but I want it to be closer to the time of delivery before they start their efforts).  I'll probably send them messages around the beginning of July.

6/2/23 9:20 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

I 100% understand.

GoFundMe is the best or this sort of thing, I think.  yes. 

The Paypal is more direct and efficient, but it can't provide the accountability I think something like this deserves (where your customers can see that the money went where you said it would)

Will talk through full details with the bar manager tomorrow and Monday.

What I think we're going to do is an option during happy hour that bartenders will ask patrons, "Instead of $1 off your beer, would you like to donate that to charity. It will be sent to provide aid for [a prenatal hospital in Ukraine]." And have a flyer they can point to. Then we'll put a "$1 Charity" button in their register.

This also means a patron can just... slap a couple extra bucks to charity onto their tab whenever. But Charity Happy Hours tend to play well with people, and they usually prefer the idea of giving $1 to charity with every beer.

We'll tab things up at the end of the [week/2 weeks/month] and just use a company card in the amount we've raised.

I'll message you directly for verbiage and photos that would be good.

And even though we're not packaging any, I can probably go ahead and just hand pull a couple 22oz bottles to send your way.

Awesoooooome!  I can't wait to see how this goes!  When the donation is made, would it be alright if I mentioned the bar and brewery by name on the social media sites?

Don't go out of your way or through any trouble, but I would love you forever if you did send a bottle or two this way (and I'd happily pay you for any and all shipping, handling, cost of beer, etc)

6/2/23 9:20 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

Over 20-people are reported injured and at least one is reported dead. 

Unfortunately in the end 32 people are injured and 4 dead

There was a veterinary clinic next to this hospital, which was also very damaged

crying

6/2/23 9:22 a.m.
84FSP said:

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

That shout out was fantastic sir!  Hungary Bill, International Man Of Mystery...

I'll admit, I got the super tinglies when I heard them start in on the effort. heart  I've been listening to that radio show (and podcast) off and on since about 2009 or so.

6/2/23 10:11 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

I spent the remainder of last weekend picking and canning strawberries

What? What did you do? Oh, man, you really surprised me laugh

Is there anything you can't do? blush

Yeah, catch up on all the stuff I'm SUPPOSED to be doing laugh

No, I do love picking berries, and foraging, and canning stuff (and sharing with the neighbors).  It was a nice break from reality, and good times with the family.  In the end I think we picked just over 16 kilos of berries.

Each of our neighbors ended up with about a kilo each of fresh berries.  We chopped up a bunch for cakes, and ice cream, and morning waffles and froze them in containers for later.  And then you can see what we had left for preserves and syrup.

Tonight I'm going to step out and pick some elderflowers before it's too late.  We use them to make syrup (for sweets, and drinks, and stuff) but we never seem to use very much.  Instead we try to keep a couple liters on hand at all times to give to our neighbors when they bring us stuff.

It's all good times wink

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/2/23 1:18 p.m.

Hey Bill, I sent you a PM. smiley

6/2/23 4:55 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Hey Bill, I sent you a PM. smiley

Got it!  Thank you sir!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/2/23 5:52 p.m.

Ran outta time today- I now know there's a 70lbs weight limit for things sent via USPS. Hopefully the now two packages will be sent Monday.

So I guess bill, wanna just email me Iras address? Since I gotta send it in two rounds now?

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/5/23 9:15 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

Will talk through full details with the bar manager tomorrow and Monday.

What I think we're going to do is an option during happy hour that bartenders will ask patrons, "Instead of $1 off your beer, would you like to donate that to charity. It will be sent to provide aid for [a prenatal hospital in Ukraine]." And have a flyer they can point to. Then we'll put a "$1 Charity" button in their register.

This also means a patron can just... slap a couple extra bucks to charity onto their tab whenever. But Charity Happy Hours tend to play well with people, and they usually prefer the idea of giving $1 to charity with every beer.

We'll tab things up at the end of the [week/2 weeks/month] and just use a company card in the amount we've raised.

I'll message you directly for verbiage and photos that would be good.

And even though we're not packaging any, I can probably go ahead and just hand pull a couple 22oz bottles to send your way.

It promises to be great heart I'm also really waiting for to hearing how it goes smiley

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/5/23 9:36 a.m.

Ohhh, it's so COOL!!! This is an absolutely awesome way to spend some time with the family!!! Just look at Simon's happy face heart

I prefer to freeze berries, fruits and vegetables - it preserves more vitamins yes 

But i canning vegetables(tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers or so) that my husband's parents grow smiley it's so yummy!!!

pick some elderflowers before it's too late.  We use them to make syrup

I made it too - we called it elderberry honey - it smells unbelievably delicious smiley

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/5/23 9:45 a.m.

catch up on all the stuff I'm SUPPOSED to be doing laugh

Haaa, the same thing man, but i would add - not only suppose to be doing - also i would like to be doing!!!

there are so many more things on this planet that i would like to do or at least try to do smiley

6/5/23 11:27 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Ran outta time today- I now know there's a 70lbs weight limit for things sent via USPS. Hopefully the now two packages will be sent Monday.

So I guess bill, wanna just email me Iras address? Since I gotta send it in two rounds now?

Sorry man, I didn't see this until today (and I hope it's not too late).  I've just messaged Ira, and will let you know as soon as I have her reply!

6/5/23 11:29 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

catch up on all the stuff I'm SUPPOSED to be doing laugh

Haaa, the same thing man, but i would add - not only suppose to be doing - also i would like to be doing!!!

there are so many more things on this planet that i would like to do or at least try to do smiley

You said it.  One day...  Hopefully soon.

6/5/23 12:02 p.m.

Happy Monday everyone!

Something kind of funny happened over the weekend and I thought I would share.

Short and sweet, Yaroslav has found me (well, my youtube channel actually).  I have no idea how that guy did it (I'm not exactly...  well... anything online)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PzYbdkLAETw

yaro's comment.JPG

That really made my day. I really hope that kid gets a chance to showcase his potential. All of the kids, really.

6/5/23 12:05 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

pick some elderflowers before it's too late.  We use them to make syrup

I made it too - we called it elderberry honey - it smells unbelievably delicious smiley

2 more days and it'll be ready to bottle.  laugh

I do prefer to freeze berries, but we need to buy a bigger freezer cheeky    Cherries and plums will be next, I think.  We have one tree each in our yard.

6/5/23 1:21 p.m.

Okie dokie.  Not getting too distracted, here's our Monday Update!

We transferred 293,097 forint to Kisgorbo on June 2nd (one day late, sorry Mayor Kozma!), our GoFundMe is already up to $550 (which I thought was a nice start), and (as I'm sure you saw) Girthquake has some HUGE boxes that are heading this way!

It's a darn good start to the week.  I'm hoping to keep it goin.

Cheers, guys!

6/6/23 8:47 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Sent you a PM, sir!  Let me know if you didn't get it

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/6/23 8:52 a.m.

Short and sweet, Yaroslav has found me (well, my youtube channel actually).  I have no idea how that guy did it (I'm not exactly...  well... anything online)

Hey, hmmm... i think i know for sure how he found your Youtube channel wink  It was easier that you might think cheeky

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/6/23 9:13 a.m.

Have a question smiley ... or two...

i have an idea for a raffle prize(one set of stamps) for the August run - i think it'll be good thing yes

if you want to get something as a gift from Ukraine, if you have any idea what it can be - feel free let me know smiley

This is my way to say you thanks for help and support heart

Bill, will we do a raffle among the donates? blush And what about the previous raffle? smiley

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/6/23 9:21 a.m.

Also i'm going to order some stuff for a few our little kiddos this week smiley

Good things yes we just continue to do it!!! smiley

6/6/23 12:24 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

Have a question smiley ... or two...

i have an idea for a raffle prize(one set of stamps) for the August run - i think it'll be good thing yes

if you want to get something as a gift from Ukraine, if you have any idea what it can be - feel free let me know smiley

This is my way to say you thanks for help and support heart

Bill, will we do a raffle among the donates? blush And what about the previous raffle? smiley

We can absolutely do a raffle!  I don't have anything to give yet, but I bet I can pick up some Ukrainian items before July.

And yes, we really need to get to the drawings for the prizes of the previous raffle.  This is what the host sent to me last week:

I'm 100% trying to be understanding of his situation, but am currently thinking that if we don't hear from him by Friday morning (our time) then I will pull names from the hat and award our prizes (the ones that you and I have).

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
6/7/23 9:44 a.m.

Any updates after the Nova Kakhovka dam explosion?  

6/7/23 1:27 p.m.
HoserRacing said:

Any updates after the Nova Kakhovka dam explosion?  

It's bad.  Everything I see coming out of there is just heartbreaking.  Entire towns are underwater, and the long term effects are even worse (there's a canal system that's absolutely vital to the farming industry in that area that will be completely dry after this).  If you wanted to help, an organization we once delivered to is hosting a fundraiser
https://evergreen.humanitru.com/web/campaigns/razom~support-for-ukraine?tab_2014=id%3A5452

RAZOM was one of the beneficiaries on our second trip to Lviv.   We brought medical supplies, the oxygen concentrator, and the EKG machine to their warehouse.  I have full faith that they can be trusted to do what they say they will do.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
6/7/23 1:41 p.m.

Thanks for the update Bill.  It looked bad on the news, wasn't sure the extent.  On a back at home note, just got back from Seattle/Portland and surrounding areas, and while I was wandering around the Northwest Cultural Fair at the Space Needle, noticed a Ukraine Defense Support flyer, probably would have never noticed the colors & what it meant if it hadn't been for you and your efforts!  Thanks for what you do, and providing a way for us to get involved as well!

6/7/23 1:51 p.m.

Probably not the correct time, given the dam burst but I got the rear brakes done and adjusted on the Toyota.

Lemme tell ya, those darn drums were adjusted TIGHT!!!!  I broke every one of the pins holding the shoes on when I removed the right side...

Boy howdy, let me tell ya how happy I was that I had the presence of mind to order a complete hardware kit, shoes, and both new wheel cylinders back when I bought these (over 2-years ago).  Because when it went to putting this side back together the drum brake and I got in an argument and it ended up ripping a boot on the non-leaking wheel cylinder...

There she is, all done up though.  New hardware and everything.  Damn do I hate drum brakes.  I was just getting over my dislike for them too.  Seriously, how did these get invented FIRST???  Discs are so much simpler!

Anyhoo, enough griping.  Second verse, same as the first!

I got her topped up with RBF600 brake fluid and set in on the adjustments.  A quick note before I tell you why I'm unhappy with the adjustments:

Regarding the overkill brake fluid (Vikki, this is "Racing Brake Fluid, and it's boiling point is somewhere near the surface of the sun.  It's something you'd use in a competition race car).  Back before the war, when I had time to take the Mazda to the occasional trackday, I would bleed the brakes every couple of years with fresh fluid.  That would leave me with a partial container of really potent brake fluid sitting around absorbing water for the next two years before I did it again.  One day I figured I'd put all that good, but not useable on the track, fluid to good use and dumped it in the Toyota.  It's wet boiling point is WELL and above any normal DOT4 fluid so, why not? devil

Anyhoo, back to that brake adjust:

Um...  well, I've bled the brakes and adjusted the drums, and then got my vacuum pump out and bled the brakes again.  I STILL can not lock the front tires under heavy braking.  I'm estimating 70% capacity here.  The problem is, I'm beginning to suspect that those REALLY tight rear brakes I've been complaining about were actually adjusted correctly, hence why the pedal feels softer now...

Right now there is friction between the shoes and the drums.  With the back end in the air, if I spin the tire it will stop about a quarter turn (maybe 1/3 turn) after I let go.  Given how the adjustment has gone so far, I'm willing to bet that if I click the rear adjusters about 3-5 more clicks then I'll have my old pedal back (and that just doesn't seem right to me.  Should the rear brakes really be dragging like that?).

On Friday Mrs. Hungary will be home so I'll have her in the drivers seat for a 2-person full brake bleed.  Failing that, I'm open to suggestions (Front pads are 80%, no stuck pistons, MC is new, and now the rear brakes are new.  If I pump the pedal about 5-times with the engine running it will get rock hard.  Hence the reason I'm still attempting a bleed).

In other news, that clutch is working GREAT!!!  I did not think that half a millimeter off that flywheel was going to make a difference, but that clutch grabs right in the middle of pedal travel now.

Good times.

1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MdRUkN0jxyNlfMOiKCmKUMeSUwT2rR37PTYlIyOl0Dzh2ISN0hKpGQsh7ELadeiv