1 2 3
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/17/22 10:44 p.m.

Update 

I made it home. I did have one more oil pressure light but I power cycled it went away and no more issues with that. The shutter which J & L told me is an intermittent misfire on cylinder 1 did not occur any more after I stopped for gas. 

A question earlier was about when I bought it. So I put a down payment down last week and then he sent me the purchase contract. I filled out part but not the inspection part and pick up part. The salesman pressured me and told me that I had to sign all of it. I should have asked my lawyer then and I didn't. I did what the salesman told me I had to do. That was the big mistake. So it was signed before I saw it. 

NY Nick
3/17/22 10:48 p.m.

Also John is right. There looks to be about a half dozen little bull E36 M3 things I have to fix. I will, it will be ok. I will say the truck has a ton of power and is nice to drive. Rides great. So tomorrow I'll start buying the parts to fix the little bs and then will probably detail the interior this weekend. 

Last thing. This mechanic was great. Not only did he really look at the truck and fix a couple things. He wouldn't take anything for it. He said something to the effect of you have been through enough today. Very thankful for him and his wife. 

NY Nick
3/18/22 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

Alexandria

NY Nick
3/18/22 10:51 a.m.

I had to re-read this post this morning when I wasn't under stress and see what I said and didn't say. An important piece that I haven't said yet is that John at J&L put the truck on the computer and checked things and looked over the engine after what I was told about the timing chain. He told me something to the effect "I don't see any evidence that this motor was ever taken apart". There is a new cam position sensor but it wasn't properly re-learned, he did that too. 

Today I am making a list of all the things that I see that need to be addressed and how much they will cost and put them in priority order. I already scheduled it for a full detail because the interior is filthy and I know if I detail it I will just get more and more angry so that is $300 that will be gone for my mental health. I suspect in a few weeks of tinkering I will have it where I want it. I guess I need to temper my expectations too, in hindsight this truck is in similar condition to my Suburban when I bought it 3 years ago and I spent 3 years to make my Suburban what it is now. The list of fixes and improvements I have done to that is extremely long and a lot of them aren't too different from what this one needs. I need to buy a vehicle from someone as looney as I am!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/22 11:24 a.m.

i would call a food place local to J&L and have lunch delivered one day next week.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/18/22 11:28 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i would call a food place local to J&L and have lunch delivered one day next week.

That's a classy move.

Sorry dude, this stinks.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/22 11:35 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Also, on my 2010 Ody i had an issue with oil light coming on intermittently / randomly. Never made noise, was not actually low on oil.  Investigation found corrosion on oil pressure switch connector pins.  Replaced switch and harness connector, no more oil light.  I hope yours is similarly benign.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
3/18/22 11:45 a.m.

I agree with the look at the positive, it's easier to fix mechanical than rust. Sounds like you'll end up with a nice truck for a little more than you expected, but not more than it's worth. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
3/18/22 11:53 a.m.

Oh man. I'm sorry all of that happened, but you're going to love the ESV. I made the same move from a couple of Suburbans to an Escalade ESV of that same generation a few years ago, and I've not regretted it once. The 6.2/6spd is a gem, the truck is well-appointed, and they look so damned nice when they're clean. It'll be great when you overcome these initial woes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/18/22 12:10 p.m.

The dealer wasn't Hennessy Honda was it?

NY Nick
3/18/22 12:15 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I am going to DC in a couple of weeks and I am planning on stopping and dropping off a thank you note, and a token of my appreciation. I will also put a Dominos gift card in there because in addition to everything I said they had just finished eating Dominos for lunch and offered me some too. I said no thank you but I know they eat Dominos.

NY Nick
3/18/22 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Auto Galleria

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/18/22 12:16 p.m.
NY Nick said:

A question earlier was about when I bought it. So I put a down payment down last week and then he sent me the purchase contract. I filled out part but not the inspection part and pick up part. The salesman pressured me and told me that I had to sign all of it. I should have asked my lawyer then and I didn't. I did what the salesman told me I had to do. That was the big mistake. So it was signed before I saw it. 

Sorry, I'm still confused. 

Did you waive the inspection?

I just don't fully understand how the vehicle went from the dealer lot to your possession and suddenly it lights up like a Christmas Tree. The only way I'd think that would happen is that if you pretty much didn't turn it on until money and keys had been exchanged. 

EDIT: Personally, I did something similar one time. I bought a vehicle. Drove around it the block. Let it run for about 20-30 minutes. Sure enough, as soon as money had been exchanged and I was on my way home, it developed what sounded like a knock. 9/10 you'll get away with a deal, other times, you don't. 

From some of your story it sounds like the vehicle had been inspected, by someone, with you present, prior to purchase. Was that at the dealer who sold you the car? Or did it not get inspected until AFTER the lights came on and you were 6 miles on your way home?

NY Nick
3/18/22 1:36 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

I waived it. I was dumb. I was the 1/10. I have to own that. I had already signed the paperwork for the sale prior to flying there. As soon as I got there I did a walk around of the truck and checked codes. So it was before I ever drove off the lot but the paperwork was done. 

The dealer misrepresented a lot of things. It's on me for not inspecting prior to purchase, at the same time a DEALER should be straight, if there are obvious warning lights, broken pieces, missing pieces they should say this is as is and btw all this E36 M3 that is supposed to be here or working isn't.

Things like: no key FOB, not 1 zero (they came with the truck), no floor mats (he is fixing that allegedly), missing spare tire, broken arm rests, the suspension system warning. Those were at minute zero. The oil pressure issue, the cylinder 1 misfire and the TPMS all came later so it is feasible he had no idea about those, I also may not have seen them on a short test drive?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
3/18/22 1:48 p.m.

Dead horse is gonna take its licks but at that point it would have been easier to eat the deposit and the plane ride home and find another one.  

NY Nick
3/18/22 3:43 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I would have but that was no longer an option since I had signed the purchase contract and the dealer wasn't willing to back out of it even if I paid something. 

I messed up but I will make it work, I already bought parts to start fixing things.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/18/22 3:52 p.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I will make it work, I already bought parts to start fixing things.

For your sanity this is the best thing to do.  Fix it and move on.  E36 M3 happens.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
3/18/22 4:33 p.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I would have but that was no longer an option since I had signed the purchase contract and the dealer wasn't willing to back out of it even if I paid something. 

I messed up but I will make it work, I already bought parts to start fixing things.

Moot point, but it's always an option until all money changes hands. A contract is not ratified until that happens. 

NY Nick
3/18/22 8:58 p.m.

So after all the ass ache. It is a darn nice looking truck. The 403 hp of the 6.2 is no joke. It's a nice upgrade from the GMT400. I washed it tonight and I'll start installing parts tomorrow. 

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/18/22 9:08 p.m.

Thanks for this whole post. 
I've been burned a time or two and hearing your story, though it does suck, makes me feel like I'm not the only one. 

good luck with the repairs. The Escalade looks sharp. 

NY Nick
3/18/22 9:45 p.m.

In reply to CarKid1989 :

Thanks. I posted this partially because I was in a skid at the moment and I needed to blurt it out and a little bit as a warning. I should have known better. I've bought and sold dozens of cars. I e never taken anyone on a used car and I have never really been done over before. This is the first time I have ever been the buyer where I felt the seller just misrepresented what they had. I never thought that would happen. Live and learn. I could have learned much more expensive lessons. I am not in dire straights. I'll right the wrongs and it will be ok. 

NY Nick
3/18/22 9:47 p.m.

I do appreciate the support and the advice and the well wishes from everyone, even the questions. This is a great place with good people. It's nice to have a group you can vent to or solicit advice. 
Thanks

Nick

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/18/22 9:52 p.m.

That's the exact truck I want, but in black. 

NY Nick
4/7/22 5:24 p.m.

So a few week after update. 
1- I went on vacation in DC with my family. We took a few minutes to stop by J&L and drop off a thank you note and a token of my appreciation. I think they were pretty surprised to see that. 
2- I have spent $952 fixing the silly things that were wrong with the truck. I have it mostly sorted for now. Big shocker the lying dealer hasn't sent the floor mats or the puny refund he promised. 

I hate the way it started but my mechanic said it is very clean underneath. You can take bolts out with a wrench, which in these parts is not common for the age. 

NY Nick
4/7/22 5:33 p.m.

Note: sorting means:

1- no more misfire. No open monitors

2- fixed service suspension issue

3- replaced oil pressure sending unit

4- 2 spare keys and 2 key fobs. Including programming so keyless works and so does the remote start. I bought genuine Cadillac fobs because I wanted them to look right. 
5- full detail inside and out

6- fixed arm rests 

7- bought new tpms sensors but I need to install and program. Maybe this weekend but more likely next weekend. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B0gGBxcLi1byuGo4oDggakVQnEqYBomTVlZADzEMvVAkSGhMSxXxngiOV0Qq8DgI