No Time
No Time Dork
10/12/20 9:06 a.m.

I ended up replacing the cat in our 2010 Sedona due to the pipe rusting through. Actually I will end up replacing the whole system from Y pipe to tailpipe, and everything in between. 

Is there any value to be recouped from the Cat (or any other parts)?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/12/20 9:07 a.m.

Cat...yes.  But here you have to have a license to sell it.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 9:18 a.m.

Note that aftermarket cats don't have any value to a recycler but OE ones do. On something like a Sequoia, I'd guess probably $100-200.

No Time
No Time Dork
10/12/20 9:55 a.m.

I'll have to do some more research to see what the rules are here, since it was a factory cat that i removed and  replaced with aftermarket. 

Thanks. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 10:18 a.m.

The rules are there to prevent people from crawling under a truck with a Sawzall to make a few hundred bucks at a shot. They vary by area. 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 10:27 a.m.

The last one I did was a year or so ago. 95 Volvo 850, took it to a local recycler and got $90. Same process as selling any scrap. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/12/20 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I totally understand the reasoning And support it.  Some a-hole went through our parking lot at work twice cutting cats off all our work trucks.  They are very easy to get under with no extra effort.  There used to be (and may still be) a billboard beside l-85 advertising some goobers buying cats.  I doubt they turned anybody away.  

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/12/20 11:56 a.m.

I used sellyourcatsdirect.com some time ago. They stopped buying from individuals a while ago but seem to be doing it again with registration. It was good money back then and painless. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 12:06 p.m.

I sell mine on ebay and have done way better than i was doing locally before

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 12:08 p.m.

I just sold the cats from my 94 LT1 on eBay, got $182 for the pair from a guy in AR. Which I think is Arkansas.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/12/20 8:14 p.m.

This guy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmnY41jqPGI&ab_channel=mbmmllc smelted them down to recover the precious metals.  

To make it work on a smaller scale, only the front cat is really worth it.  But en-mass, the process is more complex, but recovers a lot of the metal.

BTW, if companies that recover catalysts are honest, they will pay based on how much actual metal is on the catalyst.  But I expect they low-ball everyone based on some nominal amount.  If you wanted to make any "easy" money, I would suggest any car labeled as PZEV from about 2000-2010- when the #1 solution to low emissions was more metal.

No Time
No Time Dork
10/12/20 8:27 p.m.

It looks like there a few local companies around Worcester, so I'll make some calls and check with some online recommendations as well. 

I found the replacement muffler to be an interesting design, considering it's for a minivan:

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/21/22 11:33 p.m.

Reviving this for an update.

Back in March I submitted photos to RR cats and got a quote for $193 and they pay shipping. I never got around to shopping it and the quote expired. 

I emailed them for a new quote last week and the new quote was $136. Nope, not going that route. 

I reached out to a local company (using same photos sent to RR) and dropped it off for $245 cash. Definitely going to go local in the future. 

The one out of the Ram parts truck needs to get cut out this week and dropped off for $175.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/22/22 7:10 a.m.

In reply to No Time :

Thanks for the update 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/22/22 9:24 a.m.

I've got one off the old Tib engine I need to sell. Not sure where to sell it locally.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/22/22 9:27 a.m.

about 1.5 years ago I sold a beat up, rusted cat from a 1994 honda civic for $80. Found the guy on facebook marketplace, he drove down to my place and picked it up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DVANjAE35kDBOxcLUJZ514gd9bHDC8rMRAo2BT7Hboxr5ckcuAG1jF7Ov1jiyrHC