1 2
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 4:05 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I've been to Thunderhill - that's where Reno SCCA used to do most of the trackdays at when I was driving and instructing.

I was aware that it wasn't that easy to get on the track at Sonoma, which is why I didn't pick it as one of the bucket list tracks.

I'm kinda trying to balance the sight seeing with the track time to the extent that I don't need three sets of tires and two cars for the whole trip .

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/28/21 7:02 p.m.

Some personal bias, I think you need to figure out how to include Heartland Park in Topeka, and Hallett in Hallett, Ok.

I believe there was an editorial where Tim Suddard himself named Hallett as one of his favorite local gems of racetrack in the country.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/28/21 7:08 p.m.

If you end up going through SW Iowa like one of the maps, raceway park of the midlands in Pacific Junction, IA is a fun little track with some tricky sections, but FLAT.

If you remember the "NEMESIS" video from years ago where the Mustang spins out, that was from raceway park of the midlands.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/21 7:38 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Right now, the routes are still very much a rough draft, and the limited number of waypoints Google Maps seems to be able to handle isn't helping.

bmw88rider (Supportive Dude)
bmw88rider (Supportive Dude) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/21 7:14 p.m.

If you do get to denver, This is out in Boulder. The Shelby American Collection. Cars in the building account for half of Shelby American's Pro wins. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/3/21 9:32 p.m.

Since it looks like you are literally driving right by it, hit the Auto Museum and Prison Museum ( same site believe it or not) in Deer Lodge Montana.

It has some very cool cars including some early 1900s electric cars. Prison is..... creepy though

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/19/21 8:25 a.m.

Look me up if you're coming to High Plains Raceway...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/21 8:30 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Will do!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/21 9:50 a.m.

If you do the I-80 Route, I mentioned the Museum of American Speed. Took some pictures last weekend:

Need an engine? 

Just a few of the open wheel cars there: 

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
5/19/21 10:30 a.m.

If you're adding the enjoyability of the drive time to your consideration I'd switch up the very north west corner to include the Trans-Canada from Calgary out to the coast.   It's one of the most spectacular roads in the world.

It's also hard to zoom in on the route through California, but the coastal route is worth the extra time.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/19/21 12:08 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

pics aren't coming thru

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/21 12:24 p.m.

Just uploaded instead of linking. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/21 12:25 p.m.

Willow Springs to COTA is generally a soul-sucking trip that you only want to make once. The first hour in the desert is awe-inspiring, the next 573 are pretty boring. You can stop to see the Mexican Border, the Salton Sea, get some date ice cream, vist Saguaro National Park...uh, that might be it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HsmwjN8sIjQDY82BcBxpuxSEgrkkaAGzNpRF3XQCOcy7AdJgIKPbo5DvJ2jr2IJy