914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/16/09 6:10 a.m.

I stopped at my buddy's garage on the way home yesterday and one of his mechanics asked me that question.

His neighbor has an International dump truck, one of the smaller ones, but still pretty good sized; and it needs a rear seal. His mechanic turned the job down because he thought the truck wasn't worth investing another grand into, he asked my friend's mechanic. He doesn't have a spot to work on it so he asked me. The owner just wants it done, doesn't matter who does it.

Drop the tranny, put in a seal, put tranny back in; how hard can that be? It sounds like a lot of labor and one seal. Does that sound right or am I more naive than I think? Offer the mechanic a place to do it and take a cut? Help him for $500? I'm not sure if I need $1000 enough to take on the liability, responsibility and a chance to have a big transmission stuck on my chest.

What would you do?

Thanks, Dan

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/16/09 6:29 a.m.

I'd do it. But yeah, that's pretty much the gist of the job. I'd want to do it somewhere you had air, because I'm sure the flywheel bolts are not going to come off without a fight.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
6/16/09 6:31 a.m.

I was offered the task of replacing rod bearings on an old D9 Cat dozer. The oil pan only weighed a few hundred pounds, but the belly (skid) pan was much more than that. With the right tools, it may have been a relatively easy job, but this shop didn't have the right tools.

If you can get a good trans jack, go for it. This truck is a revenue-generator for someone, and the $1,000 is cheaper than the forgone revenue while it sits. You may be able to make $150 an hour.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/16/09 7:14 a.m.

Good money, but remember everything you touch will be an order of magnitude bigger/heavier/tighter than you are used to. If you can beg/borrow a 3/4" air impact that would be a big help.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/09 7:28 a.m.

I was so expecting to hear that Wally made a trip upstate.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/16/09 7:36 a.m.

look at this picture then say the thread title again..

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
6/16/09 9:24 a.m.
914Driver wrote: how hard can that be?

Famous last words. Right up there with, "Hey, y'all, watch this!"

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
6/16/09 9:48 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
914Driver wrote: how hard can that be?
Famous last words. Right up there with, "Hey, y'all, watch this!"

Or "its not gonna hurt that bad"

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
6/16/09 12:31 p.m.

Unless you are an experienced heavy equipment mechanic, RUN AWAY!

Different tools, different tactics, different thought processes entirely.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/16/09 2:21 p.m.

So, I'm a little confused. The guy who'd be working on it is your buddy, and he'd be doing it at your place? Or the guy working on it is a "friend of a friend?"

If the mechanic's a friend, let him do it at your place...for less than $500. If it's a "friend of a friend..." yeah. I'd probably walk away from that one. Too much headache and unpredictability.

As far as doing it yourself, I don't like going into uncharted territory on other people's stuff. My stuff? Sure. Then again, I'm no "seasoned" mechanic either.

zoomx2
zoomx2 New Reader
6/16/09 2:50 p.m.

Being a diesel mechanic in another lifetime, it is a pretty straight forward job. But if the tranny has never been out you will be in for a fight. My '97 Pete at work needed a clutch and it took 12 hrs. just to get the damn thing out. Also you will need the correct seal installer or you run the risk of damaging the seal and at probably $40-$50 a pop that can get expensive quick. Ask the parts guys if they have a loaner.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/17/09 5:42 a.m.

Update:

I went back last night because I dropped off the 914 for Inspection, I was going to offer my garage to the guy. He's married, kids, could probably use the money.

He was fired yesterday.

Dan

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
6/17/09 7:32 a.m.

probably for doing side work and "stealing" his bosses customers.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/17/09 10:56 a.m.
Supercoupe wrote: probably for doing side work and "stealing" his bosses customers.

Nah, the boss only does European, no domestic or Japanese. I think he was not living up to his resume'.

Dan

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/09 11:15 a.m.

Ouch, that's a shame.

And too bad for you, it would be the perfect excuse for one of these.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/18/09 6:20 a.m.

As another who was a diesel mechanic in another life, I'd suggest you thanking the gods you lost out on this job. Yes, it's as straight foward as described. But the magnitude of the job is amazing due to the sheer size and weight of the parts.

With diesels you need 3/4" and 1" drive sets.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8NZdSQWAT96JxxUF9z7yU0wOz93tp37sFpzyYIu9jrU09JmsLh3M3oupxbol6Ybi