1 2 3 4 5 6
oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
6/24/11 9:53 a.m.
Lesley wrote: I'm small, but sturdy

Single digit dress size, triple digit IQ and loves cars.

Winnar!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
6/24/11 9:55 a.m.

Or, like someone told me once eons ago, "Beauty is skin deep, personality is forever.". I picked someone mentally stable.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/11 9:57 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I really don't mind a woman with curves. I just wish they wore clothes that actually fit and you didn't see rolls of flubber hanging out. "Mmm, Girl, you be a 16, not a 10...Furreal." That seems to be the trend these days—10lbs of putty in a five pound bag.

When we were in Atlanta for the Mitty, my wife and I asked each other if there was a material shortage. Lots of people squeezed into clothes that hadn't really fit for a decade or so.

As for the fantasy vs the reality - check out OkTrends. It's a blog that does datamining on the OkCupid database, and it's pretty interesting and funny. There's one post on The big lies people tell in online dating, things like bumping their height up by a couple of inches and giving themselves a salary boost.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
6/24/11 10:12 a.m.
John Brown wrote: And why is it every pair of jeans sold to women today are low rise? To emphasize the muffin top? I am SOOOOO grateful that my favorite fuller figured gal has a modicum of style and taste (Not too much taste, she did marry me for chrissakes!)

dont get me started on jeans!!!!! i find it sad that i litterly have problems with muffin top sometimes.... sorry but women have padding in the hips if we are not anorexic and that happens and yes it looks terrible..... thankfully alot of companies are now selling medium rise again and they are not ugly jeans..... illadmit to shopping at target for jeans just because mossimo has this awesome fit system.... 3 diff variations of curve and 3 diff rises.... get to choose what fits and looks best.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/11 10:18 a.m.

I just started buying my jeans from thrift stores because I could not find any local stores that had "whole butt rise". GRR. It's almost like clothing manufacturers WANT us to look ridiculous.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/24/11 10:30 a.m.

Keith, does Janel know about this whole OkCupid thing?

I'm just askin'.

I realize most people fudge on the dating sites, I guess that's to be expected. It just surprised me the percentage of women that (I guess) don't realize they are coming across as fantasy driven golddiggers.

I ain't into that whole muffin top thing either. (Here comes the Curmudgeon thing. ) Low rise jeans were the rage when I was in high school till probably my early '20's. But they weren't cut to do the muffin top thing and to me were much more accentuating of the natural curves. Which I likes.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
6/24/11 10:40 a.m.
oldsaw wrote:
Lesley wrote: I'm small, but sturdy
Single digit dress size, triple digit IQ and loves cars. Winnar!

Winnar indeed! but you listed them in reverse order of importance! I'd rather have a smart woman who loves cars than a skinny one who couldn't care less about cars!

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/24/11 10:45 a.m.

I married a massage therapist who while not understanding it, accepts my thoughts of cars being pokemon. She's a little heavier, but NBD. I know ol' girl will wanna eat at a good place instead of some joint that serves sticks and leaves and crap and calls it "mock steak". Gimme that woman EVERY TIME.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/24/11 11:04 a.m.

A little muffin top is OK, but only a little. I hate the girls whose skin looks so thin that it is stretched over their muscles. As you can see I have quite a lot of room inbetween to like.

I'm seriously worried about the younger generation. Your metabolism slows down about every 10 years. If a high schooler has too much of a muffin top now (and usually that would be the skinnier ones) then by the time they are 30-40-50 they will be huge.

Once upon a time the ideal was Twiggy, now the "you just need to feel good about yourself" pendulum has swung too far.

At just about every decade mark I have to significantly cut down the amount of food I injest and up the work out just to stay close to the same mark. I'm 15 pounds heavier than college and about 25 heavier than H.S.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
6/24/11 11:05 a.m.
KATYB wrote: most of us as girls grow up with the fantasy of a man who will take care of us and sweep us off our feet.

I'm lucky there... I had a single working mom (left my alcoholic abusive father who in the last 10 years has become an okay guy).

One year, I kept pestering mom for a Barbie wedding gown. My mother refused, finally saying, "Barbie doesn't need a man to be fulfilled, and neither do you!"

The irony? The good Catholic part kicked in...she called me as an adult and complained, "You're 24, why aren't you married yet??" I politely reminded her of my entire childhood...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/24/11 11:09 a.m.

'A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.' Of course that sentence can be reversed also...

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
6/24/11 11:59 a.m.
dollraves wrote:
KATYB wrote: most of us as girls grow up with the fantasy of a man who will take care of us and sweep us off our feet.
I'm lucky there... I had a single working mom (left my alcoholic abusive father who in the last 10 years has become an okay guy). One year, I kept pestering mom for a Barbie wedding gown. My mother refused, finally saying, "Barbie doesn't need a man to be fulfilled, and neither do you!" The irony? The good Catholic part kicked in...she called me as an adult and complained, "You're 24, why aren't you married yet??" I politely reminded her of my entire childhood...

That website of yours... are those conversations typical or are they just the funny ones? If they are average, I have doubts about the future of mankind.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/24/11 12:09 p.m.

The way I think of it is, I'm attracted to what a woman has, not what she doesn't have. Physically, I prefer a woman who has boobs, curves, thighs, etc. - shapely and in shape - more than a girl who doesn't have a belly or a butt, and has little stick arms.

Looks are also more of a "You must be at least this hot" gate keeper. Once a woman meets that requirement, it's all about their personality, interests, communication, etc.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
6/24/11 12:52 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Looks are also more of a "You must be at least this hot" gate keeper. Once a woman meets that requirement, it's all about their personality, interests, communication, etc.

I guess I'm just a "Hellafunctional" guy right down to the core. For me it starts with the personality, interests, communication, etc. at least if I'm doing anything more than watching her walk down the street.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
6/24/11 1:06 p.m.
Duke wrote: For me it starts with the personality, interests, communication, etc. at least if I'm doing anything more than watching her walk down the street.

If you're watching, you're interested. The first criteria have been met (regardless of what they are), but the real important things get revealed in due time.

If you keep an open mind and heart, the important things will make the criteria change.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/11 2:05 p.m.

Come on guys, if you're awake, you're interested. If you can say, "She's not hot enough for me" then you can make yourself feel better and kill two birds with one casual glance. Nice little boost to the ol' ego.

Certainly everyone has the right to like who and what they like, but keep your opinions and "rules" off of me. If you don't wanna see a fat chick in a bikini, then DON'T LOOK at the fat chick wearing a bikini, or better yet, don't fantasize about the internet chick who wants a bikini and how fat she must be because she needs a Large. You haven't even seen her and you are complaining about how fat she is. Nice. Shall every woman wear a burka so your delicate eyeballs aren't offended? berkeley no. You will find plenty of gals who are hot enough to make your day but also dumb enough to think you are worth a second glance yourself. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/24/11 2:19 p.m.

Ouch.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/24/11 4:56 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Salanis wrote: Looks are also more of a "You must be at least this hot" gate keeper. Once a woman meets that requirement, it's all about their personality, interests, communication, etc.
I guess I'm just a "Hellafunctional" guy right down to the core. For me it starts with the personality, interests, communication, etc. at least if I'm doing anything more than watching her walk down the street.

Yes, but if I'm going to date someone, I need to want to do more with them than just talk. If the only criteria were personality, interests, and communication, I probably wouldn't be limiting myself to only women.

You know what I call a guy I go out to dinner with? A friend. You know what I call a woman I'm not physically attracted to that I go to dinner with? A friend.

That woman doesn't have to be a model, by any stretch, but I need a certain level of attractiveness to get my blood pumping. Trying to define what makes a woman "hot" can really vary. Thank heavens for that.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/24/11 5:04 p.m.

+1 to everything ECM just said. We are comfortable saying, "if you don`t like it, dont look" WRT television and the internet. Why should it be any different with people?

redrabbit
redrabbit New Reader
6/24/11 6:10 p.m.

Tom, are you still reading? Do you still like where this is going? For the record, I asked my wife to let me help her shop for clothse, not her mother. We were both happier.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
6/24/11 8:11 p.m.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not (stupid Internet).

I was being sarcastic when I said I liked where this was going. Notice the peeps running from the plane are about to get mulched up?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/24/11 8:28 p.m.

I'm not perfect physically (now THERE'S the understatement of the millenium!) and I certainly don't expect perfection from the opposite sex. I just expect a certain level of 'yeah I care about myself' attitude, hygiene and emotional stability before I can even fake being interested. Grossly fat or weirdly skinny show me there's a lack of that 'I care about myself' attitude. An obsession with having to be 'perfect' before stepping out the door to do ANYTHING indicates to me a possibly unhealthy narcissism. That will send me screaming for the door instantly.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
6/24/11 8:34 p.m.

I prefer thin athletic women. It is my preference and I won't apologize for it.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/24/11 8:49 p.m.

I prefer "sane"....The next time I'm dating, that is a feature I will prioritize

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
6/24/11 8:58 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I prefer thin athletic women. It is my preference and I won't apologize for it.

Come on, we both know that's because you can leave an athletic woman alone with a Miata and come back with the interior stripped and cleaned :p

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0PUWZQpbLl1LxLqhhfRjpF6OvHc5JFdWbDMsTvtT14Gdufih4GaAvhMHBTtgCiF0