1 2
mw
mw HalfDork
11/1/10 8:29 p.m.

My wife, 2 year old daughter and I are looking to go on vacation for a long weekend ( nov 26- dec 2 ). We were thinking about a us city that might be fun. We've done new Orleans and Atlanta and liked both. Any suggestions?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
11/1/10 8:50 p.m.

Looking for touristy or raw city? I think Tampa is pretty cool.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
11/2/10 2:17 p.m.

If you can make the flight Phoenix is nice right now, we have temps in the 80s during the day and there are a good variety of things to do around here.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
11/2/10 2:40 p.m.

I've heard San Diego is kinda nice...

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/2/10 2:42 p.m.

sofla? miami if you want big city stuff, or you can go a bit north to delray or west palm beach for a bit slower pace. there are also direct flights from most hub cities into west palm beach. in delray you can be a couple blocks from the beach in one direction or a couple blocks from shopping and dining the other direction.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/2/10 2:45 p.m.

Honolulu is pretty nice.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/2/10 5:12 p.m.

If you want laid back , look into Myrtle Beach, SC or Charleston,SC. Both have nice weather that time of year. Not sure about airports, though.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
11/2/10 5:18 p.m.

I hate Tampa, I'm biased though.

Go to Sanibel Island if you absolutely have to make it into Flatistan.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
11/2/10 5:34 p.m.

Slightly south of the U.S., but I just spent a week here and it was quite nice. Not as expensive as you might think.

In the U.S. - Sanibel or Florida Keys was the first thought I had.

triumph5
triumph5 HalfDork
11/2/10 5:49 p.m.

+2 for San Diego. There's the great zoo, right next to Balboa Park, which still has some of the "temporary" buildings from the 1910s fair it was built for, along with a nice art museum. Walk a bit south and there's the air museum. Down town has been redone and is very tourist safe and friendly. And there's the harbor to tour, the Star of India tall ship. LaJolla is 1/2-ride up the coast, nice to poke around in , and LA is only 3 hours away--with all it has to offer: theme parks, games, places, etc... And the weather is GREAT. I spent my last two years in college in San Diego, and wile that was a while ago, it was vey enjoyable.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
11/2/10 6:49 p.m.

I hear Ormond Beach, FL is pretty nice.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/2/10 6:55 p.m.

Check the airfare and you might be surprised at where you can go. Bahamas aren't expensive.

dj
dj New Reader
11/2/10 7:08 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Check the airfare and you might be surprised at where you can go. Bahamas aren't expensive.

I'd check this out. Tampa isn't that nice.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/2/10 7:30 p.m.

where ever you can get cheap airfare that is where you should go.

My sister just got round trip airfare from NYC to San Juan PR for $112 for a weekend.

barnca
barnca Reader
11/2/10 7:31 p.m.

i like cocoa beach.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/2/10 8:31 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Check the airfare and you might be surprised at where you can go. Bahamas aren't expensive.

And Puerto Rico is part of the US- no Passport required.

If you do have a passport- have you thought of a cruise? There may be some great deals- and we love them....

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
11/2/10 8:32 p.m.

San Antonio

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/2/10 9:06 p.m.

I suggest Key Largo to Marathon, Florida Keys. I love that area. Laid back, a bit touristy, but beautiful. Fishing and diving are great, too. Key West can be a bit too much for the normal traveler.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/2/10 10:15 p.m.

Fixed it for you.

cwh wrote: Key West can be a bit too much for the hetrosexual traveler.

I saw my first chains and whips furnished by a bed and breakfast there. Whip hung on the back of the door and chains on the wall compliments of the management. It was the cutest little B&B too. You'd have thought a little old lady owned it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/2/10 10:17 p.m.

Savannah?

Taiden
Taiden Reader
11/2/10 10:20 p.m.

Costa Rica

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/3/10 1:01 a.m.
mw wrote: My wife, 2 year old daughter and I are looking to go on vacation for a long weekend ( nov 26- dec 2 ). We were thinking about a us city that might be fun. We've done new Orleans and Atlanta and liked both. Any suggestions?

Skip Atlanta that late in the year. We've had a lovely fall this year, but it ended on Nov. 2nd. We're in the "foothills" of the Appalachians, and even though we're not Chattanooga..it still gets pretty chilly at this (low? Not to this old beach kid!) altitude. I'm looking at the weather for Road Atlanta at the moment. I'm working the SCCA race there the weekend of the 6th, and seeing that the lows at night will be right around 33deg F. I gotta camp in that stuff (can't afford to attend the race otherwise), and I'm not looking forward to it.

Try the FL "Panhandle". Pensecola and Destin are pretty "touristy" (although there's great offshore fishing in Destin), but you might like Ft. Walton Beach. The developers haven't been able to completely destroy the place yet, and it's often warm that late in the year (although not always).

Good luck! I hate the cold, but I love Atlanta, so I'll just continue to put up with it.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/10 7:39 a.m.
barnca wrote: i like cocoa beach.

i do too. and st augustine could keep me occupied with historical stuff for a while.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/3/10 7:42 a.m.

join

Travelzoo.com and airfarewatchdog.com

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/3/10 7:57 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Savannah?

+1, and throw Hilton Head in too. They have a great old 3 mast sailboat trip that leaves from HH Harbor and sails up to Savannah at Sunset. It is very nice for just you and the mrs if you can pawn the kids off somewhere.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c6l9YBdvKJPJkiTDikWBsxqOozRJRNsRvdd8jGOWUVIHG5LNPEUw62woWMcgMrHg