dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
4/2/11 5:11 p.m.

A month ago, I was working construction, and it sucked. The work was tough enough (rebar), but combine that with about 1 out of every 3 guys seeming to have a permanent chip on their shoulder and it sucked that much more.

If you were told to work Job site A in the morning, and then the owner decided your help was needed at Job site B for the afternoon, you ate the time to drive between sites. They were about 40 miles and 1 hour apart. Because you were NOT working on a 1099, you couldn't even claim mileage.

Benefits?!? You work, and you get paid, how's that for a benefit!?!. Paid vacation? Nope! Insurance? Not any more pal! Something's not fitting?!? Hit it harder with a bigger hammer until it does!!

By the owner's own admission, the starting pay was "Not very berkeleying much!", but after picking up a few skills that "Should take a few weeks", there was a $3/hr raise promised. Like many contractors, the owner had too many projects going- 5 projects with three foremen including himself, so on many days, we supervised ourselves. I was the only one on those days who spoke fluent English/ and or without an attitude, so the other subs and general contractor came to me with questions and requests. Needless to say, it made me feel like a de facto foreman. However, without the owner around, there was not much time to pick up the skills used in the job, as my time was filled with fetching things from the gang box, and moving piles of bar around, so I was stuck at the starting pay.

The final straw was when the owner sheepishly told me to expect AT LEAST a week with no work before the end of the month due to all projects waiting on other contractors.

I came home that night and applied to a position at an area knife manufacturer as an assembly person, and heard back first thing the next day. I was offered a position less than a week after applying, and so far, it's been a great place to work. Because each person assembles and troubleshoots a knife from start to finish, you feel like a craftsman, not just a cog in the machine.

The starting pay is 25% more than I was making, the benefits offered are virtually unheard of at most companies, and it's a very laid back place to work. So far, it's been a record year for them sales wise, and the demand for their U.S. produced products has jumped significantly.

It has done wonders for my faith in humanity to discover a company that is not only determined to pay a decent wage to their people, but also to bring MORE of their manufacturing back into the United States. Even more comforting is that their customers are a loyal group of people willing to pay a few bucks more to support this business model.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
4/2/11 5:14 p.m.

In reply to dimeadozen:

Good for you! Way not to get down about your situation and actually do something about it other than just bitch!

BBC

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/11 6:54 p.m.

Now tell us what knives we should be buying :D

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/2/11 7:57 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Now tell us what knives we should be buying :D

do eet!

Joey

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
4/2/11 8:01 p.m.

Yep, this is the proper way to spam. Spill your guts-who is it?

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
4/2/11 8:20 p.m.

That rocks, congrats.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
4/2/11 9:57 p.m.

Thanks for the platform to shamelessly promote- since several of you asked, it's Spyderco. The last thing I will say is that even the Asian-produced knives are very decent product, and are QC'ed in the USA before shipment.

For our family, and hopefully all of you, this year is really looking a lot better than 2010. Before working construction, I was out of work for nearly a year, taking whatever odd jobs, temporary assignments, and craigslist/eBay flipping opportunities came up while fruitlessly applying to permanent positions. My wife was also out of work for nearly 6 months of 2010, taking (mostly very short term) temp assignments through every staffing agency in town while looking for something more permanent.

Needless to say, there were months that things were beyond tight financially. I had heard the stereotypes/stories about construction, but promised to take the first opportunity to come my way, and followed through.

Hopefully, none of you guys are ever in that situation financially, but to those who may be, I offer that everything happens for a reason, and our marriage and long term planning skills are MUCH stronger as a result of working through that mess.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
4/2/11 10:57 p.m.

Spyderco makes a good knife...well...err...you make a good knife from the parts they have you assemble.

Not all construction is bad. I'm working install/basic construction and I like the variety. I get paid travel though.

xfactoraeg
xfactoraeg New Reader
4/3/11 12:29 a.m.

Very good to hear, congrats!

I just realized I never had a knife, will have to look at Spyderco and see what fits.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
4/3/11 5:07 a.m.

I just filed my unemployment 3 minutes ago. I noticed on the PA site that unemployment is now below 8.5% statewide, and that they diminish the payments accordingly. Thought that was interesting.

Spyderco is a good company, I knew lots of people that used to work there years ago, that branched out and now have their own companies.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie New Reader
4/3/11 6:13 a.m.

In reply to dimeadozen: Congrats on finding a good job, and getting yourself out of a tight financial situation. Just one thing though, if you know how to get in touch with the webmaster for your company - the Spyderco website doesn't display properly on my computer/browser combination. I'm running Ubuntu Linux 10.10/Chromium 10.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/11 8:44 a.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: if you know how to get in touch with the webmaster for your company - the Spyderco website doesn't display properly on my computer/browser combination. I'm running Ubuntu Linux 10.10/Chromium 10.

shocking, since that's such a standard configuration.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
4/3/11 4:06 p.m.

Being a rodbuster is hard work, physically and as you stated working with the attitudes. They always think they're the toughest mofo's on the job but they are also primadonnas (sp?) on a lot of things - ooo, I felt a rain drop, see you in a couple days!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/11 6:08 p.m.

At the end of the year, my relatively-new employer paid out a year-end bonus, did a review, and adjusted pay accordingly. That may not sound like a big deal, but it was the first time ever in my career that my boss actually came through on the promises made during the interview! Love my new job and will never ever leave.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
4/3/11 6:32 p.m.

one of my Spyderco's is about 14 yrs old i believe and goes to work with me everyday. Love there products

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
4/3/11 6:54 p.m.

A co-worker has an internet knife business. They love the Spyderco knives.

byron12
byron12 Reader
4/3/11 8:06 p.m.

I already own several spyderco knives kick ass and good job.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FRFF0zCQXZm50zL8dOk5MMBPO5UQsF3vxZbjON29zB80DLMJtAfgu6IrwT6dey9h