1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 59
Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
12/21/22 4:43 p.m.

Started reading The Romanovs: 1613-1918 by Simon Sebag Montefiore on the plane to PRI and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far. They do things very... differently in Russia.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/23/22 11:41 p.m.

Ron Chernow's biography of Ulysses S Grant. It's very long, but quite interesting. Grant was a very complex guy, not the drunken dullard as is sometimes conveyed.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/22 10:10 a.m.

In a waiting room someone had old Jack London books as decor. I picked up "Before Adam" and liked it a lot. I'm going through his other works now. Starting with Call of the Wild. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/24/22 11:12 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

See also:  Farley Mowat.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/22 11:27 a.m.

Finished this last week. Interesting read. Not sure I agree with all of it but thought provoking 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
12/24/22 7:44 p.m.

The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's somewhere between The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Stand by Stephen King. It's very long and I'm only about a quarter of the way through it but it's very good so far.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
12/24/22 9:47 p.m.

The Shepherd, by Frederick Forsyth, because it's Christmas.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/25/22 2:57 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to P3PPY :

See also:  Farley Mowat.

Will do. 
Today at the breakfast table I read to the family A Dream Story - The Christmas Angel by Henry Van Dyke. I accidentally happened across it in my search for Mr. London's work the other day. I got a little choked up reading it aloud as it gives a significant context to today's relevant announcement in Luke. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/25/22 4:08 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/25/22 7:19 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Farley Mowat is the same kind of adventure writer as Jack London, except he lived about 50 years later.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
12/26/22 7:55 a.m.

I just finished reading "Paul Newman The Extraordinary Life of an Ordinary Man". It is a wonderful look inside the brain of a very troubled man. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/22 11:28 a.m.

About to start this one based on a post a GRMr wrote a while ago. 

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/27/22 10:11 a.m.

My wife and I stumble onto an author named Caim McDonnell.  He's done a series of murder/mystery books based in Dublin.  They are real page turners and the dialog is hilarious!  The first in the series is call A Man with One of those Faces.  That is the only title I can remember but I highly recommend anything this guy writes.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
12/27/22 10:30 a.m.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
1/13/23 5:29 p.m.

Just started "The Monkey's Raincoat" by Robert Crais.  It's a P.I. mystery.  I'm only 20-odd pages into it, but it reminds me a lot of John D. McDonald's "Travis McGee".   I like it so far. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
1/14/23 1:00 a.m.

Just finished Kingdom of Bones by James Rollins.  Now I'm up to date on his Sigma Force series, waiting for the next one.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/14/23 9:47 a.m.

Caliban's War, second book of the Expanse series.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/23 10:01 a.m.

I'm on the last book of the Ancient Origins series.

Interesting take on apocalyptic near future sci-fi, but it took a very hard Catholic bent towards the end of book 2 which sort of soured my opinion, then decided to go full action movie after book 4. 

If you could find a 500 page cliff notes version of the 3,000+ pages of 6 books, it would be worth taking the time to read, but I can't really recommend jumping into the whole series.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/14/23 12:16 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Kind of like the Ender series. Fantastic start, devolved quickly into heavy-handed preaching and agenda-pushing for oh, another two thousand pages or so.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/14/23 5:12 p.m.

The English Assassin by Daniel Silva.

Art restorer/ hired killer, sometime spy; cleverly written to keep you there but moves right along.

There's a series.

Gary
Gary UberDork
1/14/23 7:05 p.m.
Slippery said:

About to start this one based on a post a GRMr wrote a while ago. 

That would have been me. Great book! Enjoy it.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/14/23 7:09 p.m.

I am mostly through the next-to-last book in the Murderbot Diaries series by Martha Wells: Network Effect.  Definitely a fun read.  I have one more book in the series to read, and then I wait...  fortunately, I have many (many...) books in the "need to read" pile in the meantime.  Apparently, a new book is in the works although I'm not sure of the release date.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/14/23 7:22 p.m.
stroker said:

Just started "The Monkey's Raincoat" by Robert Crais.  It's a P.I. mystery.  I'm only 20-odd pages into it, but it reminds me a lot of John D. McDonald's "Travis McGee".   I like it so far. 

I read through all of his books last year, smooth reading

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
1/14/23 11:16 p.m.

Before starting reading this I thought Hot Rod Magazine was just for show cars. TIL that is not true. Holly E36M3 you'd never know what a they did unless you read it! That is a bookmark.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/23 2:18 a.m.

Currently reading (well, listening, I'm using the audiobook) the first of Brandon Sanderson's four "secret novels", Tress of the Emerald Sea.

1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zS1N5TeP1BIPFFVeT6gA416emSnzzXeHTJguRfSgphG8s35oK5AKKwpTNwekqnez