pilotbraden SuperDork
1/9/17 3:03 p.m.

White's Hathorn Explorers

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29878

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/9/17 3:29 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
mtn wrote: Red Wings. On my second pair in 13 years (the first were worn lightly by my dad for an additional 8 years).
I'm surprised to hear that, because when I worked for Comcast, we were given a boot credit every 2 years for Red Wing. I would kill a pair of those boots in less than 2 years. I usually got the Lineman style boots though, I don't know if they were just prone to wearing out faster.

How would you kill them? If it was wearing through the leather, were you treating them somewhat regularly? If it was the sole, that'd be pretty normal--they can be resoled.

If it was something else, then I don't know. I do know that the one pair of Red Wings I had that was NOT made in USA was pretty poor quality.

EDIT: And I'm not dead set on RedWings. I buy them because they're made in USA and they last me, and they're comfortable. But my next pair may be something else--I just have no clue when my next pair will be.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/9/17 8:46 p.m.
mtn wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
mtn wrote: Red Wings. On my second pair in 13 years (the first were worn lightly by my dad for an additional 8 years).
I'm surprised to hear that, because when I worked for Comcast, we were given a boot credit every 2 years for Red Wing. I would kill a pair of those boots in less than 2 years. I usually got the Lineman style boots though, I don't know if they were just prone to wearing out faster.
How would you kill them? If it was wearing through the leather, were you treating them somewhat regularly? If it was the sole, that'd be pretty normal--they can be resoled. If it was something else, then I don't know. I do know that the one pair of Red Wings I had that was NOT made in USA was pretty poor quality. EDIT: And I'm not dead set on RedWings. I buy them because they're made in USA and they last me, and they're comfortable. But my next pair may be something else--I just have no clue when my next pair will be.

It differed each time, one time the leather ripped from regular use and the other times the sole would be wore out. I did oil them once maybe twice a month depending on what time of the year it was.

It is possible that the dealer stuck me with the non US made ones, because I think they didn't make much of a profit on them.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/9/17 10:20 p.m.

Sole is going to wear out on anything though. Get it replaced. And like ignorant said, always with vibran

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/9/17 10:28 p.m.

I wear dr martens industrial for work. I like them, and it takes me about 2 years of every day use to wear them out.

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
1/9/17 11:56 p.m.

My current favorite boots are a pair of Danner Mountain Light boots in black suede, and Tricker's logger boots (I have 2 pairs, black and brown). All normally kinda expensive, but on sale they cost the same or less than average redwing boots do.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/10/17 5:47 a.m.

Not so much brand based, but low/ankle height work boots in darker colors. I usually go with $20-30 Brahmas that will last me 2 years. My last pair needed some $5-10 insoles after a year and the soft sole of that particular model was worn rather smooth. They are my backup pair at my parent's house now. I'm currently 4 months into some Roebucks. List was $45 for non steel toe, but on clearance they had been about $25. They are more substantial than those Walmart Brahmas, I'm looking forward to seeing how long they last. This actually isn't my first pair. Last time I bought them too big and ended up giving them away.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/10/17 8:02 a.m.

Used to swear by Wolverine Dura-Shocks, many pairs over the years. Started new job w/ lotta walkin' on concrete floors, not even the Dura-Shocks helped w/ foot, knee and ankle pain. Their shoe truck boots sucked, the soft soled safety shoes not much better, New Balance weren't that bad though. Buying boots felt great in the store but not on our floors. Had a shopping bag full of cushioned inserts as well.

New job and get boots once per year. Great, take 'em sell 'em on CL I thought. Carolinas w/ composite safety toe... where you been all my life?

Most comfortable work boot I ever wore. After all that searching I still can't explain it. Just dumb luck maybe.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/10/17 8:21 a.m.

For work i buy a pair of redwings every 3 years(only wear in winter)

Hunting/bad weather i wear an 8 year old pair of wolverines. 12EEE is hard to find so even with my badluck with redwings i still buy them.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
1/10/17 9:40 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Bought some Lowa Renegades for hiking-- great boots for that. I've typically used Timberline Pro steel toed boots in the workshop. I bought some Timberland slip-on low-top style steel toes for the garage, since I'm constantly changing footwear going in and out of the house. I really like the low-tops, the Timberland boots can be hit and miss. Anyone have recommendations on winter boots that are really good for walking on ice and snow? Kinda like snow tires for your feet where the rubber is pliable at low temps, etc.?

It's funny you say that. I also wear Lowa Renegade boots (GTX Mid for me please) and rock them daily in Iowa winter. I haven't encountered anything much better that can also be worn indoors. Plus, they have them in wide sizes too! (I normally wear 10.5 4E in New Balance and the 10.5 Wide Lowa Renegade GTX Mid fits great.)

I don't recommend Lowa's ankle shoes due to fitment issues, but their boots are great!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/10/17 9:44 a.m.

I just picked up a pair of Vasque Snowburban Ultradry boots for winter duty. Very happy with them so far.

On the motorcycle I wear a pair of Dainese Short Shift. They look good enough to wear around the office and are very comfortable.

Filthy work gets a pair of steel toe Muck boots. Expensive, but very durable.

In the past I've had myriad pairs of Merrills with Vibram soles. I always wear the uppers out.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
12/13/21 8:00 p.m.

Icon 1000 El Bajo boots. I DD a motorcycle and they have enough protection in them that I couldn't say no. TPU insoles and the current pair has lasted me around 2 years with no sign of stopping. I stopped dragging my toes out of laziness and the toe of the sole stopped abrading, magic! The inner liner is started to wear away on the heels and I probably ought to replace the insole at some point but they're comfortable enough for me to wear 9hrs a day at work. (Office work, if I was doing anything more strenuous I would want different boots.) They can get a little warm, like today when I discovered that the AC at work is needing replaced so it was pretty warm, but no major complaints.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/13/21 8:38 p.m.

RedWings

I wear them to school/work, to weddings, out on dates, whereever. They just go with almost everything. Made in USA, theyll last me till I die...and I'll be buried in those damned things.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/13/21 8:54 p.m.

I just retired a pair of Garmont boots this year. They carried me though the Inca trail to Macchu Picchu, up mount doom (actually Ruapehu) and through the Tongariro Crossing and from glacier to rain forest. Awesome boots that gave me 21 years of service and were still comfortable but started to make my toes cramp after a day or wearing them. I threw them out this year but almost felt like they belonged in a museum. I loved those boots. Replaced with new Garmonts and given my status as parent to young kids they're spending more time in the garden than on the trail but they're serving my needs nicely. 

goodbye old friends:

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
12/13/21 9:15 p.m.

I work outside, lifting and moving heavy stuff on uneven ground and have an old ankle injury that never really healed up. So I gotta wear boots 24 7 365 for the ankle support. One day in bare feet or sneakers and it will let me know about it...  I've tried Asolo and Solomon and geez I dunno how many others, and currently have 2 outfits I can use. I'm awful rough on boots, I ruined a set of Solomons in half a year, but I can get 2 or 3 seasons out of a pair of Zamberlins. They're on the heavy side but tough as nails and comfy enough for the all day all season routine. Right now I'm in a pair of Crispi.. odd name, another Italian Vibram sole Gortex setup. They're lighter, just about as comfy as the Zamberlins, I've only had em since last spring so the jury's out of how they'll hold up but so far so good.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/13/21 11:23 p.m.

7 league boots.

If you don't stretch first, they can be a bit uncomfortable.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/13/21 11:53 p.m.

For work my Nick's Builder Pro, custom built for my feet and handmade.  Almost indestructible and fit is amazing.  Two downsides.  Very heavy and brutal break in.  I will have Nick's build a set of motorcycle boots for me soon.  No factory made mass market boot is in the same league as any of the PNW handmade boot companies.  Nick's,  Frank's and White's are the pinnacle.

For everything else I love my Iron Rangers. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/21 9:36 a.m.

All-weather boots are important when you're paddling a canoe.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/21 9:47 a.m.

Deleted after realizing my favorite term for gettin' some has been taken over by some pop-country guy

AaronT
AaronT Reader
4/5/22 10:24 p.m.

I have a pair of Grant Stone Brass boots in Horween #8 that I really like. If the Goodyear welt thing is your jam, it's an option.

I don't enjoy boots for hiking so I just wear an aggressive train runner for that sort of thing.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vGUuxibI4TR6ivX8Z8WxxgJtAmLUysFpsOlH1NGVQiJwhOab3kWTkkNNc5PeJczh