1 2 3 4 5 6
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/3/22 1:20 p.m.
SpeedwayFan said:

In reply to aircooled :

I asked my mom if she thinks I could be a comedian and she said no 

You see, that right there, is funny.

That would be a great opening line for your routine.  It's really all in the delivery. You are on your way.  wink  (seriously, that made me laugh)

(you might want to also look at Sam Kinison and Bobcat Goldthwait)

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/3/22 1:24 p.m.

That for most people HS| was going to be the peak of their life and for the other half the start was after HS. 

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan New Reader
6/3/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Well I like to think of myself as three things

Talkative, Talented, and a Terrible human being

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan New Reader
6/3/22 1:26 p.m.

In reply to SpeedwayFan :

You know I'm listening to a steel drum music and I just got an ad for engagement rings. I was like bruh why the hell do I need an engagement ring if I don't even have any friends

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/3/22 1:28 p.m.
SpeedwayFan said:

In reply to SpeedwayFan :

You know I'm listening to a steel drum music and I just got an ad for engagement rings. I was like bruh why the hell do I need an engagement ring if I don't even have any friends

I'm with aircooled on your standup comedy potential.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/3/22 1:29 p.m.
SpeedwayFan said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

Ok first off yes we don't get lunch breaks and 2nd My doctor doesn't use an online portal and if I say that I wanna ask my doctor a medical question then my parents are just gonna ask me what the question is they don't let me keep secrets from them

"Because I'm a teenager, and because I'm a teenager."

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/3/22 1:30 p.m.
SpeedwayFan said:

In reply to aircooled :

Well I like to think of myself as three things

Talkative, Talented, and a Terrible human being

OK. maybe you start with that then.  E.g.:

"Hello everyone.  My name is (speedway).  I am talkative, talented... and a terrible human being.   I once asked my mom if I could be a comedian... she said no."

Based on the setup, you probably want to go down the path of how horrible you are, but maybe those things are not really that horrible, maybe just things people think are horrible, but in your (twisted) view, you are just helping them.

E.g.  Do these jeans look good?   No, those are some horrible a## jeans and they make you look like someone stuffed an X into and X... What?   Hey, I'm just trying to help.... you asked!

(you will have to work on the cadence / timing of it)

You could even go down the path of the Speedway info you posted.  How it was so much more exciting then, because you never know when someone will die.  Horrible.. yes...but more exciting... right?!

Seriously, if you deliver that first line right.  People will laugh.   You just need to develop you cadence (like I say, watch some comedians, observe the rhythm of how they talk).  Norm McDonald also had a very distinct / creative and very funny cadence). 

Of note:  Be aware that people that know you are not the best target or test audience.  You need people who don't know you to get a realistic reaction.

Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
6/3/22 1:35 p.m.

Something I wish I knew in high school is that not everyone is going to like you, and that's okay. A girl in my german class once turned around and said to me "even your laugh is annoying, why are you like this?" and I hadn't even been talking to her.

It takes a long time to find your niche. I spent years trying to be friends with the other nerdy kids. I was on the math team, and smart, but for the most part they all thought I was too weird. After getting into theater, I realized I was able to be myself and I wouldn't have to make myself smaller to fit in a space. 

It sounds like you're working really hard, and you currently view your parents as your biggest obstacle. Maybe try sitting down with them and asking if they can help you make friends/join a club/etc? Something my mom always told me (and sometimes still tells me even at age 26) is that tone makes a big difference. Make sure you aren't being sarcastic when you ask, and they'll take you more seriously.

Sometimes that still doesn't work, and if that's the case just know that it gets better. Life after high school gets much bigger and more flexible. That holds true whether or not you go to college.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/3/22 1:36 p.m.

Serious answers to the original question:

1)  Choose your profession wisely.  Not just what you like to do & how much money you will make, but what locations are available to work?  How is the job flexiblity? What are the benefits like?  I'm an engineer.  I make good money, and enjoy my work, but I am often jealous of those with much more location flexibility or non-standard schedules.

2)  I wish I had the discipline I have now with respect to diet and training.  When you are in HS you have the time, energy, physical recovery, and lack of responsibility to dedicate to it.  Most people dont have the discipline then.  By the time you get it, a lot of other responsibilities are fighting for your time.

3) The power of compound interest & how to invest.  I would definitely be retired by now (I'm 38).

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/3/22 1:38 p.m.
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/22 1:59 p.m.

Prepare yourself for an answer that is vague and absolutely illustrates what I mean:

What do I wish I knew in high school?

Subtlety

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/3/22 2:30 p.m.

Get a job at an automotive place , Even something boring like Jiffylube.

see if there is a Tech school nearby , take machine shop, welding etc

if your parents will let you , buy a project car , something simple like a VW bug ,  just so you can learn how to wrench , 

Go to local community college and take all  the basic classes , English , math , etc

Be a kid......it all seems so important now , but really it's not

We were all weird / out of place when we were teenagers , 

Good luck ,  post some of the car drawings you have done...

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/3/22 3:03 p.m.

I wish I knew about the awesome power and incredible danger of compound interest.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/3/22 3:15 p.m.
aircooled said:
SpeedwayFan said:

In reply to aircooled :

I asked my mom if she thinks I could be a comedian and she said no 

You see, that right there, is funny.

That would be a great opening line for your routine.  It's really all in the delivery. You are on your way.  wink  (seriously, that made me laugh)

(you might want to also look at Sam Kinison and Bobcat Goldthwait)

I had a laugh too. It's so preposterous asking your mom if you could be a comedian hahaha. Definitely not cutting on you....I can 100% imagine that scene.  Awesome dude. You might like some Larry David too. Curb your enthusiasm is solid gold.  

Take that comic instinct and learn to laugh at yourself in a kind way. Believe it or not, I'm the guy in most of my family and friend groups "with the sense of humor". And honestly, most of it is making fun of myself. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/3/22 3:22 p.m.

Wish I was better at social skill but thankful I took typing class.  OK, it was full of girls but the typing comes in handy!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/22 3:31 p.m.
SpeedwayFan said:

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

Well here's the thing I have no friends and nobody talks to me

Like it or not you are now stuck with all of us.  Don't underestimate the bonds of friendship that are in this forum.  There are many people here that I don't really know that I have never met in person but if asked to help I would or if the need becomes apparent and they are not asking for help this group will move mountains for them. 

Just be you.  The fact that you are asking really good questions goes a long way in my book.  Yes, you are the new guy but that is ok. Everyone here gets a fair shake.  There are some here who I know we disagree on many things but I have the highest respect for and have no problem reaching out to.   This is one huge melting pot of people.  It really is a weird wonderful place that is very unique.     

As for high school in many ways, I was like you with the exception that my parents were not really around.  I had to take care of a lot of things myself starting in grade school.  I messed a lot of things up.  For the record I don't blame my parents they were dealt some bad hands in the game of life and they did the best they could.  

Looking back on things I really wish I had spent more time with my parents.  It may suck now for you and they can seem to be suffocating at times.  Please try and understand that they are fumbling their way through life just like everyone else is.  They are doing what they think is best.  You don't realize it now but you are one of the lucky ones.  What it tells me is that they care about you a lot.  Something else to think of. Have you ever asked your parents to do something with you of your choosing?  Even if it is just going for a walk.  Looking back I wish I had spent more time with my parents. I wish I had asked them to just go for a walk or bike ride.

Getting back to high school.  For me and many, I know the social dynamic that is high school seems all-important now but it has no bearing on the rest of your life. 99.9 percent of the people you meet after high school don't know anything about you and really don't care if you were a geek or a football player or if you spent all your time in the computer labs.   They don't care if you were "popular".  This may sound really weird now but once you are done with high school you are DONE with high school.  

You seem like a great person/kid and I am glad you found this place.  I hope you stick around. I hope to learn more from you in the future.  Maybe you can give us "old people" a window and some insight into the younger generation.   

dean1484
6/3/22 3:38 p.m.

Oh if it helps I am on the other side of 50 and I am still trying to figure out life.  Every time I think I got it I get older and realize just how wrong the younger me was about things.  This does not mean I don't listen to the younger me.  It just means I sometimes laugh at the younger me.  Always be able to laugh at yourself.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/3/22 3:40 p.m.
gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
6/3/22 3:44 p.m.

What I wish I knew when I was younger is that when you get old and look back on your life you wont be bothered at all by the times you tried and failed. What keeps you up at night are the chances you didnt take, the connections you didn't make, and the adventures you didn't have.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/3/22 4:10 p.m.

Going into debt is rarely worth it.

When a school guidance counselor tells you that you are "too smart" to go into the trades, ignore him.

Your life will be just fine if you can't do algebra or memorize the 44 propositions.

Unless you want to have kids, do not get married.

Start saving for retirement TODAY.

In just a couple years that car/truck/motorcycle you really want when it first comes out will be a used vehicle you can buy for half as much.

Read The Rational Male and absorb the knowledge.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/3/22 4:26 p.m.

Always wear sunscreen...

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/3/22 4:59 p.m.

All kidding aside...

When your shot comes, be sure you take it.

I've done it twice and I'm about to try it again. Not sure if I'll make it work a third time but that's half the fun.

Something inspiring from Henry Rollins:

dean1484
6/3/22 5:52 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Always wear sunscreen...

This!!!!!  Probably one of the best pieces of advise in this tread!!!  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/3/22 6:54 p.m.

You'd be surprised at how few people from your high school career mean absolutely dick in the long term. It's not 0, but it's very close to that. Don't sweat the jackasses, if they're anything like the ones in my school, they go to prison for ponzi schemes.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/3/22 7:00 p.m.
dean1484 said:
ShawnG said:

Always wear sunscreen...

This!!!!!  Probably one of the best pieces of advise in this tread!!!  

I figured someone would have caught this by now:

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
12hrvcPb7ZzhqjnzZYswUo6EuJEmSb5mKBE9lsEA2UfD8BTlFhXy5im4YAUBSh00