Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/25/23 8:49 p.m.

I already have E36 M3 hearing. I went to s show in DeLand a little more than a year ago and lost hearing for several days after. It's very uncomfortable, and because I am on the wrong side of.... yeah - I'd like to not do that again. I'm going to a show in Orlando in March (unwritten law at the conduit) and I'm making good life choices and obtaining hearing protection. 

That's where y'all come in. I know you like live music. I know at least one of you would actually go to this show (authority zero is an opening act, and the reason I'm going). Y'all have done this before. Tell me what to stick in my ears. 

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/23 8:52 p.m.

My wife wears these and says they're great. I should probably get some before the next time we go to a show.

https://us.loopearplugs.com/products/experience

BoulderG
BoulderG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/25/23 9:14 p.m.

I am a huge advocate of hearing protection! I even wear the cheapie foam plugs when vacuuming, mowing the lawn, etc.

After some research, I bought these from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015QL3ADG

Last year I got better hearing protection for concerts and it made a noticeable difference. Not ultramassive, but worth it. Sound is overall clearer than compared to the foam, with much better treble definition.

There are plenty of similar options at various price points. I liked the cord on these and really appreciate the different ear canal inserts since my ears are noticeably differently sized.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/25/23 10:01 p.m.

Having recently been to a few college football games, I realize that I need to find something suitable for that venue.  The crowd noise is tolerable.  The loud thing is the freaking PA system which is turned up to eleven in order to be heard over the crowd in any circumstance.  It's constantly too annoyingly loud.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
1/25/23 10:09 p.m.

I got some a few years ago from Guitar Center but it looks like they don't sell that brand anymore.  They do have a few choices that should be good.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/25/23 10:31 p.m.

In the late 70's, early 80's I attended concerts that had my ears ringing the rest of the night.  Thanks, Rush 2112, Yes and Foghat.

I wonder what damage that all did so I had my hearing tested at age 60.  All good but I do wear foam plugs or ear muffs with yard equipment or table saws.  I wore foam plugs at this years Indy 500.

I would just use the foam ear plugs.  

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
1/26/23 8:11 a.m.

You should check the noise reduction decibel rating. My yellow 3M foam plugs have a 29 decimal rating.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/26/23 9:08 a.m.

I've had Earpeace earplugs hanging off my keychain for many years: concerts, race cars, etc. Love 'em.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/26/23 9:30 a.m.

I'm sure this isn't the answer that you want, but I've seen a review of some sound canceling headphones.  Where you can adjust the amount of sound that gets through.  The reviewer thought they would be perfect for a concert, where they take out the dangerous stuff, but you still hear what is going on.

If not for the 2 orders of magnitude of higher cost, though....

David S. Wallens
1/26/23 9:45 a.m.

I'll add that I find that the Earpeace earplugs seem to just turn down the volume. If anything, I can hear the music better with them in. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/23 10:21 a.m.

Another one for Earpeace.

I also like that last time I bought them (it's been a while), the nifty little aluminum canister contained three.

"We know you're going to lose one, and we'll cover you 'til you lose a second."

As a cheap alternative available at the grocery store, I prefer the finned swimming plugs to general purpose foam plugs for music. They probably don't quiet as much, but I think they sound better. Or that's the way I recall it last time I was comparing (it's been... some number of years).

EDIT For pic:

David S. Wallens
1/26/23 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Yes to that backup earplug!

And my Earpeace case was originally black. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/27/23 6:35 a.m.

Another Earpeace user here.  I got a set for use when I'm riding, especially on the freeway.   I've also got a big box of Howard Leight Max-1 plugs for garage and general usage.  I've taken these to concerts and they work well.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/27/23 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I have a few sets similar these from Sam Ash. For concerts they seem to work well.  I also keep a bulk package of foam plugs in my overnight bag in case I'm in a hotel room with neighboring noise (snoring will prevent me from falling asleep).

Earpeace looks interesting. I'll look into those. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/27/23 9:00 a.m.

I've been using Hearos for years:

Started using these when I was gigging and in band practice, since I was making the most noise as a drummer. Still use them when I go to shows and when I need ear protection. 

They also make these ones: 

These also do a good job. Both tend to lower the volume and maintain some sort of fidelity as opposed to others out there. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/23 6:13 a.m.

I've been thinking about some sort of hearing protection that I can wear at work. Our kennel and treatment area are all in one place, and it can be very loud.

These high quality hearing protection devices seem like they would work well and still allow communication with the people around me. The complicating problem is that I need to be able to quickly deploy my stethoscope many times a day. I would have to interrupt my exam to wash and dry my hands, remove the earplugs, find a clean spot to set them down, then proceed. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/23 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I don't suppose there are any e-stethoscopes that would allow you to put headphones over the earplugs and adjust the output to be able to hear? Looks like there are bluetooth ear plugs for hearing protection with sound if there's a way to get the stethoscope as an input.

Bluetooth ear plugs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VVNRF6?th=1 (not sure how these do for sound quality *not* through the plugs)

Bluetooth (through phone) stethoscope: https://www.amazon.com/Stemoscope-Digital-Listening-Device-Monitoring/dp/B07Y81J7ZL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5dZjTM4uRolhATJHL2p5AJRrXr4ce9nnbPa0nrYZwcni2M5YwboiI65hxek6qOs5