1 2 3 ... 10
hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/3/21 9:35 a.m.

It's likely been discussed before, but curious what you all do for work.

Im a high school history teacher, American History is my thing, but they've got me doing some Civics/Gov classes this year. 

I tell stories for a living and love it. To have some kids decide they want to go into history or teaching because of the impact youve made - yeah, totally worth it. Im at a great school in the Triad of North Carolina and super happy. On my seventh year (plus one for student teaching) and have no desire to change.

What about you folks?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/3/21 9:43 a.m.

I do mental health housing subsidies and case management as well as crisis intervention. 

Its pretty wild sometimes. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/3/21 9:44 a.m.

Commercial ammonia refrigeration, general welding/fabrication and building/vehicles maintenance and manager. That's my day job or the best description of it. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
11/3/21 9:44 a.m.

I design stuff for police cars, mostly.  They let me work 4 day weeks so I keep doing it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/3/21 9:48 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

Im a high school history teacher, American History is my thing, but they've got me doing some Civics/Gov classes this year.

Halle-berking-looyah.  Please make the most of that before they decide to take it away again.  Lack of Civics education is a lot of why we're in this mess.

I'm an architect, mostly specializing in K-12 educational work, but really doing anything except healthcare.

At least for a couple more years.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/3/21 9:52 a.m.
Duke said:
hybridmomentspass said:

Halle-berking-looyah.  Please make the most of that before they decide to take it away again.  Lack of Civics education is a lot of why we're in this mess.

I'm an architect, mostly specializing in K-12 educational work, but really doing anything except healthcare.

At least for a couple more years.

Which part do you worry about?

Unfortunately, the American History classes will be changing next year (Again, Im in NC)

Currently it's American 1 (exploration until about 1877) and American 2 (1870-today). But next year we'll have ONE American...so one semester to go from 1754 until today. Im not stoked. 

Like, right now, we're wrapping up the WW2 unit and Im showing an episode of the World War series that History did a few years ago. It's 90 minutes long and the third of three in this series. Kids like it, I like it, very good stuff. But next year I wont have the time to show something like this to supplement their learning. That is why Im not stoked.

Civics will change, too, but not by much. Now it's Civics with SOME economics, next year there will be a whole econ course in high schools + the separate civics, so that's good, in my opinion

calteg
calteg Dork
11/3/21 9:54 a.m.

Dealerships pay me to tell them why they suck and how they can improve

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/3/21 9:54 a.m.

Technically I am a computational biologist, but do everything from traipsing through the outdoors identifying specimens, sitting at a desk writing code, out in the shed building drones, on the bench designing new research equipment, or getting sent to wherever else there is a square hole that needs my round peg. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/21 9:55 a.m.

I'm an architect. Mostly custom residential, usually larger homes and additions. I'd like to retire but probably not for a long time yet.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/21 9:55 a.m.

House husband. Would not recommend. But unless I never want to sleep or want to hand an entire paycheck over to a babysitter which negates the whole point of having a job, it's what I gotta do. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/3/21 10:04 a.m.

Senior Technical Writer for a large cloud-based, eCommerce company. If you've ever shopped at Williams-Sonoma, or any of their associated companies, they use our software. 

I write online help documentation that explains how to use a section of our software to add/delete/edit all manner of different types of content in their webstore. Which is far easier than doing it in the "backend" IE in all the records based stuff, you might call it our version of a WYSIWYG editor for the webstore. 

I've also worked in manufacturing, aerospace, and defense industries writing opreation/repair manuals for everything from large power distribution systems on naval ships and submarines, backup and restore procedures for autoclaves that make carbon fiber parts for 787s, and winches from small ones that go on your Jeep all the way up to 150k lb winches used on oil rigs. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/3/21 10:06 a.m.

I'm a professional cat herder. Pays pretty well, but there are occasional late-night miscreants to herd.

Margie

wae
wae UberDork
11/3/21 10:08 a.m.

My kids and wife complain that they don't know what I do for a living.  The problem is, neither do I.  Mostly I sit on pointless meetings just in case someone needs my area of expertise.  Spoiler alert: they rarely do.  Technically, I am a cloud data storage architect, what-theberkeley-ever that's supposed to mean.  It basically entails trying to make the primary, backup, and archive storage we offer to our customers better products.  But I also wind up being L4 escalation for our ops team which means when they can't figure something out that involves storage, they call me.  The dirty secret is that all I do is go to the storage vendor's site, download the documentation, and read it back to them.  But they're apparently unable to do that because.....  uh, reasons?  The upside is that it pays okay, it was 90% WFH before March 13th 2020 and 100% WFH since then with no sign of a back-to-the-office mandate, and it's flexible enough that I can pick up the kids from school, cook dinner most every night, and do some volunteer work.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/3/21 10:09 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:
Duke said:
hybridmomentspass said:

Which part do you worry about?

Pretty much everything from how a Republic actually works, to the Constitution, to what the government's actual responsibilities to the citizens are (and vice versa).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/3/21 10:09 a.m.

Engineer at an aerospace megacorp.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/21 10:12 a.m.

I run a concrete company.

There's a lot of cat herding there too

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/3/21 10:15 a.m.

Content consultant mostly for automotive stuff. You want to sell more car related stuff but are tired of buying ads? Then you talk to me. I work with marketing teams as the "car guy" so the content is legit. I may write some of it myself, but most of it I hire out. I'm a marketing weasel, it's fun.

I guess I'm also an automotive journalist. Nothing like some of the really talented journalists we have around here, but it pays some bills. Working on three articles right now.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/3/21 10:17 a.m.
Duke said:

Pretty much everything from how a Republic actually works, to the Constitution, to what the government's actual responsibilities to the citizens are (and vice versa).

We START with the duties and responsibilities of citizens, what a citizen is, how to be(come) a citizen etc. 

Yeah, we cover the responsibilities of government too, encourage students to LEARN about parties and local ordinances etc, what they can do to make an impact

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/21 10:20 a.m.

I applied to veterinary school so that my dad would quit bugging me about it. I figured I'd get turned down, and then do what I really wanted to do, go teach. Probably history.

I work on cats and dogs now.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/3/21 10:20 a.m.

Product Development Engineer at an US OEM.  Not much longer, though.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/3/21 10:22 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Engineer at an aerospace megacorp.

I ride with him...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/21 10:22 a.m.

Engineer in flood mitigation design for people that were too stupid to read flood plain charts before they built or are now facing the effects of climate change.

A lot of NYC jobs and similar areas recently.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/3/21 10:23 a.m.

I work at a port, as a parts guy. We have a bunch of refrigeration techs that repair units on shipping containers and I try to make sure all those babies have the parts they need to do their jobs. Also get parts/supplies for the power shop (that fixes onsite equipment like our trucks/vans).

Most of my time is spent being a liaison between our vendors accounting departments and my own companies accounting department attempting to reason out why we haven't paid our bills on time.

I've only been here a little over a year. Before that was 15 years selling auto parts wholesale for a big green auto parts store. Which was much more fun, but paid almost nothing.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/3/21 10:25 a.m.

Sole locksmith for a federal hospital.  It means I issue keys, fix locks, replace hardware, and generally keep people honest about where they go and what they are allowed to access.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/21 10:28 a.m.

I'm what they call a Senior Advance Residential Technician for a large telecommunications company but I like to tell people that I'm an amateur race car builder.

1 2 3 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yG16ZjgXUfhnSABmwljq7oJWY9NPuKuTwywNYq0CqVM3eDXuKUwdJHPHtFnsdSj2