That is what we feed ours.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/21/21 5:43 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Blue Buffalo is better.

That is what we feed ours.  

Blue Buffalo, sixth from the top in reported cases. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/29/21 7:54 p.m.

I have a friend who's a manager at PetSmart.  I forwarded the link to this thread to her just in case she wanted to add her $.02.  Here it is:

If a dog is becoming picky out of nowhere, I’d say a vet visit is a good idea. As far as food recommendations go it’s a lot like everything else; big brands are pricey because you’re paying for the name. Vets will recommend science diet, royal canine and purina because those are the familiar names with a science background. I’m a big believer in rotation feeling. Have two or three or more options when you get food and rotate them out. Keeps the pets interested, expands the gut biom and makes shopping easier with the unreliable nature of the pandemic marketplace. I’m not going to touch the grain debate, that is a personal decision and there is so much fear-mongering with it. I do think raw is best but it’s not for everyone, if you think you can pop a pound of ground beef in a bowl and call it a day please just stick to commercially available food. If you do go raw you should be treating your pets food the same as you would for your family, food handling and cleanliness are just as important for dog food.

Claff
Claff Reader
1/29/21 8:23 p.m.

After being fed the same food since they graduated from puppy food, or two pugs (16 and 11 years old) suddenly decided they didn't like it. I think it happened when I started a new bag, which makes me think something changed.

Both dogs have been to the doctor and nothing has been found amiss. The older guy has a kidney issue and was prescribed a certain food, which turned out to be a good thing because he'll eat the whole bowl in one sitting. The younger gets a mix of the previous food (which she'd merely peck at a bit at a time all day) and the kidney prescription food, and she'll usually empty the bowl. So they will eat, but they don't like what they've always been fed. Dogs don't make sense.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
2/8/22 11:58 a.m.

Looks like there's another canoe in town.

....but I'm glad the thread got bumped. Been feeding Dog blue buffalo since he became a part of my family and will start looking at the other options you all have listed. @Floating Doc thanks for taking the time to write that post a year ago or whatever it was; I really appreciate the information. It is harder and harder to get decent information on the internet these days, but GRM never fails!

I never really thought about it, but rotating through different foods makes a lot of sense to me. I don't think I'd do so well if I ate only one meal over and over.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/22 1:55 p.m.

I'm really glad this popped back up. Just got a new husky and have been feeding it 'taste of the wild' like our older, smaller dog was getting. That's getting switched out soon...

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
2/8/22 2:13 p.m.

Purina One Plus healthy weight high protein formula

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
2/8/22 2:29 p.m.

I ended up having to go grain free because every bag I tried from multiple brands gave my dog diarrhea. Now she gets Grandma Mae's Grain Free Water buffalo, and I supliment it a couple times a week with fresh cooked rice that doesn't seem to destroy her stomach

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
4/25/22 9:26 a.m.

Greyhound gets Pro Plan 20/30, 2 cups, 2x a day.  White rice, 1 cup, 2x a day.  6oz of poached chicken breast, 2x a day.  1tbs of pureed pumpkin, 2x a day.  He has a very sensitive stomach. 

Whippet gets a scaled down portion of the same diet, except with Taste of the Wild Prarrie, with grains.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/25/22 10:25 a.m.

We feed raw, usually 1/2 chicken (bones and all) or deer to our Brittany. When we can't, Earthborn Wholistic from TSC.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/22 10:28 a.m.

We have had about 6 dogs over the years. We have always feed them Purina Dog Chow. I could be wrong, but I don't recollect Purina ever being recalled. Della also gets a dollop of Purina canned food, and one fish oil pill and one glucosamine pill a day along with yogurt, apples, and carrots, just because we think that dogs are really just small bears with tails. smiley

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/25/22 11:04 a.m.

We tried to move away from the Hills Science Diet Gastrointestinal biome but every time we do our dog gets the craps.  Seems this is the only food he can eat to keep solid bowels.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/25/22 11:41 a.m.

My son's neighbor had a bag of Core Wellness delivered about a week after he moved away, he gave it to Ian.  The kibbles were too big for his tiny dogs so he gave it to me.  Winter loved it until we got near the bottom of the bag; was it stale or was he tired of it?  Now we buy assorted 5lb. bags of the stuff in different flavors.  

I understand Core freeze dries meat, grinds it into a powder and sprays it onto the kibbles.  When the puppy eats it, the saliva moisture reconstitutes the meat.  Clever.

Winter's happy.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/25/22 1:41 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Askpet said:

Before giving your dog any people food, do your research to make sure it's safe. Never feed your dog toxic human items such as: chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins. Bland Diet for Dogs is very good, when an owner sees the sign of vomiting, diarrhea etc.

Canoe.

But stepdad's mom used to feed her little dog (one of those <20lb breeds) chocolates and salads all the time.  She loved Italian dressing on the salads, apparently.  Was horrified to learn this, but by this time the dog had ten years of chocolate and no end in sight.

She also used to love running around with a cigarette dangling from her mouth!

My grandmother had a cocker spaniel that, at one point in it's (short) life, was fed a diet exclusively of Arby's roast beef sandwiches. This had been going on for months before the rest of the family was horrified to learn of the true reason for the dog's sudden weight gain (she was no featherweight to begin with either), and when her vet then suggested supplementing the dog's diet with green beans instead as part of a weight loss regimen this was somehow interpreted as feeding an entire can of green beans IN ADDITION to the Arby's sandwiches and continued that way a while longer surprise. That poor dog lived to maybe 8 or 9 at best.  

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/25/22 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I realize this is an old thread at this point, but just wanted to say thanks for the info. My lab/Aussie mix has been on 4Health the past few months, I'll definitely be switching the next time he runs out. Fortunately, he's not a picky eater at all, he'll devour anything put in front of him. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/23 1:23 a.m.

Waking the zombie because Mama came home with a bag of Rachel Ray and the picture of peas on the label reminded me of Floating Doc's post about heart health linked to legumes. 

In reply to toyhousefrenchies :

we don't.  not even if they're in a canoe.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8W1tSTqnB7M5V5pzDPufSv9eDw6aNevS0KiWCPDkd9dxeYJpM1VvTfoEoDvK2Lpa