1 2 3 ... 23
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/22/20 7:15 a.m.

It seems to have just disappeared. What happened to it?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/22/20 7:24 a.m.

Interesting.  Obviously a motorhead conspiracy to stomp out human-powered transportation, probably financed by Big Oil.

My first thought was that it would have been moved to the "Sprockets" forum, which was unfortunately re-named to something mind-numbingly mundane, at which time I chose to boycott it in protest. 

But nope, it's not there either.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/22/20 7:26 a.m.

The mods and admins have been looking into it. As far as I know we don't have an answer yet, but the search has begun. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/22/20 7:45 a.m.

speaking of, does anyone remember who started that thread?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/22/20 1:54 p.m.

Man, I was just going to post in that thread. frown

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
5/23/20 11:43 a.m.

Try motorcycles and bicycle page.    Maybe it got moved there.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
5/24/20 9:08 a.m.

In reply to iceracer :

That where it was.

It isn't there.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/25/20 8:02 a.m.

It has seemed to pedal off into obscurity. wink

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/25/20 9:12 a.m.
dxman92 said:

Probably for the best.  It was a poopstorm waiting to happen.  Two opposing factions--one lunatic bunch of head-banging mountain-bikers riding full suspensions and disk brakes, the other sensible, tea-drinking traditionalists riding proper road bikes consisting of little more than a frame, two wheels, and rudimentary rim brakes that might actually stop the bike, but not if they happened to get wet. 

You put two diametrically opposed groups like that in a room together, and they'll be at each others throats inside of five minutes.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/25/20 9:16 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

The mods and admins have been looking into it. As far as I know we don't have an answer yet, but the search has begun. 

Are these the same folks that are looking for Ron and Nicole's real killers?

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/25/20 10:09 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
dxman92 said:

Probably for the best.  It was a poopstorm waiting to happen.  Two opposing factions--one lunatic bunch of head-banging mountain-bikers riding full suspensions and disk brakes, the other sensible, tea-drinking traditionalists riding proper road bikes consisting of little more than a frame, two wheels, and rudimentary rim brakes that might actually stop the bike, but not if they happened to get wet. 

You put two diametrically opposed groups like that in a room together, and they'll be at each others throats inside of five minutes.

I think it's more likely that they'll come up with a weird hybrid between the two... and convince themselves it never existed before and that they're all geniuses for coming up with it.

The good news is... it doesn't look like it was taken out by a mis-placed spam-bomb that also took out all of thestig99's threads and deactivated their account.  Unfortunately, the mods have been informed that it's "on the list"... but there's a bit of a backlog before they can get it re-instated.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/25/20 10:16 a.m.

D'oh.  I thought I did a 50 km ride on Saturday on the trails near our cottage.  Turns out I did a 49.7 km ride.  That kind of grinds my gears.

I made up for the missing 300 m on Sunday by doing another 43 km total.  I feel pretty good , though I am aware of my knees.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/25/20 1:13 p.m.

In reply to ZOO (Forum Supporter) :

0.3 km?  That's well under the tolerance for rounding error.  I'll allow it. laugh

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/25/20 8:49 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I went for a ride over the weekend to and on our local mountain bike trails with this abomination:

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/26/20 8:01 a.m.

I've been riding the Mongeese a lot lately, trying to get back in a rhythm of riding. I've ID'ed a 4 mile loop near my house that works well for workouts. It's mostly uphill, which has been a challenge on both bikes. But it does have one really cool spot to take photos:

I have swapped on some new parts on both bikes, including those Kool Stop "salmon" compound brakes, new bars on the black one, and new tires on the green one. I have a work stand on the way and a shifter cable kit for the green one; I'm sick of the bad shifting and chain drops for no reason. After that's fixed, both bikes should hold me over for a while. They are tons of fun for 20+ year old bikes!

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/26/20 8:39 a.m.

I did ~10km in my rig today, dropping off school Library books.  Get to do it again in two weeks for more 'end of school' stuff.  I should probably figure out a way to up the frequency to once/week.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/26/20 8:59 a.m.

Waiting on a hernia surgery has me off the bike for the forseeable future - likely until fall. And it's really starting to bum me out.

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/26/20 9:51 a.m.

I finally got back on my bike last week after a month and a half or so. We knocked down 51 miles over two days and I cursed myself for staying off so long. I really need more hours in the day.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/26/20 8:52 p.m.

Dumb question: Can I replace the 3x7 Shimano STX RC shifters on my old Mongoose MTB with something newer without having major issues? 

That's the inside of the shifter. That black piece is NOT supposed to spin. I was trying to figure out why it wasn't shifting correctly, and well, yeah... sad

These are STX RC trigger shifters with integrated brake handles. I'd love to keep it on a GRM-friendly (aka cheap) budget if possible. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/20 9:14 p.m.

Looks like it was an indexed shifter so another 7-speed indexed shifter should work, you might also have to do some adjustment on the shifter end though.

I have posts for this thread, awaiting its return...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/27/20 7:26 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Dumb question: Can I replace the 3x7 Shimano STX RC shifters on my old Mongoose MTB with something newer without having major issues? 

That's the inside of the shifter. That black piece is NOT supposed to spin. I was trying to figure out why it wasn't shifting correctly, and well, yeah... sad

These are STX RC trigger shifters with integrated brake handles. I'd love to keep it on a GRM-friendly (aka cheap) budget if possible

I am pretty sure any Shimano 7 speed shifter should work or even an 8 speed. https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1339/bicycle-rear-shifter-compatibility/ 

I'd get on ebay honestly and just look for something cheap.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/27/20 11:17 a.m.

Glad I saved these things off my old Schwinn:

I knew I had them, but I had taken one apart and lost the pieces to the insides, or so I thought. I found all the pieces and put them back together. Hopefully they work better than the broken ones currently on the bike.  They aren't pretty, but free is free!

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/27/20 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

It looks like you are using Canti brakes on both of your bikes but those new levers are for V-brakes which require a longer cable pull. You will have very little leverage with those levers on your current brakes. If the shifter work nicely I'd just get a set of V-brakes off of amazon/ebay/local bicycle recycling place and replace the canti's with them and enjoy some increased braking power.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/27/20 1:36 p.m.

In reply to adam525i (Forum Supporter) :

Eh, crap. Forgot about that. The old bike had V-brakes, and I think I threw them out.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
5/27/20 8:49 p.m.

SWMBO was nice enough to let me go on a ride all five days I was off for the holiday and my birthday.  Over 200 miles and 10,000 vertical feet later my knees are not very happy, but the rest of me feels better than I have in years..

Heading out on the Tail of the Dragon Tuesday morning (before it dumped rain on us)

Bald River Falls

Foothills Parkway today

1 2 3 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
siTbV5rtv3WjyjDtbmZsNBmH9TNKcYUNJxJbmTHnh0aEEwAnktZEiJRqOat2uQvn