1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23
pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/1/22 7:07 p.m.

My wife now insists that any bike she rides has a dropper post. 

It allows her to get better leg extension while pedaling, but she when she's unsure of the terrain she'll drop the post so she can put a foot down more easily. 

I've ridden with a lot of newbs who ride with their seat entirely too low. It's hard on your knees. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/1/22 7:10 p.m.

Klampers with big discs will produce plenty of stopping power. They also need to be adjusted correctly. 

Will they compete with 4-pot calipers? Probably not, but if you know their limitations and aren't fitting them a DH (or EN) bike, then they'll probably be ok. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/22 10:42 p.m.

I wasn't a fan of dropper's until I rented a bike with one and was converted. I'm pretty tall with very long legs, without a dropper I never had an issue getting my weight behind the seat but with a dropper and the saddle down out of your way (but still there, just low) it allows you to get low on the bike which is very different than back on the bike. Your weight is more centered but with your CG lower down in the bike adding stability for technical stuff. 

I've never run Klampers but I do have TRP Spyre's on my CX bike and Monstercross bike (old hardtail 29er with drop bars and road brifters). The CX bike runs 160 mm rotors and with the 33 mm tires that is fine and way better than any canti setup I've had. Power wise they are no better on that bike than the mini V-pulls I have run but the modulation was a lot better, the mini-V's were more on/off. On the Monstercross bike I run a big 200 mm front and 180 mm rear rotor and that bike feels like it has 2 piston hydraulic brakes on it, lots of power. Both bikes run good compressionless housing though, that is key. I'm also a big guy though with lots of hand strength, my partner runs TRP spyre's on her cross bike and they aren't enough for her so something to keep in mind. I couldn't see spending the money on a set of cable disc brakes for any flat bar bike though, hydraulics are easier to maintain long term with more consistent performance with options at most price points that work.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/2/22 9:39 a.m.
pheller said:

Klampers with big discs will produce plenty of stopping power. They also need to be adjusted correctly. 

Will they compete with 4-pot calipers? Probably not, but if you know their limitations and aren't fitting them a DH (or EN) bike, then they'll probably be ok. 

Maybe it is cause I am bigger guy but a mountain bike personally I want all the braking I can take. I wouldn't go below a 200mm rotor with four pistons on the front.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/22 10:40 a.m.

I wanted a dropper seatpost long before they were a thing. You used to have to set up a compromise position that was a bit below ideal pedaling height for an MTB, and if you wanted to do tricks or a long descent you had to use a quick release to drop the seatpost while off the bike. Now you can run full road-bike pedaling height for climbs and smooth surfaces, and the lower positions are available at the press of a lever.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
8/2/22 10:59 a.m.
pheller said:

I just can't think of why you'd spend the money besides you like the way they look, which really could be said of Paul anything lol. If you're set on cable actuated, at least something like the Spyre has active pistons on both sides instead of flexing the rotor into a static inboard pad. 

I'm also of the "you're never taking my dropper away" camp. I use my dropper more than my shifter. Typical east coast rolling rocky tech.

GameboyRMH said:

I wanted a dropper seatpost long before they were a thing. You used to have to set up a compromise position that was a bit below ideal pedaling height for an MTB, and if you wanted to do tricks or a long descent you had to use a quick release to drop the seatpost while off the bike. Now you can run full road-bike pedaling height for climbs and smooth surfaces, and the lower positions are available at the press of a lever.

I'm totally in love with the dropper post & 1x12 drivetrain on my new bike. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
8/3/22 5:50 p.m.

Huh, Dropper posts look kind of interesting. Are they THAT big of a game changer?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/22 6:12 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

The one really nice convenience I could see with them is that you usually cannot drop a full suspension bike's seat post very far unless it is a design that mostly retains a traditional front triangle.  That I like.

TIL that bike accessories have not changed much in price in 30 years.  Just got a new helmet to replace my ancient one that mice decided to eat for $50.  While I was at it got some nice shorts for $85.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/3/22 7:12 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Huh, Dropper posts look kind of interesting. Are they THAT big of a game changer?

I think so especially if you are taller and ride terrain that either has technical climbs or is rolling. If you just winch up a fire road climb and then have a long descent, I don't think it would be a massive advantage over just dropping the seat at the top of a climb with a quick release. Otherwise it just gives you so much more range of movement. You can lower your center of gravity while staying centered on the bike. Not hanging off the back behind the seat. This is especially important on the more slack bikes of today since otherwise the front wheel has no weight on it. I also find it nice to drop the seat when doing technical bits of climbing not that I am great at that. But for basically larger things to get over not having the seat in the way is super nice. Lowering you cg will cornering especially in fast corners is really nice as well. Basically there is a reason why biking that is heavy focused on skill (BMX, trials, dirt jumping, downhill racing, 4x/dual slalom, freeriding) all have their seats low.

Of course you could do all this before by dropping the seat with a qr but it is way more convenient.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/3/22 8:12 p.m.

I don't use mine very often, but when I do I'm glad it's there. Not at all the intended purpose but it's also handy for making the bike smaller for transport or storage.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/22 10:45 p.m.

I use my dropper post every time I stop. Then I can just sit comfortably on seat. That's the main reason I'd want one on my road bikes...

When you go on a biking vacation and you're not sure what the rides will be:

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
8/4/22 10:56 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

You do have to change up your riding style a bit, but imo yes.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
8/21/22 6:20 p.m.

When cars and bike world cross over...

Quillen 100 Scenic ride started from Bristol International Speedway.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/22 12:11 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I agree. The dropper & 1x12 drivetrain are the two things I love best about my bike. 

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/22/22 4:22 p.m.

Dropper is definitely a game changer. Mine's up/down a few dozen times each ride. pedaling or climbing - post up, descending (short or long, no matter) - drop it out of the way so I can position myself as needed on the bike.

mountain bike geo has come leaps and bounds in the last 10-15 years, a dropper allows a steep seat tube angle for climbing, but gets it out of the way so you aren't over the bars on the first descent. I'd give up front and rear suspension before my dropper, no question. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 6:06 p.m.

Anyone here ever ridden Palmer Park in Colorado Springs? I'm going to be in town for a few days & thought about checking it out. Though I'm a bit concerned that coming from sea-level it might be a bit much for me if there are any big climbs. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
9/6/22 9:18 p.m.

Well I did a thing yesterday and decided to tip my toes into e-Bike world.  This fine unit is a Trek Rail 9.9 AXS.  Ive had the AXS shifting before, but never the AXS dropper.  Its pretty wild.

A few weeks ago there was some chatter on here about the proverbial $10,000 bike as a benchmark.  This turd was $11,500 plus tax in 2020.  Hope I like it!

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/22 9:27 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Pretty sure you're in up to your neck with that one, very nice!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/6/22 10:52 p.m.

CX mode on my Endurace 

GameboyRMH
3/14/23 10:41 a.m.

Got some ceramic brake pads to play around with, definitely putting them on the rear, but maybe also on the front in place of resin pads, thoughts?

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
3/14/23 10:49 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I just tried my first e-bike, this past weekend I went out to a bike festival with Tom and we got to demo some bikes. The stand outs were the Specialized Turbo Levo Comp and the Giant Trance X. The e-bike was wild to ride that fast on the trails and the Giant had the AXS shifting and the Rock Shocks Flight attendant which was cool but made so many annoying sounds when riding. I don't think I am ready for all that technology on a bike though. 

GameboyRMH
3/20/23 1:45 p.m.

Another question, anyone have any experience with 9t sprockets on the rear of a MTB? You usually don't see anything smaller than 11t on a cassette for what appears to be good mechanical reasons...any issues to look out for?

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/20/23 2:42 p.m.

Singlespeed with BMX freehub? 

Typically the reason 9t is not preferred on MTBs is because of chain and cog wear, although Shimano does do 10t on their new Micro Spline cassettes. 

I don't think anyone makes a 9t sprocket on a multi-gear cassette, unless it's something silly like Rotor's 13spd cassette or something. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/20/23 3:07 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

Ethirteen does a 9t highest gear cassette. https://www.ethirteen.com/collections/all-cassettes/products/helix-r-12-speed-cassette

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZsdlZkxLknWjx8WjpFSc69OYhGqfXdwqBy4Yi08YRBs0Gzm9pxwuVxwUiiceRC9P