1 2 3
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/20/22 2:16 p.m.

I, and several friends of mine, love this stuffing.

Rosemary Foccacia stuffing with Pancetta

What shows up at your table?

Edit: Guys, post recipes, FFS.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/20/22 2:26 p.m.

When I make pumpkin pie, I use roasted butternut squash. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/22 2:27 p.m.

Every other year Lil Stampie is with his mom and I enjoy having the long weekend to myself. I've made it a tradition to make a version of my grand mother's dressing and eating it all weekend. I'll start with the corn bread Wednesday night and getting the dressing going Thursday morning.   It's basically a test to see how much chicken stock you can get the dressing to soak up while leaving a crispy crust. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
11/20/22 2:27 p.m.

We live 20 minutes from my parents and 20 minutes from her parents.
My mom tends to overdo things. Too many dishes, too much of everything, too much work because everything is real and not from cans. 15ish years ago she showed me how to make her version of mashed potatoes. That's what I've done ever since. 10lbs minimum. leftovers for a week. 
My in-laws do things differently. Too many dishes, too much food, too many people, but EVERYTHING is from a can/box/mix. But for 9 years now, I've been tasked with bringing a mondo batch of my moms mashed potatoes. 

So I do potatoes. Dozens of them. 
Minor confession. I really like boxed stuffing and gravy. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/22 2:59 p.m.

I suck at cooking so...... Scotch.

Scotch is surprisingly the answer to a lot of questions 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/20/22 3:05 p.m.

An empty belly.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/20/22 3:09 p.m.

I grew up on the old Irish stuffing; sauteed onions, celery, bread and a ton of poultry seasoning.  Wifey grew up near the Canadian border where they make burger and breakfast sausage fried with mashed potatoes.  Over the years we've combined the two into a bread dressing with sausage and burger, pretty good too.

Not horribly special, but tasty, especially on turkey & cranberry sammiches!

wae
wae PowerDork
11/20/22 3:34 p.m.

I hit up the local poultry farm and get a fresh bird the Tuesday before.  On Wednesday morning I go to the store and get the stuff I need and by the afternoon, it's in the downstairs fridge in its brine.  Sometimes I roast it at home and bring it to my mom's, sometimes I take it over raw and roast it there, but it's the best damned torkey you'll eat.  Which for this year's price increase to $4.50/lb (!!!), it damned well better be.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/20/22 4:08 p.m.

Any casserole recipe that uses a can of Campbell's "Cream of...." soup.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/20/22 4:15 p.m.

None of us really likes turkey, so it's not turkey. This year we made  porchetta, and I smoked half a salmon. We make roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic, bacon and cayenne pepper. There's never any left.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/20/22 4:31 p.m.

For the first time in probably 15 years, I'm not cooking. With swmbos daughter finally out of the house, neither of us feels like doing a giant meal. Both of our families are in MN - we are not because snow sucks. So- we're going to Disney and eating Chinese food. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/20/22 4:55 p.m.

Ham, because I don't like turkey. Got this year's in brine on September 29. I'm also doing half a turkey, buns, banana bread, and pumpkin pie from the pumpkins I grew last year. 

Cooking starts Tuesday to be ready for Thursday. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/20/22 5:06 p.m.

I make a cornbread stuffing with sausage that is always requested. And a corn casserole that usually does pretty well.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/22 10:13 p.m.

The wife's side doesn't really care for turkey so I'm smoking a brisket for Thanksgiving with the in-laws this year.  Just cementing my position of favorite son-in-law.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
11/20/22 10:43 p.m.

Pumpkin Bars from scratch (pumpkin not in a can) and scratch cream cheese frosting.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/22 2:01 a.m.

My grandmother, Vera, grew up in Paonia, Colorado, where she was born in 1899.  This dish is hers - string beans with bacon and sauteed onions.

My understanding is her family came Missouri (?) before Colorado, which may explain where this came from. 

Cut bacon slices into 1/2" wide strips (how much? Its bacon - more is better) and fry in a large skillet until crisp.  Add diced white onion and sautee until transparent.  (Maybe remove some of the bacon grease now... or don't - it's better if you don't).  Add string beans and a cup of water, cover, and cook on very low heat until the beans are soft, something like an hour and a half.  Salt and pepper to taste.

It wouldn't be the holidays without them.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
11/21/22 9:45 a.m.

My contribution is usually a cheesy root vegetable gratin with sweet potatoes, parsnips and carrots - a variation on this recipe.

But I've also developed a tradition of not carving my Halloween pumpkin and instead saving it until just before Thanksgiving to turn it into homemade pumpkin puree and incorporating that into as many dishes as I can. This year I got 7 liters of puree out of my pumpkin and so far I've made 2 large pumpkin pies with it. The several metric tons of puree left over will probably become pumpkin bread, pumpkin snickerdoodles, pumpkin pasta and pumpkin butter.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
11/21/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

Pumpkin snickerdoodles? Do tell. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
11/21/22 10:56 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

A recipe I found on Pinterest one year while desperately searching for ways to use up pumpkin puree. A warning: they are light cakey cookies, so it is very easy to accidentally eat a dozen of them in one sitting.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/22 12:13 p.m.

This year it's just going to be my wife, kids and I in a cabin in Tahoe. Since it isn't our kitchen we're trying to  keep things simple. We're making turkey breast instead of roasting or smoking a whole turkey. 

I make an adult version of Mac and Cheese. Bacon, onion, garlic, cheese and penne pasta. It started out as a request for something different from my MIL. I took it as a personal mission and it never goes to waste. 

My wife makes an excellent corn soufflé. 

I make mean mashed potatoes. Gotta have mashed potatoes and gravy. 

We used to make Mrs. Cubbison's stuffing  every year. Our kids don't like stuffing so we probably won't make it this year. I saw a really good looking stuffing recipe on Bon Appetit's YouTube channel the other day. I'll be trying that out in a couple weeks. 

My daughter's work gave her a whole turkey last week. I'll smoke that one in a couple weeks. We'll have Thanksgiving part 2. 

By the end of December I will be done with turkey for a while. ;^)

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/21/22 12:15 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

An empty belly.

crying

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/22 12:23 p.m.

My grandmother's faus recipe:

It's like meatloaf, potatoes, and stuffing in one dish and it's amazing. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/22 12:48 p.m.

I frequently spend the Friday after T-Day making 50-100 pounds of liver pudding for the entire family. I think I'm out again so I may need to make another batch. 

15 pounds of pig liver, 15 pounds of Boston butt, 15 pounds of pig skin. Cook that down in a pressure cooker and then run it through a grinder. With the water used to cook the meat, cook 15-20 pounds of rice. Stir all of that together with seasonings and press into pans. Cool, cut into blocks, and shrink seal. To eat, slice thin and fry. 

20201127_091244.jpg

20201127_091240.jpg

20201127_111855.jpg

20201127_112755.jpg

20201129_101204.jpg

20201128_083435.jpg

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/21/22 2:08 p.m.

When I was a starving student my X and I would bring a Honey Faked ham to the family dinner...it's liget, fight me.

Today, I'm all about turning the left over turkey into stew (no funk, just good pieces of white and dark meat, victory garden vegetables, chicken broth, & long grain brown rice).  

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/21/22 2:38 p.m.

This wasn't something made, but in adulthood I found out that it was a tad unusual for Thanksgiving. As a kid we would have pickled beets and pickled red cabbage as sides. This might be a product of having a German grandmother.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XN68GdKpBQWjTKAg8SDAq3n48rLD55aCC38Kbn5P0Y1hFnR1vWqiVX2VebDZsdrw