1 2 3 4
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/7/10 1:08 p.m.

Haven't read all the thread, but to those who asked do expensive glasses last longer?

I've had my $350 Oakley's for nearly 10 years. $6 for new rubber pieces, $40ish for lenses and they'd be ready to go another 10. But I think I'd like a different style.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/7/10 1:45 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Haven't read all the thread, but to those who asked do expensive glasses last longer? I've had my $350 Oakley's for nearly 10 years. $6 for new rubber pieces, $40ish for lenses and they'd be ready to go another 10. But I think I'd like a different style.

Don't know who asked that, but I completely agree. I have put my $100 oakleys up to three years of hard use, and other than paint wearing off the frame and the lenses getting slightly scuffed, they are great. Dropped, squeezed, sat on... Doesn't matter. Obviously this is with plastic frames, I know I'll have to be careful when I move on to something else.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
7/7/10 1:57 p.m.

I have a pair of Vuarnets that not only survived 10 years of horseback jumping (and falling off) but were left behind the sunvisor of a car I sent to the scrapyard. I went back the next day, the car was already crushed and stacked, but they got the glasses out for me – intact.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
7/7/10 2:15 p.m.

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/search/search.asp?r=MainHeader+KW+Box&a=browse&k=sunglasses

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/7/10 2:42 p.m.

$5 mirrored aviators from the corner drug store - seriously! I wear mine with my old school pumas - did I ever mention how much I love beastie boys?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/7/10 2:55 p.m.

Julbo glacier glasses lasted me a long time and I will buy another pair

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/7/10 4:10 p.m.

I've smashed the hell out of my spys on multiple occasions, and used them as safety goggles (sometimes the need to use a sawzall outweighs the need to find proper eye protection) and other than a few scuffs and needing to tighten the hinges about once every two years, I've never had an issue.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
7/7/10 4:13 p.m.
Jay wrote: Does getting the expensive brands really make any difference in longevity? I'm pretty harsh on my sunglasses; I always have them with me and when I'm not wearing them they hang off my pants pocket by one arm, which means they get bumped into things fairly often and sometimes dropped. I go through a pair every 8~10 months or so.

i only wear cheap $15-$25 sunglasses, and this is why (plus i can't buy that 10x more expensive glasses will be 10x better...maybe i'm wrong, though).

mine tend to last a while; i've had some for well more than a year before i lost them (the normal reason for replacement) and they were in fine shape. the low price also allows me to have 3 or 4 pairs at a time. a buddy of mine a few weeks ago wore his nice ray-bans into the ocean and lost them, and had to wear the cheap pair he left sitting at the house for just that reason.

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
7/7/10 6:12 p.m.
Jay wrote: Does getting the expensive brands really make any difference in longevity? I'm pretty harsh on my sunglasses; I always have them with me and when I'm not wearing them they hang off my pants pocket by one arm, which means they get bumped into things fairly often and sometimes dropped. I go through a pair every 8~10 months or so.

If you are crushing your sunglasses, better quality glasses most likely won't help you.

If you are wearing out sunglasses (having the hinges go loose, bars bend, lenses popping out, frames not keeping their shape, lenses scratch easy, or other similar issues), then higher quality glasses will help.

High prices do not necessarily equal high quality. After wearing a raft of expensive and elcheapo glasses for 30 years, I've settled on Ray Ban glasses in general. Bet even in their range, there's a bunch of overpriced junk. I usually wear Wayfarers. But there are about 20 different shapes and models of Wayfarers. Some are cheapy fashion glasses. Some are well made. And the price for each of them is far too close.

924guy
924guy Dork
7/7/10 8:18 p.m.

vaurnet's are the only sunglasses I'll wear, ive had one set (actually the same set twice after i killed the first frame) since the mid 80's, when i discovered them on a ski trip. I finally broke a frame after umpteen years use about five years back, by snapping the bridge when they fell between the car seat rail and i adjusted the seat. I found a replacement set on ebay, and still wear them everyday. cant beat the optics of skilynx lenses. high light levels gives me headaches, the vaurnets prevent my headaches.

they may have gone in and out of style a few times already, i dont care... they work great for me...same as these: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/VUARNET-CATEYE-Sunglasses-Skilynx-4002-Black-Cheaper-/390060017441

Smack35
Smack35 Reader
7/7/10 8:48 p.m.

Knockarounds Knockarounds are supposedly pretty good, extrememely cheap, and they dont scratch up. I've had a pair of Quicksilver for like 3 years, and scratched them to death, along with like 3 other pairs (working outside, working on cars, going to races, ect kills them) I think I might try the Knockarounds next, but I would like some expensive ones, but I know they'll be beat up or lost

Steven

Enyar
Enyar SuperDork
9/25/10 6:27 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I have been wearing a pair of Hobie polarized for over a year now and love them. Light frame, great view and (relatively) inexpensive, especially compared to Maui Jims, etc. http://www.hobiepolarized.com/eyewear.aspx

Same here...I like the Hobies although I think the next pair I get will have glass lenses.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
9/26/10 11:20 a.m.

mmm442013 up there is a slightly cleverer-than-usual canoe. Please don't click the link.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/26/10 1:40 p.m.
Jay wrote: mmm442013 up there is a slightly cleverer-than-usual canoe. Please don't click the link.

I agree... Only two posts though both in a long dead thread on a subject thats way off topic... But they both made sense!

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/26/10 3:51 p.m.

Yeah, I paused before thinking, yeah - canoe. Because Revos are excellent... but really expensive.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
9/26/10 8:22 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/rb8301/002 I bought a pair of those, they arent alot cheaper than maui jims, but IMO they are good enough to be worth it. I got silver ones, but they come in brown too.

You smell that, Rabbit?

Fear.

MikeSVO
MikeSVO Reader
9/26/10 9:28 p.m.

I have two pairs of Ray Bans. One set I got trying to mimic what Clint Eastwood had in some movie I saw... I just did a search, and I guess they're called Baloramas. Mine are very similar, but getting old, so now that I know what to look for...

The other set of Ray Bans is sort of a modified Aviator, I guess. They're more flat on the bottom, which I like. I could never find a set of the classic model that looked good on me.

Chrissy
Chrissy New Reader
12/27/10 7:40 p.m.

I love my Smith's. I have been looking over the few other companies that people have brought up but I can't get over the fact that you can't change the lenses. That's what saves me! Smith's have the replacement lenses and also different colors that are good for different types of weather- reds or orange for cloudy, brown or reflective blue for really bright and they come in polarized for more expensive ones when needed. I've replaced the lenses once a year because I"m terrible at putting them in a case. I"m not a sunglasses pro but its nice to not have to buy new ones if you get scratches.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/27/10 8:15 p.m.

Gatorz I have had a pair for the last 10 years and they just gave up the ghost. As soon as I can I am going to order another pair and hopefully will get the same amount of time out of them.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/10 8:47 p.m.

It really doesn't matter what kind you get as long as they have polarized lenses. I won't wear anything else. If you can find polycarbonite polarized lenses, even better.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
6/13/11 7:53 a.m.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
6/13/11 8:10 a.m.

I am wearing Tag Heuer Zeniths. I absolutely love them.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/11 9:46 a.m.

wow.. that is impressive. Maybe our local online hole in the water sellers can serve a good cause by bringing dead threads back to life?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/11 2:52 p.m.

are zombie threads one of the signs of the coming Zombie Apocolypse?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/13/11 4:30 a.m.

I spend way too much time here; i.e. I recognized this as a zombie thread by the title

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vXOAVeJ6rgVOwguR6p59R7DhzG4kbBzlMaPo4p1vUfyP2L5WlLsgcWOa4KWGH6iA