1 2
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/31/19 4:14 p.m.

For over a decade now I've had my taxes prepared by a tax accountant to the tune of $300 a pop. This year the Dancer and I have decided that we want to try doing them ourselves since at least at the moment we don't have a lot out of the ordinary (next year may be more interesting since we should- or rather had better- have income from a rental property) to worry about and we're trying to trim unnecessary costs down as we head into the last stretch (we hope) of building the cabin. We're planning on doing them ourselves and if things are really confusing or it looks like we owe more than we think (last year the accountant said with the tax changes we should end up owing less- and possibly be getting a modest refund) we'll have a friend who works for a tax prep company check our work.

Back before I moved out here and started having a pro do them (things were rather confusing with the reimbursement from my move here) I had been using Tax Cut to do my own taxes, but as I said it's been over a decade since I've touched any of the DIY software.

So, what does everyone else use and recommend that we try? Obviously free/low-cost ones would be nice. Thanks!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
1/31/19 5:36 p.m.

Been using turbo tax for 11 years 

have 6 rental properties , side business etc . Easy cost effective and I like doing it in my own 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/31/19 5:46 p.m.

TurboTax for a couple decades, at least.  Maybe 3. Not free, just pay for the version you need. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/31/19 5:55 p.m.

I also use TurboTax and have for about 15 years.  It works pretty well, and you can get a variety of cost options.  I'm usally in for $70 and a couple hours of my time to get it done.  I think I used the H&RB 100% free version to do DD#2's taxes.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/19 6:12 p.m.

Since I no longer have income earned in 34 states, I now use credit karma, prior to that I used turbo tax and the state government website once my federal was filed. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/19 6:12 p.m.

Based on the changes that went into effect for 2018, I'm planning to do mine with a calculator this year. Forms & instructions downloaded for free online...

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
1/31/19 6:17 p.m.

With the Simplified 1040, and less reason to itemize (thanks to the increased standard deduction) why pay $70+ for software that's really just going to do basic math for you? Just follow the instructions on the 1040, and DIY it. You can get the forms for free from local government buildings like public libraries. Then you mail it in. All it costs is a stamp.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
1/31/19 8:13 p.m.

Sadly for many of us in the SALT states, itemized is still the way to go. My itemized deductions are down almost 40% from last year, due to the new tax laws, but still much higher than a standard deduction would alllow. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/31/19 8:30 p.m.

I've used TurboTax since the mid-90's.  Buy it at Costco. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/19 8:39 p.m.

I have used taxslayer for the past 2 years and it seems fine. Similar to turbotax but a bit cheaper. I am single with no dependents and very simple filing so it might be different for others. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/19 6:08 a.m.

We use h&r's website and have been happy with them.  I'm not sure this year since we likely won't itemize. 

As a personal note, I refuse to support Intuit because of their lobbying to keep tax filing complicated.  Unfortunately, that link shows h&r in on it as well, now too, so even if I use someone to file through, it won't be them again.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
2/1/19 6:46 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

It’s not about filling out the forms. The tax code may seem straight forward but it’s really about how the IRS reads the code and what they allow Verses what you think they allow.  

There are still 77,000+ pages in the code.  

Sure you can use software, or even have someone fill out the forms for you.  But how many things will you miss or worse get wrong compared to those who worked for the IRS before starting their own tax service?  

I’m a cheapskate. Paying that $300 goes against my DIY nature.  Periodically I use turbo tax and someone like H&R Block to do my taxes and so far  a former IRS employee has always been worth more than I pay.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/1/19 9:17 a.m.

I used to use TaxAct. 

I've had an accountant doing them the last 7-8 years. With my ex-wife, we had refinanced the house into both of our names, and she was self-employed, so it was easier to just pay the accountant to figure everything out. IE, I didn't want my refund being used to pay her business taxes. 

Not I just send her my info, $150, and don't mess with it. 

Now that it's simple again, I may go back to filing my own next year.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/1/19 9:36 a.m.

I have been using H&R Block software myself - haven't tried any others, so I don't have a good point of comparison. I find it pretty easy to use, and I like that the price includes support if I get hit with an audit. Unfortunately some things that complicate my tax situation (freelance writing, in particular) mean I have to buy a couple extra features.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
2/1/19 9:54 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Second Tax Slayer. It pulls forward the pertinent t info, walks me through things, and is affordable. Did my taxes this morning in about an hour.

Rodulrich
Rodulrich New Reader
2/1/19 5:23 p.m.

H&R Block Premium through Capital One.  It's free for both Fed and State if you are a card holder (I have a Cap One credit card), but they may use your info for marketing purposes.  Before that I used TurboTax.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12566590-h-r-block-premium-free-for-capital-one-card-holders-ymmv

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/1/19 6:19 p.m.

For many moons I used Turbo Tax (mid 2000s) but then they went to a super complex yes/no format that was super confusing.  "Did you have qualifying vehicle use for work under article XXX?"  I click "yes."  It takes me through 20 questions and then says, "you don't qualify."  I haven't used TT for several years, but I wasn't happy with it back then.

Then I did H&R Block online and enjoyed the experience.  It's one of those that is free.... if you basically only need a 1040.  Throw in a 1099-int or a savings bond and now that you have spent two hours inputting your stuff, it will suddenly cost $69 to add that form.  Still, not bad and it was easy.

Now I do Credit Karma for Fed.  Super simple, so far super accurate.  Both years that I did PA taxes with Credit Karma, it didn't do the state stuff right.  Both years I got a letter saying I underpaid.  I checked their math and CK's math, and sure enough, CK was wrong.  Now I just do state on the PA tax website.  And, free means free, no matter what forms you use.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/2/19 9:54 p.m.

Another TurboTax thumbs up here. Been using it for years. SWMBO thought it was cheating us out of some returns once and paid H&R to do our taxes. I did them again using TT and it came out the same. She hasn't questioned it since.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
2/3/19 11:38 a.m.

I normally fill out a paper return and mail it in, but this year I am trying https://www.freetaxusa.com for the following reasons:

1.) I refuse to support turbotax (owned by intuit) who lobbied extensively to keep taxes complicated for their own financial benefit.  Also, their software has gone downhill.

2.) 2018 has had a number of forms change due to the tax "cut" passed earlier this year (in quotes because my total rate % increased and i am paying $3000 more), and i want someone/a computer doublechecking my work this year.

3.) The government (and IRS) is currently open, but after the recent shutdown, and another looming in 3 weeks if they can't get a deal done, i want my return filed and my refund on the way as quickly as possible before things shut down again.  E-filing helps with that.  

I will follow up when i finish all 3 returns, but they appear to be free to file federally (with no income limit), and only $12.95 for state returns (one time fee, even if multiple state filings i believe...this is what i need to finish up).   

UPDATE:  Worked great, e-filed everything this afternoon.  They do charge individually for state returns, so my total was ~$23 after a 10% off coupon code.  Would use again.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/4/19 7:57 a.m.

Thanks for the good suggestions everyone! I took a look at the new 1040, and at first glance it seems like I could probably do it without any help/software, but since the state is always more confusing I'll probably take a look at either Taxslayer or one of the other simpler online ones. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/4/19 9:29 a.m.

I'd probably recommend at least an e-file this year. The IRS being shut down has really impacted the training on the new tax code for much of the IRS's staff and the organization as a whole is struggling to catch up. If you file by paper there's a strong likelihood of pretty significant delay in its processing.

I personally use Turbotax because of some issues I have with intuit as a company and they handle the state pretty well. Too bad they don't do the EIT here in PA.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/4/19 9:31 a.m.
The0retical said:

I personally use Turbotax because of some issues I have with intuit as a company.

Huh? Turbotax is intuit

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/4/19 9:32 a.m.

I'll be using taxact, for the 5th year in a row. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
2/4/19 9:44 a.m.

For Canada, I've been using StudioTax for the past five years.  It's free.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/4/19 9:53 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Crap got them confused with H&R Block's software. Again. I go through this every year trying to remember which one I don't like, there's a post it note on the tax file at home to ensure I use the correct one this time. I'm going to blame Monday, coffee, and toddlers sleeping habits for that.

My fault (not like I've ever been sheepishly wrong on the internet before.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PLPepYikmVi0H1YUdqYvk4Gw2nd0UHEwzdolnB4GughXsW1YAfMaD3dOjPhcKn7j