1 2 3 4
Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/30/22 10:28 a.m.

I was wondering what kinds of art people in the forum have hanging on their walls. I'll share a handful of art from around my house to get it started.

BORG, from a vintage store in Austin.

I like a lot of textile art. Above is from Goodwill.

More fiber art above. Sorry for the dust.

Above: another Goodwill find.

Above: "Return" poster by Nikki McClure. More of her art here. She makes her art using an Xacto knife.

And one more by GRM/CMS's own Katie Wilson: a self-portrait in the style of another artist.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/30/22 11:18 a.m.

At a glance from where I am sitting.

If I move into my art-room ( stuff that wife and daughter have banished from the rest of the house after they said the place looked like an art museum)

My favorite piece. The piece was done by someone I knew as a professor of abnormal psychology. I used to attend his lectures not because I was enrolled in his classes, but just because he was a captivating teacher and lecturer. I stumbled on this from his estate sale 10 years after I left university and had to have it. It seems relevant again in light of the Ukraine  war.

Titled "The Bosnian Marathon" 

On a lighter note, this one should speak to anyone who has purchased beer in Ontario from the Brewers monopoly known as the "Brewer's Retail".

And I have always had a soft spot for Molas. Indigenous art/craft of the Guna people (islands near Panama) they are often whimsical and reflective of the culture of the people to whom they are being sold. I find it ironic that such a primitive art resembles the principles of photolithography that we use to make ICs today. Each color is a layer that is stitched on to the next layer to make the finished image. The amount of hand stitching is unreal.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
11/30/22 11:26 a.m.

In keeping with the GRM forum audience......

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/30/22 11:30 a.m.

Wow.  I think I have a case of "wall envy."  This house has a very open floor plan, and the exterior walls are almost entirely made up of windows.  So few places to hang art. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/22 11:32 a.m.

Would you expect Anything less?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/22 11:32 a.m.

A version of Edvard Munch's The Scream, but with Hank Hill. I got it as a Secret Santa gift two or three years ago, it's amazing.

I also have a very nice pencil sketch of the B-29 Enola Gay that came with the house when I bought it. No photos of it.

And I also bought a limited-edition Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society 50th anniversary commemorative poster that I'm waiting for to arrive so I can frame and hang it.

Sarah Young
11/30/22 11:35 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Oh wow, I am so excited to see molas! My dad lived in Panama and bought one, so I had a mola of a bird on my wall all while growing up. And lol, I've never seen the style applied to Looney Toons.

Sarah Young
11/30/22 11:36 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Edvard Munch's The Scream, but with Hank Hill

I am dying! Amazing. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/30/22 11:42 a.m.
Sarah Young said:

In reply to NickD :

I am dying! Amazing. 

Did Hank Hill find out that someone BBQ-ed with charcoal?!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/30/22 11:43 a.m.
Sarah Young said:

In reply to NickD :

I am dying! Amazing. 

Oh my god that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/22 11:43 a.m.
J.A. Ackley said:
Sarah Young said:

In reply to NickD :

I am dying! Amazing. 

A little hard to see, but on the left, there is a bag of charcoal and a charcoal grille.

Tom Suddard
11/30/22 11:45 a.m.

Here's some from our house:

Painting by teenage Tim Suddard:

Painting by me:

Painting by Nicole:

Hallway full of Isuzu Trooper II ads that I hung in college and somehow haven't been asked to remove:

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/30/22 11:50 a.m.
NickD said:
J.A. Ackley said:
Sarah Young said:

In reply to NickD :

I am dying! Amazing. 

A little hard to see, but on the left, there is a bag of charcoal and a charcoal grille.

Nice! I see it now.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/30/22 11:52 a.m.

In my office I have some movie posters and automotive related stuff. 

A short film I worked on 

And one of my own photos printed on canvas 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
11/30/22 11:52 a.m.

In my office I have these vintage prints.

Art from home will have to wait till I get home.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
11/30/22 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

We've also got some of your photography and artwork made by friends in the bedrooms!

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
11/30/22 11:57 a.m.

Since I'm at the office right now, I'll present this collage of sorts that lives on my bulletin board. During the lockdown, my best friends and I got into the habit of sending each other postcards. Some purchased, some handmade, and some cut from whatever paper happened to be around. When I returned to my office, I hung them all up on my wall, along with some others I'd collected just for myself.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
11/30/22 12:03 p.m.

Besides the random professional kart photos of my kid I've bought over the years at all the big karting events, I have a random smattering of stuff.

My "Chart of Cosmic Exploration" poster

A Millennium Falcon poster I got from a local artist (I can't recall the name)

This random oil painting I picked up about 20 years ago at a flea market.  Just something about it appeals to me.

-Rob

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/30/22 12:06 p.m.

My favorite piece of artwork is the one I have hanging over my work desk, my daughter's first painting:

Sarah Young
11/30/22 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Painting by teenage Tim Suddard:

surprise That's good! Was Tim really into painting at some point?  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/22 12:14 p.m.

The trains. I forgot about the trains. Lionel can be art, right?

I figure, if I can't run them at the moment,  show them off instead of stuffing them in a box in the basement.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/30/22 12:23 p.m.

My work view today

Tom Suddard
11/30/22 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Sarah Young :

Oh yeah, there are a few dozen of his old canvasses up in the attic. He was pretty prolific back before he spent every waking moment playing with cars/magazines.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/30/22 12:48 p.m.

Our taste (like my cars) is a little  eclectic, not Addams Family eclectic; but think Steampunk Queen Victoria meets Southwestern art.

We got this stained glass looking pane on our honeymoon 44 years ago.  It's actually colored acrylic paints between two panes of glass.

Hard because of the glare, a brown sepa photo of a Chinese fisherman using Cormorants instead of rod & reel.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/30/22 12:51 p.m.

Buy what makes you smile, don't follow Martha Stewart et al.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6ndyCapXSbW4tPRtYMGYBFtjuhaVpv48Jnk7VakF1yrw5KzXbIjleUxOz5hgY3EY