1 2 3
Type Q
Type Q Reader
9/17/08 7:48 p.m.
JohnGalt wrote: Have not really come of with a name for my RX-8 but i am open to suggestions.

Warbird!

I always though there was something sort of Klingon about the design

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
9/17/08 8:15 p.m.

Wife's Neon- The Donut, because the official color name is Cinnamon Glaze

Ranger (277K miles)- The Bean

Cosmosblau 86 E30- Petra

Bronzit 87 E30- Eva (Braun/Brown, get it?)

Schwarz 88 E30- Elvira

Diamantschwarz 90 325ix- Ingrid

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/17/08 8:33 p.m.

96 Impala I call "impala" 73 station wagon I call "wagon" 99 E300 Mercedes I call "benz" 65 scout that I call "scout"

See a pattern emerging?

The only car my wife and I have ever named was her 97 Tercel which was dubbed "green bean." It got totalled so I call it tofu... you know, bean curb?

4g63t
4g63t Reader
9/17/08 9:00 p.m.

My Galant VR-4 is known as the Jaded Grenade

Pat
Pat New Reader
9/17/08 9:07 p.m.

As named by my then 3 year old....The Broken Car.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
9/17/08 9:10 p.m.

NYG Neon Sports Coupe ~ Mikey (after Mike Kazowski) NYG Neon Sports Sedan (built in Mexico) ~ Miguel 1975 Duster ~ Goldye (after my Grandmother, who bought her new after getting her first driver's licence at the age of 62)

capri73
capri73 New Reader
9/17/08 9:33 p.m.

My lack of creativity shows, I guess. The Capri is "Blue" and the Honda van is Odie

JohnSSC
JohnSSC New Reader
9/17/08 9:54 p.m.

The smart is Ute.

The Celica is Heinz-Harald.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
9/17/08 10:09 p.m.

The Bavarian Bandit (I only call it that to make my mother cringe.)

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
9/17/08 10:13 p.m.

My Bullitt is Victoria, my Miata's name was Amy . . .

Sonic
Sonic New Reader
9/17/08 10:52 p.m.
mtn wrote: This is just the happiest car in the world. I shall call him Oliver Quick, whats it from?

Top Gear africa special, 1962 Opel Kadett

I don't really do names for my cars

The Land Rover is "The Disco", the BMW is the E30 or the BMW, the MG is the MG, etc. No imagination.

mtn
mtn Dork
9/17/08 11:05 p.m.
Sonic wrote:
mtn wrote: This is just the happiest car in the world. I shall call him Oliver Quick, whats it from?
Top Gear africa special, 1962 Opel Kadett I don't really do names for my cars The Land Rover is "The Disco", the BMW is the E30 or the BMW, the MG is the MG, etc. No imagination.

We have a winner

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
9/17/08 11:34 p.m.

Let's see... A buddy of mine named my 2000 Dodge Stratus "Lucas", because it is constantly developing new and exciting electrical glitches, which it has done since it was new.

The red '90 Miata is known as "Britney" because it quickly became more of a train-wreck than I originally anticipated.

I haven't really thought about a name for the Mariner Blue '92 yet. Most people just call it "The Skittle", but one guy at work calls it "Osama Smurf"... I have no idea why.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
9/18/08 8:31 a.m.

My first Firebird was the "Black Beauty." This was a sarcastic term used by my mother because when I bought it, it was 10 different shades of black, had hideous wheels, and smelled like a week old fart inside.

My first Trans Am was "The Red Dragon." The day I got the car I went and saw Old School the night it opened. FRANK THE TANK!!! It was a red T/A and it fit perfectly.

The current Trans Am I have now is the "Midnight Slut." It's midnight blue metallic, it likes to take on water during rain storms, let rocks into it's undercarriage, suck up plastic bags, and so on.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
9/18/08 8:33 a.m.
TJ wrote: My classic Mini is called the turd. It not only gives me an excuse not to wash it, but certainly no need to polish it!

So that's what those brown stains are on the cones.........eeeewwwwwwww

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/08 4:47 p.m.

Still waiting for a call back on Bugugly. Man I hope I get it!

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/18/08 9:04 p.m.

I almost got my the plates on 73 beetle to say that.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
9/18/08 11:14 p.m.

'72 M-B 250 sedan, pale blue, wife learded to drive in it; Basil

'78 Datsun 620 king cab, yellow and black, home made long tube header, super turbo muffler, webber carb; RUMBLE BUMBLE darn I miss this one, could have been a great sub 1K challenge car, especialy if there were a drifting portion of the challenge

'89 SAAB 9000 turbo, grey; stealth fighter

'89 SAAB 900 turbo sedan, pale green, wifes car, was wrecked in a hit & run at 250K miles & was still running strong right to the last mile; Ikea

'94 SAAB 9000 cse n/a, black on black, replaced Ikea; sheba

'92 Ford explorer 2 dr, white with reflective stripes, former city of Philadelphia fleet vehicle, hated it so much that I gave it away for a tank of gas in the wifes car, the kid that I gave it to is still driving it two years later,and may enter the babe rally with it; EXPLODER

'70 Ford mustang coupe, wimbeldon white, black deluxe interior, 302/c4 drive train, it was a very pretty car but I don't miss it at all, even though it was my first completed restoration and it came out alot better than I expected; Rusty (even though it wasn't)

'70 1/2 Ford falcon ,project never got far enough along to get a name, I miss it though, it is the one that got away

'88 SAAB 900 turbo, current project car, black, hoped to have it done in time for the 2008 challenge but it didn't even come close, it used to belong to a Naval officer, and I think that he took it out on manuvers with the fleet, rust in places these cars don't normaly rust and every electical part has corosion issiues; no name yet, but if "black bastard" translated into Sweedish has the right sound I think that would stick!

CoryB
CoryB Reader
9/19/08 7:27 a.m.

We always name our cars. Some of them tell us their names right away, some take a while and some are just made up.

2008 RAV4 - RAVioli 2007 Miata - Hasn't really gotten a name yet. 2005 MINI - Xenophon - my wife had a patient with that name once and she liked the name. 2000 Jeep - Yellow Fellow - because it's yellow 1993 Miata - Ted aka RedTed 1990 CRX - Beastie Boy

Past vehicles have included: 1950 Chevy pickup - Clem 1969 Beetle - Bert 1977 Rabbit - Giselle 1972 Audi 100LS - That Green POS (hers, not mine) 1972 Pontiac LeMans - That Other Green POS

and a whole host of others that escape me now.

Sofa King
Sofa King New Reader
9/19/08 9:30 a.m.

I don't name my cars but over the years I have had only 2 that were called by names other than the one the manufacturer assigned.

The first was my daughters magenta colored Dodge Neon. It was called "Barbie" because it looked like the color was chosen by Matel.

The second is my 92 Miata which the previous owned called "Otter" and since at the time I bought it I had another Miata we kept the "Otter" name so that we would know which Miata we were talking about. Why Otter?... It's a ME-Otter!

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/19/08 10:02 a.m.

Oliver!!

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
9/19/08 10:25 a.m.

Well, usually I just call it "slow high-MPG econobox piece of crap" but then quickly apologize because I know the second I start pissing it off it'll leave me on the side of the road.

A friend from high school called my '97 coupe "Pretty Pretty Fred." No idea where that came from.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/19/08 11:01 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: A friend from high school called my '97 coupe "Pretty Pretty Fred." No idea where that came from.

We should keep a leaderboard of the gayest car names. So far we have:

1. Crystal Princess
  2. Pretty Pretty Fred
Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/19/08 11:09 a.m.

Ahoy mateys! Me dad had an F-150 with a 100gallon fuel tank and pump in the aft deck (used it to fuel old airplanes, since MoGas was about $1.50 cheaper than AvGas). A friend of his dubbed it: "The Bomb". Argh!

When trying ta name me Crapsler Cirrus, me friends asked if it be a buccaneer or a wench car... but it lacked enough personality ta make such a decision. So they decided it be a tranny and named it "Frank" in honor of "Dr. Frankenfurter".

Shiver me timbers!

walterj
walterj HalfDork
9/19/08 11:14 a.m.

I have The Truck, The Racecar, The Red Car and The POS VW.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OIwTFQe4xIxbGhLcRGO5xZ1jPbeUT99IJWWpTLkndsfvuvuHEFE8ldyCHg1NcG7g