1 2 3
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/1/18 8:54 a.m.

I rarely stay in hotels but when I do it depends if I'm alone or with family.  I've lived in my ambulance for months on end so I can tolerate about anything.  Needs to be nicer with kids/SO.

But an amusing aside: in the early 80's my mother met old man Marriot who took a shine to her.  Had he not been a complete perv and creeper things might have gone differently and I'd have hotels of my own.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/1/18 10:06 a.m.

Coming back from Sturgis by myself on my bike, I made it to Omaha and I was wooped. Stopped at a large motel complex, "American" something or other.  Parked the bike, went to the office.  Clerk is behind bullet proof glass.  There's a sign pasted on the glass warning that there are motorcycle thieves working the area.  I left and continued heading south.  Stayed the night at a motel right next door to MidAmerica race track.  Small, clean, reasonable.  I don't stay at Motel 6's after having my Truck tool box stolen at one. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/18 10:23 a.m.

I was spoiled in my younger days when the people I worked for owned 3 Hampton inns. $35/night employee rate almost anywhere in the country made cheap hotels quite nice. 

Now though, if I'm by myself, as long as there's no hourly rate posted at check in I don't care. It's a room with a toilet and a bed, and if the bed is bad enough I'll just sleep in the car. Super 8 seems to always be where I need to be, while I've been in some not so great ones, I haven't been in any that were terrible. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/1/18 12:01 p.m.

Yeah, I think Super 8 is about our minimum acceptable standard today.  Most have been fine. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/1/18 1:24 p.m.

The first thing  l look for is the "Swimming pool" sign.  If there is one, I keep moving. Noisy little bastards...

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/1/18 2:24 p.m.

Depends on my intentions.  Is it just a roof over my head the night before a track day?  If it doesn't stink and the bed looks clean, I'm done.  If I'm staying more than just overnight I do have higher standards.

whenry
whenry Reader
4/2/18 7:42 a.m.

The worst ever was in Daytona for the first Rolex 24 I ever attended.  Friend of mine scored two complimentary tickets back when Sun Trust was sponsoring the GT prototype cars.  We had a week to make arrangements and decided on the Comfort Inn at the Speedway Exit.  A true meth motel plus the working girls and truckers.  We made it for two nights but slept on top of the comforter and had the pistol under the pillow. Literally took turns sleeping.   Luckily we had decided to drive the Excursion rather than one of the "nice" cars.

Learned to stay out at the Beach but you still have to be careful in Daytona.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/2/18 11:00 a.m.

When my wife and I took road trips, motel stays were one night, so not too choosey.  If it looked good on the out side it was good on the inside. 

Worst was the Days Inn at Daytona Beach just off 95.   Had to get the room changed as our bathroom was full of bugs.

Other than that we have been lucky.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/7/18 2:09 p.m.

You'll be happy to know that we lived through our $38 stay at the Diplomat inn in Niagara falls. The bathroom fan didn't work, nor did the blow dryer,  there was no coffee and not too many channels on the TV, but for what we paid it was sufficient and we were happy. We wouldn't be so happy paying over $100 for the same room during high season though.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/7/18 3:07 p.m.

I once woke up in a hotel with a rat sitting on my chest.

THAT was below my standard!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/18 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

Glad it worked out.  We fled ours a couple days early for the quiet safety of Detroit,  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2WtuKN8811VWUE2aDl7H1pcKCP0FQDdmnIdrw8C36GnYrCp4JPVrNI89NOwlmzTG