1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/22 1:34 p.m.

The carburator on our 20-year-old Honda mower started leaking. It's something internal, but at $20, a brand-new carb costs less than even a float. 

So if ordering a new carb, I should combine shipping so I can also change the oil, get a new blade, replace the air filter, get new gaskets (just in case) and, since it's broken, replace the starter handle. Going with Honda parts and including shipping, that's $73.

I do like this mower, and it's served us well. But is now the moment to go electric? We already have an Ego chainsaw. Their mowers start at $399 but I'm thinking I'd want the increased battery capacity offered by the $599 model. 

So, hmm.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/2/22 1:38 p.m.

The new electric mowers are pretty impressive. If I had a smaller yard I would definitely consider one. My new place has a lot of grass, so I went diesel instead.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
5/2/22 1:49 p.m.

I'd do it now, but I really value the quiet simplicity and ease of electric tools. Try and sell the existing one for as much recoup as you can and avoid the major maintenance stuff. If replacing the carb for $20 means the mower can be sold for $150 instead of $50 then that's worthwhile but I'd hold off on the other stuff and just put that cash toward the EV mower of choice.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/2/22 1:57 p.m.

Push mower, do it now. I should have when I replaced mine last year and will when this one dies.

Riding mower....wait yet. cub cadet only has a 30"(for $1200 more than s gas powered 42-46"), though I do see other brands on the market. I just don't think the cost to value ratio is good for them yet. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/2/22 2:07 p.m.

My next mower will be EV and automated. I hate mowing, and they do a better job.

 

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic-lawn-mowers/

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/2/22 2:11 p.m.

I did when I wasn't looking forward to getting my old mower back up and going after sitting for so long.  Went with the Ryobi for us because I have a bunch of their tools already and have never had issues with them.  I'll admit, I seem to mow more often now since all I have to do is plug the battery in and go.  The backyard (which is typical small suburban yard) takes about half a charge.  I can do the back and front on one charge. 

-Rob

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/2/22 2:11 p.m.

The only things I dislike about my battery mower: I should have bought a bigger battery, or at least a 2nd, and I wish the bag was bigger. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/2/22 2:17 p.m.

Oddly enough, my mother just went through this debate. Her mower's self-propelled drive system locked up and neither she nor her neighbor could get it to free up.  So she bought an Ego mower, choosing that brand because she already has a trimmer using the same 56V battery.  

Of course, when I went to her house on Sat to help her unload the Ego from her car (big, 95 lb box) and set it up for her, she noticed when we were moving her old mower the front wheels were now free somehow.  I gave the starter cord a pull and it started right up.  Doh.  But closing in on 74, she's kinda done with gas yard tools, so I can imagine she'll keep the Ego.   

My gas mower keeps working, despite my utter lack of maintenance, so I'll continue to use it.  When it finally dies I'll get a battery mower.  My general theory is they will only getter better and cheaper as time goes on.  Ok... maybe not so much on the latter... 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/22 2:23 p.m.
tuna55 said:

My next mower will be EV and automated. I hate mowing, and they do a better job.

 

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic-lawn-mowers/

Those things are terrible, no lift on the blades just a spinning little razor blade.  The grass learns to grow on an angle to avoid being cut, you can get a weird waviness to your yard after a while.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/2/22 2:27 p.m.

To answer the original question... when i can sit on it and mow 60" wide for two hours.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/22 2:29 p.m.

I agree with Rev on the riders.  They need a little more time and some actual EV battery tech, the power tool style packs just don't quite have the capacity for good run time.  EGO is a solid mower, great build quality, decent bagging.  The self propel will leave scalp marks in your yard if you have Bermuda.  The EGO self propel on the rear axle "hops" up about 1/2" every time it is engaged and drops back down when you let off to make a turn.

I have a lot of bias but the Ryobi 40V lineup is some of the best consumer grade DC mowers on the market.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/22 2:31 p.m.

I already did 2 years ago. I hated having gas cans everywhere, premix, and winterizing things. Now I have 3 chargers, 4 batteries, and electric everything including the mower (Greenworks 40V). I literally just did the yard yesterday. Mowed all 3 yards (tall and wet, it's spring) and weed eated on 1.5 batteries. I also have a chainsaw, polesaw, and edger. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/2/22 2:39 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:
tuna55 said:

My next mower will be EV and automated. I hate mowing, and they do a better job.

 

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic-lawn-mowers/

Those things are terrible, no lift on the blades just a spinning little razor blade.  The grass learns to grow on an angle to avoid being cut, you can get a weird waviness to your yard after a while.

Did you have one?

I have seen these come up in several threads recently.  I like what they are on paper.  I'm skeptical about their function on anything but an already flat, manicured, single piece of lawn with no rocks, poo, fences, etc.  There seem to be lots of comments on them, but nobody with direct first hand experience :(

 

 

Regarding the original question:  I'd love to go to one now, but its hard to justify when I have a Honda push mower that works just fine.  So I'm going to have to wait for something to break, or more likely, until I move somewhere else.  If mine needed $73 worth of stuff I might just sell it and go straight to electric mower.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/22 2:43 p.m.

FWIW, I don't have a propelled mower and don't need one. I'm fine with pushing. It's like exercise, right? 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/2/22 2:43 p.m.

They are still pretty lightweight (in ability, parts ruggedness) compared to gas. I have a Ryobi 40v push, and a Ryobi 48v small pack rider. The blades are puny-don't hit any roots. They also just don't inspire feelings of power. You turn on the blades and they spin up slowly, leaves don't blow all over creation, they don't suck all the sand up down to the dirt underneath if you sit in one spot too long, etc. I came from an oversized raggety heavy residential/light commercial Husqvarna that smashed everything so my reference point is pretty unreasonable.

TLDR: 48v "rear engine style" Ryobi Rider-it always works, mows the yard fine, has a precision in slow driving placement the gas one couldn't match. Lower power than commercial gas and the blades are delicate. Bought used for half of new and am very pleased.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/22 2:44 p.m.

And, I'll add the Ego chainsaw is kinda trippy to use. It sounds like an electric carving knife but had no trouble cutting up a downed limb. I know it's not going to clear cut a forest, but I just need something to help cut up anything that falls down. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/2/22 2:45 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
RacetruckRon said:
tuna55 said:

My next mower will be EV and automated. I hate mowing, and they do a better job.

 

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic-lawn-mowers/

Those things are terrible, no lift on the blades just a spinning little razor blade.  The grass learns to grow on an angle to avoid being cut, you can get a weird waviness to your yard after a while.

Did you have one?

I have seen these come up in several threads recently.  I like what they are on paper.  I'm skeptical about their function on anything but an already flat, manicured, single piece of lawn with no rocks, poo, fences, etc.  There seem to be lots of comments on them, but nobody with direct first hand experience :(

 

 

Regarding the original question:  I'd love to go to one now, but its hard to justify when I have a Honda push mower that works just fine.  So I'm going to have to wait for something to break, or more likely, until I move somewhere else.  If mine needed $73 worth of stuff I might just sell it and go straight to electric mower.

 a neighbor had one and his lawn looked amazing. I went to the dealer and talked and asked questionsw for an hour. I want one. They can handle hills and roots and stuff if you get the right one for your yard. Have them come and look and I am pretty sure they are on the hook to make it work if they do the the install. 

 

 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/2/22 2:55 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

To answer the original question... when i can sit on it and mow 60" wide for two hours.

We're living in the future

 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/22 3:05 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

You beat me to it. I was going to say last year....

https://meangreenproducts.com/

The local Ferris dealer sells these too. It is very pricey but it does all the things a ferris does, silently and all day. Some of the local lawn people are giving them a go now, they say it extends their available mowing time because of noise. I think they can also charge a premium to the green crowd, of which I am one (but that is speculation).

 

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
5/2/22 3:19 p.m.

I got my push mower out for the year, realized I needed to clean up the carb, remembered I hate small engines and went out and bought an electric push mower. I only mow a small dog run with it, the rest of the yard is done with a rider but so far the electric mower is just fantastically better to live with. I hope it holds up well, if it lasts 4 years it is probably at least as good as 2/3 of the gas push mowers on the market.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/2/22 3:40 p.m.

I'm watching this thread. I'm thinking of upgrading from my reel mower (no joke) as it's struggling with the new type of grass I've seeded with (it's fine, but thick).

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/22 3:47 p.m.
tuna55 said:
ProDarwin said:
RacetruckRon said:
tuna55 said:

My next mower will be EV and automated. I hate mowing, and they do a better job.

 

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic-lawn-mowers/

Those things are terrible, no lift on the blades just a spinning little razor blade.  The grass learns to grow on an angle to avoid being cut, you can get a weird waviness to your yard after a while.

Did you have one?

I have seen these come up in several threads recently.  I like what they are on paper.  I'm skeptical about their function on anything but an already flat, manicured, single piece of lawn with no rocks, poo, fences, etc.  There seem to be lots of comments on them, but nobody with direct first hand experience :(

 

 

Regarding the original question:  I'd love to go to one now, but its hard to justify when I have a Honda push mower that works just fine.  So I'm going to have to wait for something to break, or more likely, until I move somewhere else.  If mine needed $73 worth of stuff I might just sell it and go straight to electric mower.

 a neighbor had one and his lawn looked amazing. I went to the dealer and talked and asked questionsw for an hour. I want one. They can handle hills and roots and stuff if you get the right one for your yard. Have them come and look and I am pretty sure they are on the hook to make it work if they do the the install. 

 

 

I haven't personally had one but know a couple of the engineers that worked on them in the past.  There's some GPS based ones that are just popping up on the market that look promising.  Besides the setup the blade design is the next biggest issue I see.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/22 4:01 p.m.

And, right on cue, our neighbor's yard crew just arrived, gas-powered machines now going at full chat. 

I admit, I like the quiet. I use a broom, a rake and a manual edger. 

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
5/2/22 4:41 p.m.

Got an EGO self propelled 5 years ago, while I do like the quiet and environmental aspects this thing is not as well built as I expected for 500 bucks.  My lot is about 3/4 acre and flat.  For the first 2 years it cut the whole thing on one charge, got a replacement battery under warranty and now between the 2 it still does the job.  That is the only good thing I can say about it.  The blade needs to be sharpened EVERY time.  I have never seen a blade go dull so fast.  At year  4 the wiring harness to the handle developed an open somewhere so it only moved at slow speed.  No problem, just wire, crimps and zip ties.  A year after that the gearbox got real noisy.  Opened it up and no grease inside.  I packed it and while it is still noisy not as bad as it was.  I expect a better product for the money and their customer service is terrible.  I registered it after buying but claims for the harness were refused because I couldn't provide the receipt.  No where did the warranty state I needed to keep the receipt.The CC bill showing month and year of purchase were not good  enough.  A real weaselly way to get out of claims IMHO.  Hopefully I can keep this thing running for a few more years but no EGO product again.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/2/22 4:49 p.m.

I got an EGO with the big battery last year with one of our stimulus checks and so far it has been awesome.  Our yard is not big so I can get a yard and a half out of one charge, it folds up out of the way, is light and all I had to do to get it running this year was put the battery in.

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
bhNjUt8HLhdWFx1UclpSHUHhQCLJn7wHSt8E0O58flsMoYUuymQm4Ty3trD5UNes