1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/16/09 5:50 a.m.
pigeon wrote: NY - 2" square inspection sticker and 2x4" registration sticker both bottom drivers side windshield.

The "Safety Inspection" sticker has a 1/4" diameter hole punched in the proper month around the sticker's perimeter. Amazing that a cop going the other way, at a 130 mph passing speed, this guy can see the incorrectly punched hole one notch off!

Good eyes.

Dan

mith612
mith612 New Reader
12/16/09 5:55 a.m.

Maine - roughly 3" by 4" sticker either high and centered behind rear view mirror (most common) or driver side lower corner. Visual safety inspection done once a year on all cars, and emissions for those registered in Cumberland County (ie Portland and surrounding area).

And I'm glad we do inspections, you should see the brake lines on many of the vehicles that come in. What upsets me is not being able to impound terribly unsafe vehicles like some states allow their inspectors to do.

carzan
carzan Reader
12/16/09 5:55 a.m.

CT has no "official" inspection. But, you must bring any vehicle purchased out of state to the DMV for a VIN verification before they will complete the registration process. If the VIN inspector notices any obvious hazards, he can refuse to complete the inspection and make you get whatever the issue is repaired before continuing. Our BABE Celica had a bend in the lip of one of the wheels (like it had been driven over a curb) that the inspector noticed and made me change out the wheel before he would complete the inspection. However, I have trailered cars in as non-op and gotten them registered no problem.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/09 6:12 a.m.

In the UK - yearly safety & emissions inspection. No sticker for either, we get an A4 sized certificate. It has a 'reminder' sticker on it that you can stick to the inside of your windscreen but that's it.

You do need however to pass the inspection, have insurance and pay your road tax (like the yearly tag, just a lot more expensive). For those troubles you get a tax disc that you're supposed to display in the lower LHD corner of the windscreen.

The police can check all of the above in real time anyway these days so you an get away with not displaying the disc. The one for my main bike resides in my wallet as I've had a few stolen and I hate having to replace them.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
12/16/09 7:29 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
pigeon wrote: NY - 2" square inspection sticker and 2x4" registration sticker both bottom drivers side windshield.
The "Safety Inspection" sticker has a 1/4" diameter hole punched in the proper month around the sticker's perimeter. Amazing that a cop going the other way, at a 130 mph passing speed, this guy can see the incorrectly punched hole one notch off! Good eyes. Dan

They just check to see that the color is the right one, as it changes yearly. I know this because somehow I forgot to get my last car inspected for nearly a year before a Trooper pulled me over...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/16/09 7:46 a.m.

GA - 1" x 1" sticker on the license plate.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
12/16/09 7:47 a.m.

Ohio has nothing.

When i lived in OK about 10 years ago, they had some BS safety inspection that was done at mechanics shops. Oddly enough, there was always something "Wrong" with my car that needed to be fixed before it would pass...

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/16/09 8:00 a.m.

MN- Nada. They're more worried about if my window tint is too dark (It is, but I have a prescription) than if my car is belching carbon because it runs too rich and my cats are on my coffee table (they are).

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
12/16/09 9:00 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In the UK - yearly safety & emissions inspection. No sticker for either, we get an A4 sized certificate. It has a 'reminder' sticker on it that you can stick to the inside of your windscreen but that's it. You do need however to pass the inspection, have insurance and pay your road tax (like the yearly tag, just a lot more expensive). For those troubles you get a tax disc that you're supposed to display in the lower LHD corner of the windscreen. The police can check all of the above in real time anyway these days so you an get away with not displaying the disc. The one for my main bike resides in my wallet as I've had a few stolen and I hate having to replace them.

Being an ex Pat Brit I'm fully aware of what happens there, when I first moved to Michigan I thought no testing was great. It didn't take long to realize that once you remove the typical 'bend over and there's no lube for this' tax rate (that's all the tax disc is) It actually makes a lot of sense.

A brief summary is this.

New car's are not tested for three years, after that you have an annual inspection that vigorously covers vehicle safety and integrity. I mean they check windshield, wipers, brakes, lights, shocks, tyres (UK remember), structural integrity etc etc. Any repairs within 3" of a suspension mount must be fully seam welded, not tacked into place bodges allowed. It's a thorough test and keeps crappy unsafe cars off the road.

The emissions part makes a lot of sense to me too. No visual, no OBDII tests (well OBDII didn't exist when I left so it may have changed) Just the tail pipe test that has levels appropriate to the year of vehicle manufacture. Once vehicles are a certain age they just mustn't smoke. That's the perfect compromise to me. You can do whatever the hell you like. If you want to fit a 1960's era F1 DFV with Megasquirt to a 90's Mini go for it, just as long as it passes the tail pipe test. Non of this crap where you can't fit things that aren't CARB approved (Ca) or plug in the OBD and it passes even though you've had a reflash and have junked all the emissions controls. It's simple and to my mind works.

Any engine swap you like, but you better damn well register the engine # change with the DVLA (Department of Vehicle Licensing Authority) or your in the sh1tter.

I leave any updates to this to those who live or have lived there since 94 though.

Adrian

dimeadozen
dimeadozen New Reader
12/16/09 9:06 a.m.

CO- no annual safety inspection, emissions every 2 years. Vehicles are exempt from emissions testing for the first X # years when sold new, and must display a sticker to this effect. Otherwise, the only sticker is the yearly registration renewal sticker on the license plate.

In most parts of the state, the emissions test consists of putting the vehicle in neutral, revving the engine and taking tailpipe readings. Some areas have an "enhanced" emissions test that involves running the car through a test on a dyno. Apparently, the people at the testing center get real pissy if you jokingly ask them if your $30 gets you HP/ Torque figures in addition to your tailpipe numbers.

The enhanced emissions test also involves screwing your gas cap into a jig that measures the torque at which the racheting mechanism on the cap engages. I nearly failed my last test (and did receive a stern lecture) because my 17 year old cap NEARLY engaged with too little pressure.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/09 9:14 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Being an ex Pat Brit I'm fully aware of what happens there, when I first moved to Michigan I thought no testing was great. It didn't take long to realize that once you remove the typical 'bend over and there's no lube for this' tax rate (that's all the tax disc is) It actually makes a lot of sense.

I have no beef with the testing. I'm German (well, the screen name kinda gave that away) so I'm used to have vehicles subjected to stringent tests every year or every two years. Given the amount of problems they find, I'm apprehensive of the condition of the vehicles if the tests were removed.

Adrian_Thompson wrote: The emissions part makes a lot of sense to me too. No visual, no OBDII tests (well OBDII didn't exist when I left so it may have changed) Just the tail pipe test that has levels appropriate to the year of vehicle manufacture.

They're now doing more extensive checks and some of them look like they might use OBD readouts. For older cars it's still probe up the tail pipe.

Adrian_Thompson wrote: Any engine swap you like, but you better damn well register the engine # change with the DVLA (Department of Vehicle Licensing Authority) or your in the sh1tter.

I think they're less hot on engine numbers these days (I believe some of the old stuff didn't even have a chassis number, only an engine number) as you get more and more vehicles without engine numbers. But yes, if you change the engine, you better tell the DVLA the new displacement and the new engine number.

That said, there always seem to be cars for sale on ebay that have had engine swaps and the current owner conveniently forgot to tell the DVLA about the hike in displacement.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
12/16/09 9:46 a.m.

What is this "inspection" you speak of?

I get a letter in the mail saying my tags are about to expire. I stuff some money in an envelope mail it off and soon I receive my new tags.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
12/16/09 9:53 a.m.

We have no inspections here in KY.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/16/09 9:56 a.m.

In NY IIRC, both stickers go on the left fork tube on motorcycles

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
12/16/09 10:01 a.m.

OK no inspections since 10th grade in high school '98.

It would be nice if they did though, maybe get some of the illegals with no insurance off the streets.

Gonzo_Bmod
Gonzo_Bmod New Reader
12/16/09 10:03 a.m.

In reply to neon4891:

In NY for bikes it's an inspection sticker on the left front fork tube and a registration sticker on the rear plate.

NY is so pathetic that they can't even get registration stickers made that actually stick to the windshield. Must be someone's relative in the state assembly has a glue company and......they also recently tried to stick us with having to buy new plates just because they can't seem to balance the state budget. NY- The Vampire State

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
12/16/09 2:56 p.m.

I realize the 1st post said NORTHERN states, but in it's stupidity, my CITY requires an emissions inspection, but there is no sticker placed ANYWHERE on the vehicle. And because this city (Memphis) is NOT consolidated, if you live JUST OUTSIDE the city limits, you don't need to worry....no emissions inspection.

At my previous address, if I had lived 3 miles NORTH or EAST....I would have been in an out of city zipcode. And now I've recently found out that if you can prove it will cost $XXX to get a car/truck to pass the inspection.....you can get a waiver.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
12/16/09 3:13 p.m.

Washington State

No safety inspection.

Western part of the state - Emissions after five years from new, every other year afterwards for the first 25 years, then no more. We get a registration sticker for the rear plate, but you can't get it unless you've passed emissions, or tried to and spent $100 (?) on fixing the emmission issue at an ASE certified mechanic.

Yeah, we don't care if your car is falling apart, has no brakes, balding tires or headlights aimed too high, as long as you don't pollute even one PPMv beyond the specified limits. We, like Oregon, are slaves to California regs. I just hope we don't drop our 25 year old vehicle rolling exemption for a 1970's limit like CA did.

Jack

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
12/16/09 3:32 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Being an ex Pat Brit I'm fully aware of what happens there, when I first moved to Michigan I thought no testing was great. It didn't take long to realize that once you remove the typical 'bend over and there's no lube for this' tax rate (that's all the tax disc is) It actually makes a lot of sense.
I have no beef with the testing. I'm German (well, the screen name kinda gave that away) so I'm used to have vehicles subjected to stringent tests every year or every two years. Given the amount of problems they find, I'm apprehensive of the condition of the vehicles if the tests were removed.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: The emissions part makes a lot of sense to me too. No visual, no OBDII tests (well OBDII didn't exist when I left so it may have changed) Just the tail pipe test that has levels appropriate to the year of vehicle manufacture.
They're now doing more extensive checks and some of them look like they might use OBD readouts. For older cars it's still probe up the tail pipe.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Any engine swap you like, but you better damn well register the engine # change with the DVLA (Department of Vehicle Licensing Authority) or your in the sh1tter.
I think they're less hot on engine numbers these days (I believe some of the old stuff didn't even have a chassis number, only an engine number) as you get more and more vehicles without engine numbers. But yes, if you change the engine, you better tell the DVLA the new displacement and the new engine number. That said, there always seem to be cars for sale on ebay that have had engine swaps and the current owner conveniently forgot to tell the DVLA about the hike in displacement.

I never really got why so many countries taxed based on displacement, as there are many exceptions as far as fuel economy, power etc... Then I got it - Mo money, mo money, mo money!

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/16/09 3:38 p.m.

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
12/16/09 4:24 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote:
I think they're less hot on engine numbers these days (I believe some of the old stuff didn't even have a chassis number, only an engine number) as you get more and more vehicles without engine numbers. But yes, if you change the engine, you better tell the DVLA the new displacement and the new engine number. That said, there always seem to be cars for sale on ebay that have had engine swaps and the current owner conveniently forgot to tell the DVLA about the hike in displacement.
I never really got why so many countries taxed based on displacement, as there are many exceptions as far as fuel economy, power etc... Then I got it - Mo money, mo money, mo money!

they'd make a fortune off of my ol' parents. like 6 or 7 cars, and only 1 isn't a V8, but to make up for that, it's turbocharged.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/16/09 6:06 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Thats awesome!! I hate emission tests and inspections. All they are is a tax on poor people. Too much is left to the opinion of the inspector. If he likes you, you pass, having a bad day? You fail. Too many horror stories about cars being damaged on dynos by careless or poorly trained testing staff. Try to put a different engine in your car (depending on state) and you get a big NO, even if it burns cleaner and gets better mileage than than the one you took out.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
12/16/09 6:24 p.m.

NC , OBD 2 ('96 and newer) get "safety" inspection and emission testing... hooked up to the OBD port and I guess it looks for cel's ... costs an extra $20 over the '95 and older vehicles ... and all that consists of is do the wipers, horn, head lights, tail & brake lights work, and does the brake pedal "feel" ok..?

no check to see if the car will actually stop, no check to see if the shocks actually work... just another way for the state to collect some money.... berkeleyer's...

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/09 6:26 p.m.

Washington State - No inspection, no sticker, no emissions, no care. Pay your $30 a year for registration and GTFO out of the license office, NEXT!!!!

hotrodroxie
hotrodroxie
1/22/11 11:41 p.m.

in texass, u get new plates every 7 or 8?yrs, sooner if u WANT to pay 70 some dollars for w/e reason....your registration($60+dep. on vehicle) & inspection($12-15) stickers go on the bottom of driver side window(technically i think its anywhere along that edge as long as it doesn't block view) and r good for 1yr. & expire the last day of the month on them

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZKEDp4fMt3XgOHqpNXm3TAhbLsRAbVYbQcmmRyHuwciabxIVLGFN4kO3qTfnlMkf