1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 49
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/22 3:21 p.m.

Tried to delete but the button doesn't work. 

Toyman!
10/13/22 3:22 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I'm sure there are some smart guys out there that understand the system. 

I'm also pretty sure they don't work for the FED or the government. 

My hindbrain wants to batten down the hatches and prepare for a rough ride. I sure hope I'm wrong. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/13/22 3:30 p.m.

One big thing to remember is the stock market is not the economy, and they can move independently of each other.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/13/22 3:31 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
....The gas prices were driven up before the war...in anticipation of the war. It wasn't a coincidence, it's just that you can't prevent the market from acting on speculation.

Sort of, but not super obvious.  As you can see in the chart below, there is the obvious COVID crash, the first red bar is around late Oct 2021 (a bit flat before that), the second bar is the time when Russia started building up forces. Which wasn't super obvious at that point what they were doing, that wasn't really a serious concern until later in the year, so probably more the second spike after that.  The third bar is that start of the invasion.  The dump before the invasion is an increase in Saudi production I believe(?)  As you can see, the rate of increase from the first bar to the third is pretty constant. (green is a sort of average price from before COVID)

What is more interesting is the second chart which is a wider historical chart.  As you can see, even the current price is not out of line of prices from pre 2014.  And yes, gas prices are clearly higher, which points to other issues.  In the case of the US, a lot of that appears to be refining issues (as in, not enough) and of course... futures... lack of confidence.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/13/22 4:24 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

One big thing to remember is the stock market is not the economy, and they can move independently of each other.

True,  but the folks with a lot of exposure to the markets also tend to be the folks who run companies.  All too often if they think a recession is coming they will make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/13/22 5:39 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
frenchyd said:

I'm in no illusion the pie gets bigger if we just tax the rich. 
     But they love the current deal. They control 90% of the nations wealth and only have to pay  25% of the taxes!!!! What a deal.  

So they like paying 25% of the taxes even though they're only 1% of the population? Nice job trying to twist the stats, how much "wealth they control" is irrelevant.

Your concept isn't valid. In fact it proves my point.   If I can have most of the wealth of America I'd gladly pay 25% of the taxes because I know I should pay 99.99% of the taxes.  

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
10/13/22 6:04 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Nevermind that you are commenting on something from pages/months back, but I think you are completely misunderstanding how taxes work and the difference between wealth and income. Let's pretend that your numbers above are accurate, and the richest 1% control 90% of the wealth and pay 25% of the taxes. You are combining two separate things- wealth and income. We are generally not taxed on wealth, with some exceptions- mostly property. We are taxed on income. Wealth is what we accumulate when we have more income than we spend. The wealthy are most certainly taxed on income- they pay a much higher portion of their income in tax. Once it has already been taxed, it becomes their wealth. What you are proposing is to continuously tax their wealth, after they paid their share of tax during the process of accumulating it. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/13/22 7:15 p.m.

I think if we want this topic to progress then we should probably stop reiterating the same points to the same person who is posting the same incorrect information. Especially when they're replying to post that are from almost 4 months ago. Getting no where. I hate to ignore people but I think it's the best option at this point. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
10/13/22 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

eastsideTim said:

True,  but the folks with a lot of exposure to the markets also tend to be the folks who run companies.  All too often if they think a recession is coming they will make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

Back to the current discussion, I think you hit the nail on the head. Not only do those who run companies tend to create self fulfilling prophecies, the media and politicians (whichever side is not in power at the time) tend to support that outcome. Businesses become nervous and pull back, reducing inventory and staffing- which lowers sales. We are in a real odd situation now, in which businesses will likely face shortages AND too much inventory at the same time. The supply chain disruptions created a rubber band effect. They put in big orders due to the shortages, but by the time they have filled, demand may have dropped, leaving them sitting on excess inventory. But if they overreact and don't order enough or cancel orders, we are back to shortages and higher prices.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/13/22 8:29 p.m.

It seems like food prices are a prime driver.  It seems like many of the food increases are well beyond the stated inflation.  It's also something that is unlikely to be affected by the interest rate hikes (unlikely most will cut down on food purchases!)

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/personal-finance/why-are-food-prices-still-rising/

Eggs up 40%!  (having chickens is certainly helpful here)

General reasons stated in the article are: 

- Disruption due to COVID (you would think this would be clearing up by now)

- Ukraine, both as a source of fertilizer, and the destruction of crops which will drive up world food demand / prices.

Of course, if the Ukraine war ended tomorrow, it could still take quite a while to return to normal.  So... don't expect anything to change a lot anytime soon.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/13/22 8:55 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Food inflation is horrible right now.   Case in point.  Breakfast sandwiches:  I occasionally buy a box of prepackaged frozen sausage and egg biscuits from Aldis.  Two months ago the box was $3.99.  I bought the exact same product on the way home from work  tonight and it now cost $5.19.

That's 30% inflation. In two months !!! Ouch.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/13/22 10:13 p.m.

They're not just passing along inflated costs from their suppliers, they're also keeping more of that money for themselves.

By their own account, grocery store profit margins in 2020/2021 were also higher than they've been in 35 years.

Meanwhile, companies like Pepsico are seeing revenue and profits increase thanks to raising prices:

When the company that makes/supplies the food as well as the store that sells it are both making more profit, you get tons of inflation.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/13/22 10:24 p.m.

If anybody is interested in The Fed's outlook on the situation and their plan moving forward, this speech from last week (before the latest bad PPI and CPI reports) puts their plan in pretty clear language.*

*This is just one member of the Fed, rather than an official stance but it's a pretty aggressive stance for them to share on their website.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/13/22 10:35 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
10/13/22 11:16 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I wonder if grocery stores made more because of volume? Less waste, etc. Way more people ate at home vs out in 20-21. That could explain a lot of it. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/14/22 7:24 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

That is worth considering. But they also paid their employees more, and around me spent money on infrastructure changes to support pickup and delivery services.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/22 8:14 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to aircooled :

Food inflation is horrible right now.   Case in point.  Breakfast sandwiches:  I occasionally buy a box of prepackaged frozen sausage and egg biscuits from Aldis.  Two months ago the box was $3.99.  I bought the exact same product on the way home from work  tonight and it now cost $5.19.

That's 30% inflation. In two months !!! Ouch.

That may be due to a sort of "compounded inflation" - a combination of both higher material costs + higher labor costs = one very pricey pre-made sandwich. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/14/22 8:35 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

It's a box of four sandwiches (not just one).  A very concrete example that stuck in my mind, because it use to be ~$1 per sandwich.  It's now $1.2975 / sandwich.

Toyman!
10/14/22 8:49 a.m.

Egg and chicken prices are being driven by the supply. Avian flu went through the chicken and egg farms and somewhere around 30 million birds had to be destroyed. It put a serious dent in the chicken and egg supply and drove prices through the roof. That's also probably driving the breakfast sandwich prices as well. 

https://www.cnet.com/science/bird-flu-epidemic-egg-chicken-prices-soaring/

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/14/22 8:58 a.m.

One nice thing about the rate hikes - during the next significant recession, the Fed will have some room to use the traditional method of rate cuts to fight it, instead of using the moral hazard-ridden method of buying securities to prop markets up that has been used more recently.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
10/14/22 9:01 a.m.

Forgive me for weighing in without reading all 30 pages, but I feel the need to shard my logic on this.

The supply demand curve is close to newton's laws regarding accuracy over time.  When you have less widgets everyone wants one and the price goes up.  When there is inventory that no one wants the price goes down in an effort to sell it.  I have witnessed exceptions but the laws are true more than not.

So lets look at available workforce.  My generation, which is a pretty big part of the workforce, is moving to retirement.  So less people to work means labor costs go up.  

Now lets go back a few years to the COVID times.  People stuck at home didn't spend as much money as they had coming in.  Then things got better but there was a lag between when people wanted to spend and new stuff was being made to sell.  Hence the boom in used stuff prices.  Sold our extra 200 dollar kayak for 300 in a few hours, by the end of the day it was relisted at 350!  We all  saw what havok it reigned on used car prices, RV prices, etc.

Then the new stuff pipelines finally got filled, but the effect of less people and demand made a situation for prices to go up.  

Sounds a lot like inflation has happened.

What am I doing?  Reducing spending and waiting for the shift the other way.  We buy chicken thighs and drumsticks instead of boneless breasts.  Only buy meat on sale and then buy a lot and freeze it.  And eat a lot less.  Parked the truck and bought a used prius. 

Already seeing the shift in inventory.  Bought new jeans last night, my size of short and fat rarely is in stock.  The volume of 36x29 jeans was easily 10X normal.  Cost a fortune but I buy new jeans every 5 years.  RV prices are coming down and my other extra kayak went from 350 to 300 and still no bites in a month.

My logic works for me, feel free to comment.  In the mean time my CDs at 4% are a great place to park money.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/14/22 9:05 a.m.
porschenut said:

My logic works for me, feel free to comment.  In the mean time my CDs at 4% are a great place to park money.  

Where are you getting 4% and what length term?  I dove in about a week after the last rate hike for some one year CDs at 3.25%.  Still have some more in savings I could move to CDs, though, just leery of having a window of more than a year, based on the odds of rates continuing to climb.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/14/22 9:06 a.m.

In reply to porschenut :

I agree completely with your assessment. The only thing I'll add is that not only were folks staying home during Covid, the government (in a completely bipartisan effort) was dumping massive amounts of money into the economy. When you create a bunch of new dollars but the amount of stuff they can buy is the same (or even less because of supply chain issues), that's a perfect recipe for inflation.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/14/22 10:04 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
porschenut said:

Where are you getting 4% and what length term?  I dove in about a week after the last rate hike for some one year CDs at 3.25%.  Still have some more in savings I could move to CDs, though, just leery of having a window of more than a year, based on the odds of rates continuing to climb.

4% when inflation is almost 9%........I'm not seeing the benefit? The market will come back, it always does, so I'm matching my 401k and putting extra in my Roth. 

We rarely keep cash on hand because of inflation under normal times. If we need something big, credit, swap to another for 0% pay it off in a couple months, then go back to throwing money at retirement. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/14/22 10:08 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to porschenut :

I agree completely with your assessment. The only thing I'll add is that not only were folks staying home during Covid, the government (in a completely bipartisan effort) was dumping massive amounts of money into the economy. When you create a bunch of new dollars but the amount of stuff they can buy is the same (or even less because of supply chain issues), that's a perfect recipe for inflation.

Right? Who would have thought throwing $5 Trillion into the economy in less than two years would cause inflation? Especially since a lot of it went to people who didn't need it. I didn't get any stimulus checks, but my fiance did. So she started collecting old 60s Corningware and stuff like that. 

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 49

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
W94DwP63sSkKQpErHULCqMnIyieQqW5KVSF4qriBx8u6k2cSUkr1IJEBtBrF43id