1 2
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/11/22 2:30 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Very true. And I'm taking that gun he gave me to a .22 only Appleseed shoot in a couple months. Couldn't have done that with an SKS. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/11/22 3:36 p.m.

My Colt 1991A1 Compact. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/11/22 3:50 p.m.

I had a Arisaka that Bubba had done his worst work on.  Rope and tape covered pistol grip and sawn off barrel.   These days I would try to repair something like that.  I tossed it in a dumpster about 45 years ago.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/11/22 4:55 p.m.
bobzilla said:

My Colt 1991A1 Compact. 

Hey!  I might know somebody who bought one of those around 1994-1995 and still has it.

I've never sold a gun.  Probably never will.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/11/22 5:56 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

That and the century Golani Sporter (galil clone) are the only ones I sold. I regretted both but at least the rifle had issues cycling steel cases ammo at any time and brass when it had a few rounds through it (100-200). They'd get stuck in the chamber. 

I won't be selling anything again. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/11/22 6:22 p.m.

I'm kind of caught between have never sold a gun and have more guns than I am old that I have inherited. I've never shot half of them, and haven't shot any of them in over three years.

Lotta money just sitting locked up. Add to that two young kids...  

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/22 11:15 a.m.

I sold the first gun I ever bought, a MK3 Browning Hi Power, because I needed a set of tires and had no money.  Unfortunately seeing how much they are going for these days I will never get another to replace it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/20/22 10:30 a.m.

In reply to MarkThomas :

I've fired one of those once.  They shoot wonderful for such a small gun.  Before the current (last 15 years?) crop of 32/380/9mm plastic subcompacts, that would have been my choice for a small CCW.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
5/20/22 10:48 a.m.

Grandpa Jack had a matching pair of guns, a .308 and a 20-gauge. Some sort of collectors edition. Both had carved wood accents and gold inlays. When Jack died the guns were split between his step-sons, which were my Dad and uncle Alan. Years later Dad asks Alan about the gun. Turns out Alan pawned it nearly immediately for nothing. Dad was so pissed and would have happily given Alan the money to keep the guns together. Dad's gone so my brother has the .308 now safely stored. I've been tempted to try and track down a replacement 20-gauge to put them together again. Jack would have liked that.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/20/22 1:13 p.m.

A Browning Auto 5 shotgun.  I miss that fella.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/22 2:10 p.m.

allof'em.  I sold or gave away every last gun I owned when we moved out of country this last time and it kills me.  (We didn't know when we would be back, and didnt want to be the "I've got plans for those" guy)

Here's a rundown of the ones I regret most:

K98 Mauser, 1943 build date

M1 Garand, 1945 build date

1911, 1942 build date

My Great Grandfather's Stevens Arms single shot .22

My Grandfather's Stevens Arms single shot .22

My Mom's Remmington Speedmaster (pump action, tube fed) .22

Mrs. Hungary's Taurus .22mag revolver (8-shot)

My S&W Model 28 "Highway Patrollman" in .357

My first deer rifle (Intl. Arms .270 bolt action)

My FIL's Winchester .30-30 (Supposed to be the eldest's first deer rifle).

There's more, but those were the biggies.  Most of them have gone up in price so much, I'd probably never own another even after we move back.  The Mauser was under $300, and the Garand was $550.  I traded car parts for the 1911...  (sigh)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/20/22 2:12 p.m.

My Sega Menacer

Menacer - Sega Retro

or my Air Power Vector paintball gun.  It was pretty unique in the paintball world.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/20/22 2:15 p.m.

Two. One was a 1991A1 Compact Colt. The second was my Taurus 24/7 G1 in .45acp. Dad still has that one and doesn't shoot it much. Maybe I need to offer him something different he might like.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/22 4:34 p.m.

My first shotgun was a 20ga single shot from Sears I think.  I used it for hunting for my whole boyhood.  When I moved out the house I wanted to take it with me.  My dad told me it wasn't my shotgun, it was his, and it was staying.   

Fast forward like 25 years.  I am at his house one day and he gives me the shotgun.  Because I was the only son that wanted it.

I used it for squirrel hunting a few times.  Then he calls me and says never mind, I want it back (to take a grandson hunting).  So to avoid an argument I brought it back.  Grandson hated hunting, thinks its an evil right wing thing.      Another year and Dad gives it back.

I bring it home.  Only to find that someone had broken the receiver, an aluminum casting, and tried to fix it with JB weld.   No bueno.  I found out this happened when I took it apart to clean it  and it broke in half.   

Totally unrepairable.     More time passes and my two brothers are telling this hilarious story at a family gathering of how they broke the shotgun in half when one drunkenly fell on it while it was leaning against the wall, and how they fixed it and gave it back to dad without telling him.  I had to walk out the room.  If I told them what I thought of them at the time it would not have gone well forever.  (Remember Chief Joseph: "I will fight no more forever")

So that is the gun I regret not having anymore.  My first shotgun.  

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/22 4:37 p.m.

Rem Model 7 in 7mm08. 

Deer slayer.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/20/22 8:02 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

Always thought these were super cool. Really unique design (John Browning) and apparently a great shooter.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/21/22 9:41 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

It's going to be tricky. 

And take a big boat. laugh

It could happen.  Ever hear of a ferry?  They sink all the time.  

JAGwinn
JAGwinn New Reader
5/21/22 10:02 p.m.

Fox Savage Model B side-by-side; 20ga. Hammerless, double triggers. Bought in 1967.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
5/22/22 12:52 a.m.

Only two I can think of getting rid of which I kinda still would like to have were the Romanian PSL-54C and the Sig 522. Were both sold to help get out of some debt... 7.62x54R is one of my favorite rifle cartridges and the PSL-54C was extremely fun to shoot: 30-06 power level in a semi-auto rifle that was pleasant to shoot. Also a fan of the POSP scope got for it. The Sig 522 is a most excellent semi-auto 22... had zero feed or extraction issues with wide variety of ammo and was really precise/accurate to shoot fast... very fun to shoot. Both have gone way up in price these days...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/22 11:56 p.m.

Stainless steel Mini 14. Just a good simple rifle that was so accurate. For some reason I was really good with it. Nothing special really. Easily replaceable.  

Almost identical to this. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/23/22 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I went through a gun buying spree in my 20's or so. Had money, liked learning about guns and im a "hands on learner". 

now they are more of a burden, takes up space, gun safes are big and dont move easy. I dont care about guns anywhere near as much as i used to. So ive started selling some. So far, so good. Prices are good, im getting my money back. Also, so far ive sold 5 and no regrets. Some guns i didnt shoot that i had taking up space are now making some other folks happy and im happy with $. It stores a lot easier. I gotta sell a bunch more. Give me some $ for other stupid/fun things like powersports and stuff we need for the house. Im basically renovating the whole house. 

also im always going to keep some of them. Got plenty i want to keep, got some heirlooms that wont be going anywhere but family. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/23/22 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

I just sold one of my safe-queen garands. Service grade from the cmp in Anniston. I went a few times and picked out 3. I'll miss it but the shooter rack grade springfield and the special service grade greek return one i have which is a total safe queen cream puff make it ok. 

that 1911 must have really stung. And the pump .22.  I still dont have either. Probably wont considering the values. I love some cool .22's.  I have the new and old ruger chargers. So fun with a supressor. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/23/22 9:18 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

I'm kind of in a similar boat, just not as far along.  I haven't been shooting in ages due to various reasons (though I am trying to arrange the garage so I can set up a target for a pellet gun), but I'd like to get back into the habit.  So, right now, everything I own is a safe queen.  However, every time I consider selling something, I tend to remember why I bought it, or why I should keep it, and think about how hard it would be to replace if I wanted it again.  I've been getting more utilitarian in other aspects of my life, I really wish I could manage to be the same with my gun collection.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/23/22 6:45 p.m.

Ithaca Over-Under. Circa 1950s.

Didn't sell it. 

Just lost it to a family member who isn't really family. 

Grandfather didn't have a place to keep it, so gave it to uncle to keep in family gun safe. Uncle dies, Step-Aunt gives all guns to Step-Cousin. Step cousin never really had an attachment to my family or grandparents, so he runs off with thousands of dollars in guns with no sentimental value to him. 

Every time I ask about these guns, I get a response of "well they were given to him." No, he was allowed to use them because he took the gun safe that they were all in, along with guns that were rightfully his. 

Can't prove any of it, so a lost cause. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
12mNg0zl0vKpexts72U0OQ1Hv7Vr38YancvxVrReq7NDUIao2mrb5o8cfAO8YFY5