1 2
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/10 8:36 p.m.

So I've been debating on buying my first handgun, well I've got a .357 mag that I inherited from my grandfather, but I've told my grandmother to keep it till she feels she doesn't want it around the house anymore. I'm an avid shooter, and have my share of long guns, bolt action and semi, sport, and assault rifle. But I've been wanting something for possible concealed carry, home def, something different to shoot besides rifles. Narrowed the possibilities down some, in order of cost, Rock Island arms 1911semi compact (new), a Taurus 1911 fullsize with an accessory rail (likely get a light for it if I go this route) (used), XD .40 or .45 (new), or Glock 23 .40 (trijicon night sights, extra mags with extenders, NICE trigger job) (used)

I've wanted a 1911 for a LONG time, and was shocked to find em for less than the glock or XD. I've fired a 23 before, sweet shooting handgun, I like the weight and feel of the 1911's I've shot, never touched the XD outside the showroom, and I've heard some of the Taurus guns were bad news, though I can't remember if it was the semi autos, or the wheel guns.

The 1911 concerns me that my wife may not feel comfortable shooting it, though I'm quite comfortable with the kick of a .45 round, I don't think she has shot a handgun at all. I was thinking of getting her one of the lady smith .38 special revolvers, but I want her to at least understand how mine works.

Thought I would ask the knowledge base that is GRM for an opinion.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
9/10/10 8:45 p.m.

My wife actually prefers a .45 over shooting a .22 - it makes her giggle every time she fires. Ruger P90. Have her try stuff to find what she's most comfortable with. A while back I saw replicas of wwII 1911s well under $500. They were either springfields or colts can't quite remember

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/10 8:57 p.m.

I suspect that a full size 1911 will have much less kick than the Ladysmith with most common loads.

Spinout007
9/10/10 9:03 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Something about the .38sp round stopping a human target 9 out of 10 times with a single hit to the torso. I don't know the stats on the .45, but I know the 9mm was something like less than 6 out of 10, but more than 5 out of 10, so we'll call it 5.5 out of 10 just for arguments sake. But at least with the 9 you have a few more rounds.....

Spinout007
9/10/10 9:04 p.m.

I'm a big guy, 5'11" 260ish but I think even I might have a hard time not being obvious with a full frame 1911 trying to carry concealed.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
9/10/10 9:24 p.m.

Doesn't 9mm = .38?

I suppose I could go look it up, but where's the fun in that?

Spinout007
9/10/10 9:37 p.m.

I'm just regurgitating the statistics I was given in my old security guard certification class. but I imagine it has something to do with powder load, and round speed. Granted that class was like 12 years ago, and I haven't done security work other than bar bouncing in about 11. So that info may be a bit soured.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
9/10/10 9:55 p.m.

Charter arms Bulldog if you can find one.Wheelgun.

Dpvog
Dpvog Reader
9/10/10 10:03 p.m.

In reply to DoctorBlade:

Nope, .38 is a larger round than a 9.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/10/10 10:33 p.m.

If you want something for fun and "value", I'd go for one of the 1911s. If I wanted a zombie apocalypse, indestructible self defense gun, Glock.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
9/10/10 11:31 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: I'm a big guy, 5'11" 260ish but I think even I might have a hard time not being obvious with a full frame 1911 trying to carry concealed.

With the right holster, clothes, and a little practice, you'd be surprised.

On .38 Special vs 9X19: Bore size is pretty close, 0.357" vs 0.355". .38SPL typically uses heavier bubllets going slower, but not always.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
9/10/10 11:54 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: In reply to Woody: Something about the .38sp round stopping a human target 9 out of 10 times with a single hit to the torso. I don't know the stats on the .45, but I know the 9mm was something like less than 6 out of 10, but more than 5 out of 10, so we'll call it 5.5 out of 10 just for arguments sake. But at least with the 9 you have a few more rounds.....

Come on man, you could at least have a grain of truth in that statement!

Marshall and Sanow's collection of police shooting records shows the .38 Special has at best a one-shot stop of 83%, and a low of 49%, with the 9mm having a best of 91% and a worst of 81%...

Source of sources: http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

.38 Special is a very accurate round, but for stopping power? It's always been a bit of a wuss.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/10 2:57 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote: In reply to Woody: Something about the .38sp round stopping a human target 9 out of 10 times with a single hit to the torso. I don't know the stats on the .45, but I know the 9mm was something like less than 6 out of 10, but more than 5 out of 10, so we'll call it 5.5 out of 10 just for arguments sake. But at least with the 9 you have a few more rounds.....

You mentioned 1911, kick, wife, and Ladysmith in one paragraph. Nothing about stopping power.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
9/11/10 7:02 a.m.

I vote 1911, but I'm not familiar with the Rock Island brand. I have a Colt 1991 Compact model that is very concealable. The recoil is heavy, but not sharp. I'd say it's more comfortable than the .357 as far as recoil.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/11/10 7:13 a.m.

I have heard good things about Taurus, and we have a Taurus 380 baretta clone. I have heard nothing but good things about XD's. A full size steel frame 1911 doesn't kick much. My wife qualified for her concealed carry with one. She brought her Taurus 380 but we had steel core ammo and they wouldn't let us shoot that on the range, so she used my 1911 instead. A Star PD, however, once put her off of handguns for a year.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/11/10 7:19 a.m.

I have one of those. It makes a lot of smoke. It can also be shipped to your house for cheap.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=292272

A conversion cylinder allows you to shoot black powder "cowboy" rounds. No FFL and no registering as its a black powder gun.

Will
Will HalfDork
9/11/10 7:52 a.m.

The 1911 is a fantastic gun, and even full-sized ones conceal easily because they're so narrow. However, I'd be leery of the RIA. They're made in the Philippines, and while that doesn't make them automatically bad, I had a very bad experience with a Filipino-made 1911 of another brand. If at all possible, save up a bit more for a low-end Springfield. You can find a Springfield GI model for 500-600, and it's much better than the Rock Island.

Taurus quality seems to be hit or miss. Some people love them, some people have horror stories about them.

Glocks are quality weapons, but I have no experience with them. Fair or not, Glock .40s have a reputation for blowing up more than other pistols if you use lousy ammo.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/11/10 8:16 a.m.

I've got a Glock 17. Goes boom when you pull the trigger. And you can pull the trigger a whole bunch of times. Also big and difficult to conceal, if that's a criteria. I've shot a friend's Glock .40 (don't know the model number.) Recoil was not bad and it shot a lot more accurately than my 17, at least for me. Glocks also have a reputation for not tolerating cast bullets (boolits) because of the rifling. 1911's have a reputation for needing to be broke in before they start feeding reliably, except for the high end custom makes, but even Colts need to be broke in. I'm not sure where the Springfield GI 1911 is made. It might be Filipino too, but to better QC standards.

I think the important thing to do in a weapon selection is to start with a budget and go from there. How much do you want to spend? $100, $1000, more? You can't get much for $100, but very careful shopping may turn up a Helwan that will be just fine after a tuneup. $1K opens up a lot more possibilities, with plenty of choices in the $500 range. Also consider those Kahr's. They have a very good reputation.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
9/11/10 8:27 a.m.

Depending on how big your hands are, I found the XD didn't really fit my hand right. I didn't get to shoot it, but just holding my brothers I felt awkward to me.

Another vote for a Glock, but go for the .357 Sig! I'm looking to getting either a Glock 32 or 33 (compact or subcompact) depending on how small the company really is.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
9/11/10 10:25 a.m.

Try them all for fit to your body. I am a small person so while I have some large bore guns, my carry choices are different. I keep the big guns in the places where I perceive the biggest risk and spread the small guns out. I am really impressed with the XD and its safety provisions but it is such a "clunky' gun and difficult to conceal. The gun I really enjoy shooting is my cheapest: .380 Makarov. It is hard to beat the Keltec or the LCP for concealment.

Will
Will HalfDork
9/11/10 10:56 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I'm not sure where the Springfield GI 1911 is made. It might be Filipino too, but to better QC standards.

Brazil, but the pistols have a good reputation. I don't own one myself, though--love my Kimbers & HKs, but higher priced than what the OP is looking to spend.

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
9/11/10 2:29 p.m.

I have an XD .40 subcompact that me and the wife share. We both love it...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/11/10 4:03 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If you want something for fun and "value", I'd go for one of the 1911s. If I wanted a zombie apocalypse, indestructible self defense gun, Glock.

quoted for truth, I love my Glock 19, it goes everywhere I go.

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
9/11/10 6:09 p.m.

I have worked on customers rock island armory 1911's, all 3 styles, a1, compact and double stack, and haven't seen a problem with any of them. They are being imported by sarco inc. in northern nj, another excellent company. The RIA guns have good heat treating, good plating and if you find them on special in shotgun news a damn cheap price, $350 + transfer. All aftermarket parts fit pretty well, they fit great if you do a little tuning.

I'd stick with the .357 myself and shoot .38 special's in it, that's the nice thing about the 357 mag, you can shoot 2 different calibers.

stroker
stroker Reader
9/11/10 8:53 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Narrowed the possibilities down some, in order of cost, Rock Island arms 1911semi compact (new), a Taurus 1911 fullsize with an accessory rail (likely get a light for it if I go this route) (used), XD .40 or .45 (new), or Glock 23 .40 (trijicon night sights, extra mags with extenders, NICE trigger job) (used)

My $.02: Of the alternatives you list, if you're serious about CARRY (not just ownership) I'd get the XD in .45. Feedback from my customers on the XD line has been very good. As far as I'm concerned every "gun guy" should have a 1911, but they're not for everybody when it comes to carry. I'm very leery of all the tactical crap people are hanging off their pistols. The one time I had to use a light and shoot competitively I found the flexibility of the light in my off hand was more valuable than the convenience of being able to shoot two-handed. Full disclosure: I'm also biased against the 40 S&W, otherwise I'd have gone with the Glock as the best of your alternatives.

I was thinking of getting her one of the lady smith .38 special revolvers, but I want her to at least understand how mine works.

FWIW almost all the women I've taken shooting for their first time have been most comfortable with 38 revolvers over semis of all chamberings. Get a used Smith (perhaps a Model 10 which can be found cheap) and if she's going to carry it get a box of +P hollowpoints for carry purposes ONLY.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NB4JOEUlHVgMy1UbNZFy92s8yowsD3v4sfyyuBBQza3QXs1W5q3TZ0AbTOvH7cId