Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/8/21 5:56 p.m.

EDIT: I'm not looking to modify the motor casings, I'm looking to modify these casings

Power-Pole Micro Anchor - Gator Trax Boats

As you guys may remember, I like old boat motors and old boats.  I have a couple of these that have damaged bodies.  

I like the use of them, but I can't stand the design on them for an old boat.   I was hoping to have someone draw a rough design of a new casing for it so I could translate the drawing into CAD, then 3D print, and cast a more appropriate casing for my boat(s).  Something in a kind of art deco/mid-century modern look that matches the old outboards and the boats.

So, my boats are a '57 Herter's Mk.III Runabout, and a 1959 Lonestar Flamingo

The motor going on the Herter's is an Evinrude Fastwin.  The Herter's has these nice arrow details on the trim and such, if that helps with the design ideas.

And the motor going on the Lonestar is an Evinrude Lark III

So I'm looking for something kind of swoopy and retro-futurism kind of look.  If you want more inspiration you can find more outboards here or just google "1950s outboards"

https://www.smalloutboards.com/antiques.htm

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/21 6:14 p.m.

OjaiM5 maybe...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/21 10:03 p.m.

Do the motors have vents fo airflow  or are they sealed? If they are totally sealed, wrap the whole assembly in a plastic bag. Tape everything above the widest part tightly with the tape.  We are trying to make a basic outline of its shape.

Get a can of Great Stuff expanding foam. Go to Walmart and look at Tupperware style containers, like you'd use for cereal. Find one that's oval-ish and big enough to stick the motor in, preferably hard plastic.

Remove the lid and stick in the motor. Brace it so its vertical and even. 

Now dump in the Great Stuff. Don't go crazy. Once it hardens, pop it out, and remove the plastic.  Now the motor is secured in the container.  

Decorate the container.  Drawer pulls, 50s auto trim (think Pontiac stars) or self adhesive "stick on" generic doodads from Vatozone. 

I personally would glue 3 or 4 horizontal loops of plastic rod around the perimeter, like art deco ribbing, and ad a 50s car script to each side.

Paint the container with Fusion plastic spray paint in an appropriate color. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/21 3:08 p.m.

I always thought those Fastwin and Sportwin Evinrudes were totally sexy as-is.

I would add fins, honestly.  I wish I had a picture of my 1960 10hp 'rude.  I took some sharkfin tips off a Harley and riveted them on the cowl with a little bondo.  Painted them off-white to match and it looked great.  Somwhere there is an actual film photo of it, but I have no idea where.

The Larks always looked like a hungry hungry hippo to me.  The sides weren't awful, but the face... oy, the face.  Looked like a console radio from Star Trek.

Let me think on it.

Mr_Asa
4/9/21 5:28 p.m.

I think you guys are missing something, or I didn't explain it well.  I don't want to modify the motors, I want to modify the casing for this thing cause it looks way too modern for old boats.

The guts of it look like this:

Mr_Asa
4/9/21 5:34 p.m.

Also, fun fact, the motors are not sealed and get air through vents in the bottom of the cowl.  In fact the 25HP motor I showed was the first year of the larger motors and they didn't size the airflow vents properly.  I don't remember the exact figure, but it actually made 15-20HP with the cowl on.  You have to make a new hole in the bottom of the cowl for it to reach max HP.  One of the reasons I was happy to find my motor, it wasn't done yet so it was never really run hard.

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies New Reader
4/9/21 7:42 p.m.

What he wants is a vintage casing for a modern motor so that it matches the era of the boats he's using. Took me a minute, had to follow his link and he now has pics of what he's working with posted.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/9/21 8:18 p.m.

What about cutting the bottom out of an old motorcycle tank and bolting it to the top of the motor. No bottom should get it plenty of airflow.  Then add ribbing, doodads, or my favorite, drawer pulls like custom car guys did for grills in the 50s.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/9/21 8:39 p.m.
4/9/21 8:44 p.m.

OoOOOOOhhhhhh.... I thought he was stuffing an electric motor in the outboard and wanted to dress up the cowl.

I mean, we are talking about a guy putting cut-up LS heads on a 300 Ford.

CJ (FS)
4/9/21 8:56 p.m.
CJ (FS)
4/9/21 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe I am not understanding?  Thought he was trying to make the new trolling motor blend in with the old main outboard....

Mr_Asa
4/9/21 9:21 p.m.
CJ (FS) said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe I am not understanding?  Thought he was trying to make the new trolling motor blend in with the old main outboard....

Not a trolling motor, an anchor system.

I don't want to just slap an old hood on the anchor, I want to exercise my design skills and actually make my own case.  But I don't have any real artistic ability in this realm, so I'd like to get someone to do some rough sketches based on the anchor system itself, what it looks like inside, and the older motors so I can get something new that looks old.

4/10/21 4:43 p.m.

I have some of the design ability in my brain, but when it comes to drawing or CAD, I am awful.  I can imagine colors, shapes, and things, but putting them to paper or a vector file is not my strong suit.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/22 5:03 p.m.

Only just saw this or I might've given it a try. Still could if you're interested.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/22 5:16 p.m.

Definitely still interested.  My projects don't leave they just stall.

I'll email you later

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DYrbTHV7pqw2AwvkbGeAOLr2FrJtn1diB8fwYzwSuZ7rhlOOUYLnEj4qzq9wXBfW