bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/19 8:56 a.m.

My current toolbox has served me well for over a decade but I'm out of space and it's just in sad shape. 

So who makes good boxes now a days? Something in the 1-2K range for a roller chest of a good size. Looking for something that will last. 

Thanks guys. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/23/19 9:05 a.m.

Harbor freight?

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/23/19 9:12 a.m.

Yeah, the current HF boxes are nice. I've got the big top chest sitting on my bench and have been very happy with it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/19 9:17 a.m.

I've got one of the smaller HF roller chests and am pretty happy with it, especially for the price. Of course it seems to have magically shrunk in the year or so that I've owned it and I probably have to buy a bigger one...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/23/19 9:20 a.m.

Don't cut your hand

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/19 9:58 a.m.

Given the title, I'm confused how you could fill up that big of a toolbox with RC10 parts?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/19 11:35 a.m.

I also heartily recommend the Harbor Freight toolboxes, the US General Series 2 is what you're after. Just don't let Danger Box get your hand...

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
2/23/19 1:04 p.m.

The harbor freight 44X22 is the reigning champion of the home user. There are more threads about that box on garage journal than any other single topic. Head to YouTube and find a hundred videos comparing every detail to the other comparable boxes in the same price range. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/19 1:13 p.m.

Sounds like it's a clean sweep. Last time I looked at boxes at HF, they were junky but that's been 5-6 years ago so I didn't even have them on the list. 

Sounds like I have a place to go later today. 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/23/19 1:14 p.m.

I absolutely love my two chests from HF.  Seriously beefy, nice ball bearing drawer slides with latches.  Mine are about 6 years old and going strong.  Zero complaints.

I have this one and this one

Ironically, I also have a Craftsman of a similar vintage that isn't doing nearly as well.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/23/19 2:57 p.m.

While hard to argue against a H-F option, I've occasionally seen used "tool truck" boxes for sale on local FB groups in the $1-2K range.  Sometimes if you have cash in hand, you can make a pretty good deal.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
2/23/19 4:24 p.m.

If you decide to buy a Harbor Freight box and you can wait a bit, they regularly run some pretty aggressive sales on them several times a year. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/23/19 9:18 p.m.

https://www.ruralking.com/xdd-72-blue-tool-chest-10-drawer-xtb77210a

i was in this store the other day and the bottom half of this toolbox was $749.  It’s huge and felt really well built.  I’ll be getting one this year.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/25/19 8:41 a.m.

I just put this together.    Bottom with coupon ... 429.  Top was 169.   

HF is clearanceing the old RED narrower box for $329

https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/25/19 9:22 a.m.

My goal by this summer is to actually move OUT of my tool box. I want all my tools visible and hanging on the wall. My reasons are partially because of space restraints, but also because drawers are where junk goes to die. If I use it frequently, I want it on the wall. If I don't, I want it out of the way. 

We will see how it goes, maybe I will have a really old craftsman for sale cheap soon ;) not that it sounds like that's what you are looking for anyway. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/25/19 9:37 a.m.

I need to get a larger tool box as well.  Are you guys selling your old boxes and if so, where/how do you price them?  I'd love to keep my current box and just add another one but I don't have the space to keep it and add another one.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/25/19 9:38 a.m.

I spent a bunch of time looking at used Snap-On boxes (all beat to crap by the time they were in my price range) and looking at other brands of tool boxes because I didn't want my new tool box to have a Harbor Freight brand on it. Well, I ended up buying the HF box anyway. It's just that good compared to all the similarly priced competition. It's every bit as good as the low end snap-on boxes. I bought the 44" and my only complaint is the drawer layout. I really would have preferred wider drawers. But it works for what I need and it rolls well and is very solidly built so I'll put up with it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/25/19 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I've had a similar idea, but borrowing from the woodworking world and building a semi-free standing/wall mounted tool cabinet with various tool hung on doors and swing or sliding panels along with a few drawers. Since i have a fairly narrow garage where the foundation keeps things away from the wall a few inches, even my standard 18" deep cabinet and chest is becoming a bit of a pain to work around.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/25/19 10:26 a.m.
docwyte said:

I need to get a larger tool box as well.  Are you guys selling your old boxes and if so, where/how do you price them?  I'd love to keep my current box and just add another one but I don't have the space to keep it and add another one.

Facebook marketplace.   they went pretty quick.

I had some 3 26" Craftsman boxes of varying drawers/quality.   all went between 100-150.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
2/25/19 11:23 a.m.

FYI the HF 44 roller cabinet is going on sale March 8-10 for $399.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8AzbtKjHQIhO9856rVXe28cpE4RmCUK00OdPP8MnZ4WIOCqm19Dewdu69DbK7XIR