GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/12 2:38 p.m.

Saw this on Slashdot and LOL'd. It's an exaggeration, but not by much:

http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2884131&cid=40157809

What if drivers were hired like software developers? Job title: car driver Job requirements: professional skills in driving normal- and heavy-freight cars, buses and trucks, trolley buses, trams, subways, tractors, shovel diggers, contemporary light and heavy tanks currently in use by NATO countries. Skills in rally and extreme driving are obligatory! Formula-1 driving experience is a plus. Knowledge and experience in repairing of piston and rotor/Wankel engines, automatic and manual transmissions, ignition systems, board computer, ABS, ABD, GPS and car-audio systems by world-known manufacturers - obligatory! Experience with car-painting and tinsmith tasks is a plus. The applicants must have certificates by BMW, General Motors and Bosch, but not older than two years. Compensation: $15-$20/hour, depends on the interview result. Education requirements: Bachelor's Degree of Engineering.

I bet some of you could come close.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
5/30/12 2:56 p.m.

Bachelors of Engineering, Certificates from BMW, GM, and Bosch?

And only $20? Fun job, but not enough salary to pay the those student loan bills.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/30/12 3:27 p.m.

Pretty much just lacking in the education department. Haven't driven F1, but does an F150 count? I mean, there's 149 more of them!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/12 4:00 p.m.

It's funny because it's true. One of my previous employers decided they needed a webmaster. According to the posted requirements, only Tim Berners-Lee was qualified for it.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
5/30/12 4:07 p.m.

$15-20/hr?

for an engineer, plus all of that experience and other certifications?

I want some of what they're huffing.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
5/30/12 4:39 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: $15-20/hr? for an engineer, plus all of that experience and other certifications? I want some of what they're huffing.

While that is a little low (and this is FICTION guys!), I know enginerds who earn $25/h to start. I bet in the USofA it's even worse with how crappy your economy is right now.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/12 4:46 p.m.

I recall hearing about a posting for a Java developer, demanding a minimum of 10 years of Java experience at a point in time when Java had been around for maybe five years...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/12 4:50 p.m.
ransom wrote: I recall hearing about a posting for a Java developer, demanding a minimum of 10 years of Java experience at a point in time when Java had been around for *maybe* five years...

As the one guy put it:

"We're looking for a cab driver, it says here that you drove Caprices, we're looking for someone with five year's experience with a new Crown Vic"

Enggboy
Enggboy New Reader
5/30/12 4:53 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
akamcfly wrote: $15-20/hr? for an engineer, plus all of that experience and other certifications? I want some of what they're huffing.
While that is a little low (and this is FICTION guys!), I know enginerds who earn $25/h to start. I bet in the USofA it's even worse with how crappy your economy is right now.

When I started my first job out of school (Mec. Eng.) in Alberta, I made less than $22/hr. This was in 2006. Now, it was a great job with great coworkers, but the pay was rock bottom (benefits were minimal too).

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
5/30/12 5:05 p.m.
Enggboy wrote: When I started my first job out of school (Mec. Eng.) in Alberta, I made less than $22/hr. This was in 2006. Now, it was a great job with great coworkers, but the pay was rock bottom (benefits were minimal too).

Everybody flat out REFUSES to believe me when I tell them YES, there are engineers that get paid that little. They are so used to people spouting off Ft. Mac wages, that they don't even consider the possibility that the other HALF of the engineering field may get paid a "teenie" bit less.

And god forbid you were an engineer in SK before the boom, they got paid NOTHING

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/30/12 7:09 p.m.

I got the joke and that this is not a real ad.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
5/30/12 7:35 p.m.

I remember in 2001 applying for a job requiring 7 years experience with Windows 98. I had to point out the mathematical impossibility to several people. They didn't see the problem.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
5/30/12 8:51 p.m.
ransom wrote: I recall hearing about a posting for a Java developer, demanding a minimum of 10 years of Java experience at a point in time when Java had been around for *maybe* five years...

I saw ads like that in 97 when I graduated. Chalked it up to HR people being morons and copy/pasting/editing job reqs from other postings. It's really annoying when job postings are oddly specific in their requirements, and the pay is commensurate with a generalist in the field.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
5/30/12 9:00 p.m.

Hehe, there have been a few different companies around here looking for a Tech Writer over the last 8-10 months.

Want 5+ years experience, editing experience (ie all documents leaving a department run through you first), Bachelor's degree minimum............with a starting pay of $12-15 hour.

lulz

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
5/30/12 9:39 p.m.

I feel like Mechanical Engineering requirements are the opposite of what you see in the OP. Instead of them wanting you to know everything, they have super specialized qualifications:

Knowledge and experience designing injection molded steering wheels used in left hand drive low speed diesel mail delivery trucks driven by women between 35 and 50 years old on Tuesdays north of the Mason Dixon line.

corytate
corytate Dork
5/30/12 9:43 p.m.

kinda brings to mind the posting about a porsche shop in fl looking for an INTERN with something like 5 years of porsche experience and yadayadayada.
LOLZ

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4h8gUMb0IKbXlG7WU7YsB6qvA6wVNfa3mJu4dt8PGsgbX59HINkTH50mGzGGKtzN