WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/23/21 9:06 p.m.

Looks like it's been a while since we've had a thread on this, so who is the current favorites to register a domain, and who is working for small business website hosting?  Nothing major, think basic WP template, maybe a blog kinda thing.

Thanks!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/21 9:45 p.m.

You pay more but I've never been wronged by pair.com.

WonkoTheSane
12/23/21 10:35 p.m.
Stampie said:

You pay more but I've never been wronged by pair.com.

Thanks!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
12/24/21 11:19 a.m.

The Tech guy on the radio talked about Google Domains 

https://domains.google.com/registrar/?hl=en 

its  cheap at $12 a year  with a bunch of features.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/24/21 12:58 p.m.

I've had great luck with Hover for domain registration and hurricane electric for web hosting. They might not be the cheapest options though. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/21 1:21 p.m.

I've been using Hover for domain registrations for quite a few years now and am pretty happy with them. Good customer service the few times I needed it, too.

For hosting, it very much depends on what you need - do you just want a VM to maintain yourself, or do you want, say, hosted WordPress?

BTD
BTD Reader
12/25/21 3:41 a.m.

I hold a number of domains through Google Domains, mostly because it's a really simple setup and integrated into the rest of the Google stuff I use. I don't currently host anything, so I can't speak to that side of things. I doubt it's the cheapest, but it was by far the simplest for me. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/25/21 12:50 p.m.

I have used a bunch of them but I settled on Go Daddy. Very solid and professional, free tech support, and they answer the phone when you call! For this alone they have my undying loyalty. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/25/21 1:55 p.m.

Joker for domain registration

and pair.com for hosting

WonkoTheSane
12/27/21 11:11 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I was going for a hosted WordPress, I didn't want the overhead of maintaining it myself at this point.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/3/22 6:17 p.m.

After trying pair.com for hosting and joker for domain registering just now I think I would recommend using pair for the Domain as well. It's not working well to transfer the domain over, and it's costing me an extra $14 to transfer it.

WonkoTheSane
1/3/22 9:55 p.m.

Good to know.  I'm locked in for 3 years with hover for domain and email, and pair for website hosting.

So far, so good. The only real problem I had was that I had to update my pair.com dns records and manually add the hover email MX record.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/22 7:48 p.m.

Apparently you can't transfer a domain for 60 days after registering it.   Wonko, did you just redirect your domain over to the site you have at pair?

I suck at web development.....  I guess it doesn't help that the last time i made a webpage I was in middle school.

WonkoTheSane
1/4/22 8:43 p.m.

In reply to bgkast :

Yep!  You just direct the DNS (name server) to the appropriate host.

For example, I used hover.com to register my domain (vector-mfg.com) and pair.com to host it.

On pair.com, under the control panel (in this case, WordPress > Manage Domains), I went to manage domains. I told it to add a new domain and it told me the two nameservers to use:

I then took those name servers over to hover.com, and on the control panel, I edited the DNS (pair calls them Name Servers) to point to pair.com:

And about 15 minutes later, https://www.vector-mfg.com was pointing to my server on pair.

Let me know if you need help, I'd be happy to jump on a zoom session with you.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/22 1:20 a.m.

I use Ipower for both registration and hosting. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/22 1:43 p.m.

I think I may have a new favourite for domain reg only - Porkbun. IIRC they only do domain registrations, but they seem to know their stuff and are well priced.

WonkoTheSane
3/10/22 9:13 a.m.

Bringing this back to the top, this time about email.. I'll start a new thread if this one doesn't catch the eye but it seemed appropriate..

When I bought my domain on Hover.com, I got their email package as well.. I didn't realize that limiting it to Imap would mean that my calendar can't sync between desktop outlook and mobile outlook.

Do you guys have any experience with email providers that can give me an Exchange account for my domain?  This is causing me a bunch of extra work as I have to manually add every appointment to my personal google account so it will pop up on my phone..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bcku0C9rOlQW1SP2qIKz2K7D3nGvpAfO9r3YV5tVkTy3U6aZMtxxEZI0n6tCGleF