1 2 3
matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/25/21 5:17 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Some of those can be wrapped up into "setup" fees, but that can be hard to quote beforehand.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
10/25/21 6:56 p.m.

I hate bodywork with a passion, watching my former boss spend hours on panel gaps and guide coats reminded me of how much just a good quality paint job is. 

my car gets terminal rust anywhere I'm just going south to buy a new one. We already did the strut towers because fox body 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
10/27/21 11:41 a.m.

Convertible top mount shoulder bolts for a Fiat Abarth. Car didn't come with them so I had to make them. One hour from taking measurements to test fitting. So....$120 plus materials. Oh and they will need to be chrome plated too so add another $100 or so.

Expensive pair of bolts but we can't assemble the car without them.

Oh yeah, I am looking for another restoration tech if anyone is interested. Eugene Oregon. Good pay plus benefits. I am serious.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
10/27/21 10:05 p.m.

Did you make them to save the car from sitting for a couple days waiting for bolts to come in the mail? That's the only use case for making fasteners I can ever think of. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/27/21 10:40 p.m.

We make hardware all the time. It's just not available.

1/4-24 isn't terribly common.

I have to make two water pipe packing nuts for this 1908 Ford because the old ones are cracked. I made an exhaust pipe nut for it a few months back.

I've spent the last couple days modifying piston pins and making Teflon buttons for the 1908 Ford model S because I don't want the pins to come loose and score the bores again. Engine reassembly was most of yesterday. Today I'm working on setting up the radiator and getting the mesh right on the water pump gear that I made a few months back.

The water pump is in the radiator on these and it's geared to the snout of the crankshaft. 

I've had to make a new water pump shaft and gland nut as well. It's all coming together though.

I just wish the owner would quit breaking his cars faster than I can fix them.

I put everything on my Instagram. If you want to check it out, PM me and I'll send you the link.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jYVGfsCWzBk8P6nRcUouM3vWwwVMIO3CYA5AAv3qJEMIYUs38oS0CEaoVVQkQNgZ