1 2 3 4 ... 7
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/10/22 9:02 a.m.

Stop giving a berk. I don't mean be callous or uncaring, simply care about whats worth it. Get cut off? Berk em. Ill never see that turd again. Polititan X is starting WWIII!!!!. Berk it. There's nothing I could do to stop it. What, me worry?

I'm doing much better about caring about only that which needs caring.

Stop.

Giving.

A.

Berk.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/10/22 9:19 a.m.

People have unrealistic expectations, Microwave generation, Kevin/Karen syndrome, and if you see how parents treat teachers and administrators its learned and okay. Sebastian Maniscalco has a pretty funny joke about the lady bringing a peacock on a plane and how he didn't understand why a family member or friend didn’t pull them aside and slap some sense in them. Honestly we need more friends and family members to talk up, about treating people with respect. I am very vocal about that with my family. On the other side of the coin the service industry needs to be realistic on what they can and can't provide and set realistic rules that can be followed by employees and customers. Simplicity can make the interface much easier. I would also add the legal system is not helping either by rewarding some of the behavior. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/22 11:12 a.m.

face it, there are a lot of garbage humans around.  The problem is they are loud and proud of it.  Most people are decent and caring, they just do not need to bellow it from the rooftops, so you never hear about it.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/22 11:18 a.m.

There are a lot of #1 rules out there, I always thought it was "use more bacon".

But yes, not being a dick would be pretty nice for a change. I heard about the shopping cart test the other day, it a way to measure if you are an a-hole. Returning a shopping cart to the store or stall helps the store, helps protect other cars in the lot and keeps spaces clear. Returning one has no reward, no one knows you do it and there is no punishment for not doing it. Its 100% on the honor system with the only reward being the knowledge that you are helping your fellow man. Its a litmus test: if you always return your shopping cart (or trolly for our UK friends) you are not a dick. If you leave it next to your car and drive away, you are part of the problem.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/22 11:26 a.m.

I've learned some good coping mechanisms. My favorite, "what someone thinks of me is none of my business". I have IG but only follow pages and people who put out positivity and things I'm interested in. 

A lot of people are rude because they are going through the same issues the rest of us are. Anxiety, fear, stress, tired, overworked and overwhelmed. Depending on your mental and emotional health your reaction will be a certain way. I look at people who may not be giving positive vibes as a person who may be working through pain or trauma. I do not see them as an adversary (even if we have opposing views) but I see them as the human that they are allowed to be. We don't know what's going on. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/10/22 11:38 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

There are a lot of #1 rules out there, I always thought it was "use more bacon".

But yes, not being a dick would be pretty nice for a change. I heard about the shopping cart test the other day, it a way to measure if you are an a-hole. Returning a shopping cart to the store or stall helps the store, helps protect other cars in the lot and keeps spaces clear. Returning one has no reward, no one knows you do it and there is no punishment for not doing it. Its 100% on the honor system with the only reward being the knowledge that you are helping your fellow man. Its a litmus test: if you always return your shopping cart (or trolly for our UK friends) you are not a dick. If you leave it next to your car and drive away, you are part of the problem.  

I always thought they paid people to bring shopping carts back. By bringing it back to the store you are actually depriving some poor guy of a job.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/22 11:58 a.m.

I always grab an abandoned shopping cart from the parking lot as I'm walking into the supermarket as it costs me almost nothing and helps prevent door dings.

My epitaph may well read "here lies Rx Reven' the man who loathed door dings".

I kid you not, several moths ago, some steaming piece of human E36 M3 literally pushed a shopping cart out of their way with their beater SUV.  I ran for the cart and caught it less than a second before it would have slammed into a parked car and I got multiple claps from people in the lot. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/10/22 12:06 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

I always thought they paid people to bring shopping carts back. By bringing it back to the store you are actually depriving some poor guy of a job.

I was that guy. That was one of 3 jobs I did at the same time. This was mid 90'snandbthat electric thing to push them didn't exist yet. Rain sucked because you got wet and no one returned them. Snow was worse because you could only get 4-5 carts at a time instead of the 30-40 we'd normally push. It was a terrible job and people were rude as hell. 

thatnis part of my problem. I've spent close to 25 years dealing face to face with the general public. This gives one the sensation that berkeleying people suck. When 75+% of your interaction is with rude angry people trying to screw you over you get a bit jaded. 

but it's nothing compared to the abuse my wife deals with as a special Ed teacher now. It's brutal.  If we don't end up in a fiery ball or under a nuclear winter she will hang up her career and go work a warehouse because she's that fed up. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/10/22 12:23 p.m.
mad_machine said:

face it, there are a lot of garbage humans around.  The problem is they are loud and proud of it.  Most people are decent and caring, they just do not need to bellow it from the rooftops, so you never hear about it.

So when is trash day? The garbage needs to be taken out.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/10/22 12:26 p.m.

While rule #1 does seem obvious on the face of it, it is taught to us from the first day we enter school that "Good Guys Finish Last".

Bullies tend to do well in life

Women prefer bad-boyz

Crime DOES pay or there would not be so many crooks

Religions as a rule teach us that this life is  designed to be torture for good guys, so that they can benefit in the afterlife while the bad guys will be punished. Methinks the bad guys have the inside scoop on this one.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/10/22 12:44 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:
mad_machine said:

So when is trash day? The garbage needs to be taken out.

You should watch Bill Burr's bit about sinking cruise ships. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/10/22 12:52 p.m.

I was wondering the same thing. I divested myself of literally every gaming community I was a part of, yesterday. It's just insane how rude people are. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/22 1:06 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I was that guy. That was one of 3 jobs I did at the same time. This was mid 90'snandbthat electric thing to push them didn't exist yet. Rain sucked because you got wet and no one returned them. Snow was worse because you could only get 4-5 carts at a time instead of the 30-40 we'd normally push. It was a terrible job and people were rude as hell. 

thatnis part of my problem. I've spent close to 25 years dealing face to face with the general public. This gives one the sensation that berkeleying people suck. When 75+% of your interaction is with rude angry people trying to screw you over you get a bit jaded. 

but it's nothing compared to the abuse my wife deals with as a special Ed teacher now. It's brutal.  If we don't end up in a fiery ball or under a nuclear winter she will hang up her career and go work a warehouse because she's that fed up. 

I have a good friend who is a Special Ed teacher's aide. It takes a special kind of person to do that - so please tell your wife thank you, Bob. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/10/22 1:27 p.m.

10 Commandments in 5 words:

Don't be a dick. -God

3/10/22 1:32 p.m.

I think people do have to show more compassion. Gas just doubled in cost. Housing is stupid expensive. Some people won't be hurt at all. Uber and Door dash drivers actually saw their cost of doing business double. A lot of people here in Dallas already spend more that half of their income on rent. Some of us won't be at the autocross this year because of the higher entry fees and and cost of the gas to get there. Some people will be so bad off that they have to decide between filling their gas tank and buying groceries. Some people will be missing credit card payments because their gas bill just doubled.

I talked to somebody today who said, "When I was in Europe last summer we paid $7 a gallon. It still isn't so bad here". I thought to myself, wow, you can actually afford to go to Europe.  

I know somebody who recently stuck a gun in his mouth and ended it all because of student loans, credit card debt, old age and a lack of seeing any kind of future not filled with misery. The last time I mentioned that here, somebody talked about drinking his Chardonnay in California while telling me forgiving student loans is just wrong. Mrs. Snowdoggie has friends who are trust funders who will still be going to expensive restaurants when gas hits $7 a gallon and they will complaint about the service at the expensive restaurants. They still yap about who's dating who and the cost of swimming pool maintenance.

There are a lot of dicks out there. There are also a lot of people who are so stressed out they are just time bombs waiting to go off. It's not a good situation. Times are a whole lot worse now than they used to be for many people. Be careful who you talk to and how you talk to them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/10/22 1:33 p.m.
Driven5 said:

10 Commandments in 7 words:

I am God. Don't be a dick.

And I submit the first 3 words are not necessary.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/10/22 1:43 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Religions as a rule teach us that this life is  designed to be torture for good guys...

I'll politely disagree. Maybe some do, but not all, and not by a long shot. 
Life is not meant to be torture at all. A challenge, yes. Big damn difference. 

3/10/22 1:43 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Wow. At the local WalMart the other day they had five people out in the parking lot shagging carts and two of the electric cart pushers moving a bunch of them at once. One of them was right there to take my cart after I loaded the car. Some places are run better than others. I guess it must suck working for one of the smaller grocery stores where they don't have enough people. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/10/22 3:20 p.m.

As someone who's shoved carts before,  no, no you're not.wink They appreciate the help.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/22 3:22 p.m.

I think people do have to show more compassion. Gas just doubled in cost. Housing is stupid expensive. Some people won't be hurt at all. Uber and Door dash drivers actually saw their cost of doing business double. A lot of people here in Dallas already spend more that half of their income on rent. Some of us won't be at the autocross this year because of the higher entry fees and and cost of the gas to get there. Some people will be so bad off that they have to decide between filling their gas tank and buying groceries. Some people will be missing credit card payments because their gas bill just doubled.

I talked to somebody today who said, "When I was in Europe last summer we paid $7 a gallon. It still isn't so bad here". I thought to myself, wow, you can actually afford to go to Europe.  

I know somebody who recently stuck a gun in his mouth and ended it all because of student loans, credit card debt, old age and a lack of seeing any kind of future not filled with misery. The last time I mentioned that here, somebody talked about drinking his Chardonnay in California while telling me forgiving student loans is just wrong. Mrs. Snowdoggie has friends who are trust funders who will still be going to expensive restaurants when gas hits $7 a gallon and they will complaint about the service at the expensive restaurants. They still yap about who's dating who and the cost of swimming pool maintenance.

There are a lot of dicks out there. There are also a lot of people who are so stressed out they are just time bombs waiting to go off. It's not a good situation. Times are a whole lot worse now than they used to be for many people. Be careful who you talk to and how you talk to them.

Your postings the last few days have been very negative, pessimistic about the future, cynical, depressing and overall low on good vibes.

Are you ok? Would you like to talk? I'm here for you. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/10/22 3:27 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I was wondering the same thing. I divested myself of literally every gaming community I was a part of, yesterday. It's just insane how rude people are. 

Many folks on iRacing, myself included would love to see them up the cost of the service to help get rid of guys who are just there to ruin everyone's day.

I did a race weekend before last. Started from the pits and pulled myself up to 3rd. Lapped guy who has been complaining all race about other's driving, pulls right out in front of me after spinning off the track, I said "You shouldn't complain about others driving if you're going to do the same thing."

That turned into an outright tirade of all kinds of name calling and then purposefully crashing me after the checkered flag (which you still get incident points for some reason). I haven't used the service much at all the last 6-7 weeks because of stuff like that. So glad to see my $6500 setup sit and not be used for the primary purpose I built it for.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/10/22 3:33 p.m.
Appleseed said:

As someone who's shoved carts before,  no, no you're not.wink They appreciate the help.

this. Even with the assist of the electric legs as I call them its a E36 M3 job. I did it at the new (for 1995) Wal-Mart SuperCenter. There were 6 of us that rotated through. We would cover breaks for door greaters, empty trash, fill in on the cash register and make sure both sides had carts. I held the "record" of 110 carts at once. The lot was a gradual downhill slope from the store to the retention ponds so we literally were pushing up hill. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/22 3:48 p.m.
Duke said:
Driven5 said:

10 Commandments in 7 words:

I am God. Don't be a dick.

And I submit the first 3 words are not necessary.

It depends how you read those first three words. If you read them as you're the one in complete control of how you act versus there being an external supernatural entity, they matter quite a bit. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/10/22 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I was at a event this summer where a professor was talking about how worried he was about young men. I was gobsmacked because it's not a popular discussion and reading the room which was not male populated, I was surprised he talked about it. He was concerned about the mental state and that young men graduation at every level are lower then women. He also mentioned that male suicide rate was 3-4 times higher then women. Perhaps the reasoning of why people can't follow the #1 rule is that don't know how to or rather do not have the coping mechanism as mentioned by yupididit  

I disagree with you on the classing difference as I have see both sides of the coin, people with or without money can both be pure evil scumbag and can also be depressed.

3/10/22 5:29 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I was at a event this summer where a professor was talking about how worried he was about young men. I was gobsmacked because it's not a popular discussion and reading the room which was not male populated, I was surprised he talked about it. He was concerned about the mental state and that young men graduation at every level are lower then women. He also mentioned that male suicide rate was 3-4 times higher then women. Perhaps the reasoning of why people can't follow the #1 rule is that don't know how to or rather do not have the coping mechanism as mentioned by yupididit  

I disagree with you on the classing difference as I have see both sides of the coin, people with or without money can both be pure evil scumbag and can also be depressed.

The teenaged son of one of my neighbors, I guy I work on cars with, committed suicide about three weeks ago. That was in addition to the older man who committed suicide over the student loans, and another neighbor who died of Covid and left the house in a body bag. People are dropping dead all around me. I know of another guy in his early 20s who just shut down after Covid. He dropped out of school. He quit his retail job and refuses to look for other work. He stopped paying his bills and is about to lose the room he is living in for not payment. All he does is play computer games all day. He is depressed. Says he has nothing to look forward too. What kind of society have we made where young men have so little to look forward to. It really makes you think. 

The world really has gone insane.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DlYqOHuG1skxIH1nnlkbNnL2ZwcIcezprgrFBUKCgKm1x3S2u7OgPqqKorYvlNfE