1 2 3 4 5
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/19/19 4:01 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

Also I think social media is partially responsible.  Many people, both old and young, have forgotten what it's like to be punched when they ran their mouths.  They immediately throw out insults when they see someone with different politics, religious views, or what have you.  Everything is polarized, everything is someone else's fault, no one thinks for themselves, and people get a tribal mentality.  

Yeah, the days of getting slapped if you step out of line are long gone. I think there needs to be more fist fights. Now it escalates to guns an death. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/19/19 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/19/19 7:10 p.m.
BlindPirate said:

If GarageGorrila wasn't gone he could use this thread to explain himself.

<dies laughing>

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
9/19/19 7:47 p.m.

I don't have time to read all the crap you guys posted, but just want to say, I am the most (only) important person and I take joy in seeing your pain.

Some people are really like that... frown

Edit: I keep wanting to go back and delete this. It's harsh. I don't like to read it. Yet in response to Toyman's post, some people are really just like that. Don't be one.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/20/19 6:00 a.m.

If someone SUED me for using my grill, BET, it would become “deliberate.”

Also, this happened in Australia. You can’t expect an Aussie to put up with that E36 M3.

HARDEN THE berkeley UP, KAREN!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/19 7:53 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Also, it would seem that repeating the rule "don't talk about politics or religion" too much has led society to forget how to have a civil discussion about politics or religion.

This, and not even only restricted to politics or religion these days. It doesn't seem possible that we can have civil discussions about certain topics (with the possible exception of very few places like this forum) at all these days. A lot of them tie back to politics and religion, but I think it's gone way past that.

It's almost like a lot of people are in such an echo chamber that the slightest disagreement with them turns into a mortal insult while being egged on by their "tribe", but the adult tribe that should be in a position to tell them that they're way off the reservation and we all have to live together in the end has gone completely AWOL.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/19 8:18 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

A lot of this became more mainstream when GWB used the whole "if you're not with us, you're against us" after 9/11. I don't feel he meant for that to be as dividing as it's become, and I think he had good intentions of bringing the country together as a whole..... but when carried as far as it has it has just become a huge wedge. 

This whole process of shouting down dissenting opinions is idiotic and will only serve to push us back decades in research, development and furtherment of the whole country and world. Some days I really feel like we're not only encouraging stupidity but we're driving full tilt, WOT at the cliff's edge. 

At this point, I don't care which "tribe" you belong to, you're the problem by blindly following that tribe. Democrat, Republican, antifa, proud boys et al.... they're all a bunch of shiny happy people looking for power and fame. I've never been so disappointed in the american people as I have been the last 5 years watching it spiral out of control. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/19 8:28 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

A lot of this became more mainstream when GWB used the whole "if you're not with us, you're against us" after 9/11. I don't feel he meant for that to be as dividing as it's become, and I think he had good intentions of bringing the country together as a whole..... but when carried as far as it has it has just become a huge wedge. 

This whole process of shouting down dissenting opinions is idiotic and will only serve to push us back decades in research, development and furtherment of the whole country and world. Some days I really feel like we're not only encouraging stupidity but we're driving full tilt, WOT at the cliff's edge. 

At this point, I don't care which "tribe" you belong to, you're the problem by blindly following that tribe. Democrat, Republican, antifa, proud boys et al.... they're all a bunch of shiny happy people looking for power and fame. I've never been so disappointed in the american people as I have been the last 5 years watching it spiral out of control. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
9/20/19 12:09 p.m.
slefain said:

The middle ground has disappeared and everyone has moved to one side, with little interest in compromise.

Truer words were never spoken.

Even my family get-togethers are uncomfortable at times, and they are all the nicest people on earth.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/20/19 12:59 p.m.

Just as an example of the Force Multiplication of social media:

One joke post on social media has resulted in thousands of people gathering and millions of dollars of spent dealing with them (and countless media outlets covering it).

Alien enthusiasts descend on Area 51 for an event that started as a joke

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
9/20/19 3:46 p.m.
Mndsm said:
infinitenexus said:

Also I think social media is partially responsible.  Many people, both old and young, have forgotten what it's like to be punched when they ran their mouths.  They immediately throw out insults when they see someone with different politics, religious views, or what have you.  Everything is polarized, everything is someone else's fault, no one thinks for themselves, and people get a tribal mentality.  

Yeah, the days of getting slapped if you step out of line are long gone. I think there needs to be more fist fights. Now it escalates to guns an death. 

I see it on the bus though.  I have jr high schoolers come on the first days of school running their mouth and acting up. 

I notice the high schoolers quietly speak to them and by the end of the first week the Jr high schoolers are quiet and follow the bus rules. 

Other drivers who don’t carry mixed loads report that their JR high routes really don’t settle down much and we lose a fair number of drivers because of that.  

Peer pressure really works.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/19 8:28 p.m.

Mods can delete or ask me to delete because it has words that we deem bad.  But it is the truth.

When some people believe that they don't need to face responsibility for the way they treat their fellow man, they become shiny happy people.

(post edited to be less patio-y.

Patio sounds like potato, a little, and potato is in pierogie, now I want pierogie)

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/20/19 8:48 p.m.

I blame this guy. Geez. Lighten up Francis.

See what I did there.

And yes I now have to add that to confession. angel

Dylankk225
Dylankk225 New Reader
9/27/19 11:30 a.m.

It is because in this world many bad things always happen and people influence it a lot and that is why many of us try to find a happiness that can last but at the same time it is something super complex that not everyone can easily achieve.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/27/19 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Dylankk225 :

I think it's because of all the canoes we have to sink around here

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/27/19 12:21 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I wondered how many posts he was going to invest before launching the attack.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/27/19 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

didn't even wait for the canoes to splash, had three strikes without even dropping them

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/27/19 2:35 p.m.

Damn the canoes full speed ahead!

Toebra
Toebra Dork
9/27/19 2:43 p.m.

I thought this website was supposed to be apolitical

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/19 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

What politics are you speaking of?

We are discussing A-holes. A similar smelly thing, but one is not the other. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
9/27/19 3:01 p.m.

So in light of this thread I would like to share my experiences from an extended lunch break today, and related thoughts.

Long story short, I left work and walked down to a pub to order some food for an early lunch.  I completely forgot to order it to go and ate it there and decided why not, I'll grab a beer.  I wound up talking to a couple that was about 10 years older than me, close to 50, and the husband came across as kind of a shiny happy person.  At the risk of edging into some semi-political not allowed stuff I'll just say that I'm somewhat reasonably liberal and he seemed like a pretty solid trump train person.  I say that for a reason though: an hour and a half later he had bought me three beers, while pounding mimosas with his wife and we're talking about old racecars and the saturn 5 rocket and how awesome and pure 1960s america awesome that rocket was.  And everything was cool.  There was an old Mexican gentleman between us and the three of us started talking about food from different countries.  The three of us all basically agreed that if we had the money we would all love to travel to every country in the world, sample all their best food and experience their culture.  When we left we all shook hands and thanked each other for the excellent conversation.  I could tell we were different people with different values and different beliefs, but with a bit of alcohol, approaching the conversation with a light heart, and just generally being in a good mood everything was cool.  I even made a few general political statements that everyone agreed on - like I wish our politicians - on both sides - cared more about helping people and our country and cared less about lobbyists and corporations throwing money in their pockets.  Even with different beliefs everything was cool and we all agreed on that.

Now let's imagine that same conversation on social media.  It would have started off with awesome stories of the Porsche 917, and then once I derailed into a general political statement he possibly would have called me a libtard and I would have called him a member of the trump cult or something and we would have argued and hated each other and gone in a rage.  No beers would have been bought, no smiles would have been had beyond the point of car discussion. 

As much as social media is a part of our everyday lives and how many benefits it has, the dynamics of a conversation changes drastically when there's no body language or vocal tone to accompany a person's words.  If I say "man, I can't stand nancy pelosi, I wish she had a spine!" in person then we can all have a discussion that, no matter if you're a republican or democrat, she hasn't been very firm on her own party's values (and I'm just using her as an example for this, please don't derail).  But if I said the same thing online, my republican friends would say something like "yeah all those democrats are traitors and hate america!" and my liberal friends would be say something like "why would you be against" a blah blah blah I don't even know.  something crappy. 

My basic point is, social media makes it incredibly easy to keep in touch with our friends, to learn about new things, etc, and it also makes it really easy to completely misconstrue the meaning behind a person's words. And I think equally importantly, it for some reason makes people say things in a manner they wouldn't in person.  Like generally sensible people just go wild on social media.  Regular old Bob who is easy going suddenly logs onto faceblargh and he's like "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE REPTILIANS RUNNING THIS COUNTRY YOU BUNCH OF CUCKS."  Let's take fictional congressman Bill, for example.  He's a typical congressman, accepts plenty of money from lobbyists, votes on things, and basically refuses to have a spine and actually take a stand and help people and this country.  Regardless of your political affiliation or his, in person I could probably show you news articles about him accepting money from corporations and then voting against related legislation, etc, and regardless of our political affiliation we would all agree he's a bad politician.  But on social media it just breaks down to name calling and a lot of Berk you.  

So my personal thoughts/opinion involves a mixture of things as to why this is happening.  Yes there are shiny happy people in this world.  Always has been, always will be.  But I think everyone is agreeing it has increased by a notable amount.  I have seen political charts of the past 80 years and it shows how politicians used to vote according to their beliefs - republicans voted in favor of liberal bills and vice versa - years ago, and talked to other politicians from the opposite party.  That has steadily decreased, and everything has become more polarized.  Along with that, regular people have become more polarized.  Since around I would say Reagan, it started and then with Bush Jr, things showed a notable change in polarization, and even moreso with Obama, and I think extremely so with Trump.  Now the country is fairly sharply divided.  And we most often deal with each other through social media, which takes away all the subtle social nuances, so whenever someone says something we always assume it's an attack and we E36M3 on them.  I don't know what the solution is.  But it's something I've paid attention to for 15 years or so.  

Now as far as people acting like shiny happy people in person to everyone, that just makes me wish we could punch shiny happy people in the mouth and not catch a charge for it.  But that's a different story.  Please never make me a judge.

Sorry for the novel.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/19 3:55 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Mndsm said:
infinitenexus said:

I see it on the bus though.  I have jr high schoolers come on the first days of school running their mouth and acting up. 

I notice the high schoolers quietly speak to them and by the end of the first week the Jr high schoolers are quiet and follow the bus rules. 

Other drivers who don’t carry mixed loads report that their JR high routes really don’t settle down much and we lose a fair number of drivers because of that.  

Peer pressure really works.  

Works with elephants as well.

http://thesestonewalls.com/gordon-macrae/in-the-absence-of-fathers-a-story-of-elephants-and-men/

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/19 4:32 p.m.

first two posts on this page nailed it, IMHO.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
9/27/19 4:35 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Now let's imagine that same conversation on social media.  It would have started off with awesome stories of the Porsche 917, and then once I derailed into a general political statement he possibly would have called me a libtard and I would have called him a member of the trump cult or something and we would have argued and hated each other and gone in a rage.  No beers would have been bought, no smiles would have been had beyond the point of car discussion. 

Why would you feel the need to drop a "general political statement"? Maybe that’s the issue, some people just want to talk cars. If you feel the need to insert your politics into every conversation, you are the shiny happy person, no matter what "side" you’re on. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
9/27/19 4:50 p.m.

People don’t listen to or understand each other’s perspective anymore. They tend to yell about their own point of view until they drown out whatever you are trying to say. It’s a game of who is the biggest bully. 

Dealing in customer service at times makes me want to sell my business and work for someone else. When someone yells at me, “I’ll call your regional supervisor!” repetitively after I’ve explained I’m the owner of the company makes me want to pull my hair out.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sYv5Ob5tIK1aOym1jUOwTJCiHqRoMfVSwKEMhFLvDiURs1NxP13liflwhbSVi8mC