Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/21 11:15 p.m.

The windshield mounted rear view mirror in the RV is essentially useless. I'd like to replace the mirror assembly with a combination forward-facing dash cam & wireless rear view camera, but I'm not having any luck finding one. Do they not exist?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/30/21 6:03 a.m.

I'm struggling, too- tried a power wired/wireless transmission- but with my older trailer, there's a decent voltage drop.  While the camera was rated to 9v, it would not run at 10.8.  And this past weekend, we tried a wireless/solar pack, and it barely worked every once in a while.  

So if I get an answer from Haloview, theirs is my next try.

Very frustrating.

Edit- got an update from Haloview- even though the camera is rated to 10V, it requires 12v.  So much for that.  Looks like I need to find another solar solution.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/21 7:15 a.m.

I was looking for similar for the excursion because the auto tint rearview mirror is brown. They do exist, but even the $150-200 wired ones all had pretty crap reviews. 

8/30/21 7:29 a.m.

Well that sucks, but thanks for the warnings. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/21 11:18 a.m.

I was elated that I could finally afford a vehicle with a double-din stereo opening.  I bought a rear-view camera and the head unit is on its way (backordered).  Then I have a cheap forward-facing dashcam to record stuff.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
8/30/21 12:11 p.m.

the home security cameras run off a 12v power supply,

would that work and maybe have  better quality video ?

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/30/21 1:15 p.m.
alfadriver said:

I'm struggling, too- tried a power wired/wireless transmission- but with my older trailer, there's a decent voltage drop.  While the camera was rated to 9v, it would not run at 10.8.  And this past weekend, we tried a wireless/solar pack, and it barely worked every once in a while.  

So if I get an answer from Haloview, theirs is my next try.

Very frustrating.

Edit- got an update from Haloview- even though the camera is rated to 10V, it requires 12v.  So much for that.  Looks like I need to find another solar solution.

Maybe try a buck-boost converter at the camera end of things? It will take the 10v input and convert it to 12v output at the cost of increased amps on the 10v end of things. Most have a wide range of acceptable inputs and an adjustable output. Here's one that's $16:

https://smile.amazon.com/DROK-5-5-30V-Adjustable-Regulator-Converter/dp/B07VNDGFT6/

No experience with this unit but it has good reviews. It will take in 3.3v to 30v and output 0.5v to 30v. You adjust the voltage to what you want prior to connecting your load. (Don't skip this step, might fry the camera otherwise.)

8/30/21 10:35 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

So it looks like the Haloview RD10 is 95% of what I'm looking for - I'd prefer a unit that replaces the stock rear view mirror, not straps over it(but I think this would work), and ideally I'd like the option for a 2nd rear view camera(one up top, and one aimed more toward the hitch). Unfortunately they're out of stock with no eta...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D8wu2w1EwijDkK7llNQAjeIaYFLu6hrMdaGySjS2HE2ZXnE55VrpZyrzdWVMIKQm