1 2 3
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/19 5:13 a.m.

I was in a hurry to get Sonoma’s front suspension sweeted up because I’ll be out of commission for a little while. At 7AM today (in about an hour) I’m having carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist. Recovery and physical therapy will take about 8 weeks. Thoughts, prayers, funny stories, etc, greatly appreciated. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/19 5:23 a.m.

Good luck Pat, it will be fine. I hope you practiced using your left hand for things.  It could be an awkward couple days.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/16/19 5:35 a.m.

I knew that fapping would catch up with you.  Good luck my friend.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/16/19 6:06 a.m.

Having just been one armed for a while, it suuuuuuks. I know that's not what you want to hear. Dumb things like having to open doors with the wrong arm, having to carry groceries one armload at a time, just little things, so annoying.  Other than that, proper rehab is important to continued function for many years, so listen to the doctor. 

I'd say to enjoy your time off, but I don't think you have it in you to enjoy more than a handful of downtime days in a row, so good luck. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/19 6:08 a.m.

If I had known that you were needing to get this done I would recommended one of the best in the field who's out of University of Maryland medical. You could've crashed over here, we have rye and a retired service dog. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/16/19 6:12 a.m.

Used to be you'd just get hair on your palms, now people are getting carpal tunnel...  dang.

Now you have to learn to be ambidextrous, yadda, yadda, yadda.  

Good luck, man.  Find a way to voice type for a while, so we can enjoy you being here.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/16/19 6:30 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Will this affect your future hand modeling?  Could you send photos?  

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
12/16/19 7:00 a.m.

Why did the one handed man cross the street?

To get to the Second Hand Store.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/16/19 7:10 a.m.

Is that the same claw that was crushed by a tool box?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/16/19 7:34 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Will this affect your future hand modeling?  Could you send photos?  

I am glad I am not the only one concerned. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/16/19 8:50 a.m.

I had both hands done at the same time and went back to fabricating palletizers (think heavy wall 2x4 steel tubing) after 4 weeks and 2 days.  Still hasnt come back and that was 7 years ago, although i did change careers to something less strenuous 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
12/16/19 9:52 a.m.

Left handed wiping makes you feel incredibly awkward.

As a teenager I broke one shoulder and dislocated the other at the same time.  No functional arms was really crummy for a few days.  Sweatpants are your friend.

AngryCorvair
12/16/19 10:09 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Nope, but I did use the same surgeon.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/19 10:14 a.m.

I hate kicking a man when he's down so I'll wait until you're healed to stay talking E36 M3 again. 

krepost
krepost None
12/16/19 10:50 a.m.

Goodlike man!!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/19 10:54 a.m.

Back when my now wife and I were first dating, a buddy of mine came over to visit and he had his right arm in a sling due to crashing his dirt bike. I looked at him and asked “Tom…can you…(motioned my forearm up and down with a closed fist)”. He played my question perfectly by looking at me sorrowfully and slowly shaking his head no. I said “oh, that’s too bad buddy” but then I noticed the look of shock in my now wife’s face…no brothers, hadn’t dated much, raised in a very proper household; welcome to the jungle.

Anyway, take care AC.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/19 11:45 a.m.

Will you ever be able to play the piano again?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/16/19 1:42 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:

Will you ever be able to play the piano again?

Could he before?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/19 2:01 p.m.

Angry: first and foremost, good luck. I hope all goes well.

Second, Can you describe the symptoms you had. I have been having numbness/ shooting electric shock like you hit your funnybone pain in my hands, and would like details on your experience. Might help some other GRMers along the way. Of course no response is expected until you are given the all's clear for typing.

Again, best wishes.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/16/19 3:56 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

ulner nerve is half of ring finger and pinky, carpal is thumb side of ring finger to pointer, sometimes thumb.  Weakness, tingling, pain, numbness etc.  Kinda like it fell asleep.  The key is the ring finger thing to tell

edit:  just fact checked myself, thumb is more common in most than mine.  Stretch your wrist area by bending your hands back, if it stops or feels better you may have CTS.  I am not a doctor, i repair dialysis machines so take my info with that in mind.  Oh, and i have had the surgery

AngryCorvair
12/16/19 4:09 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

JustJim Pretty much nailed it. I’ve been dealing with it for about a year, And I think I may have some genetic predisposition towards it. My dad had both hands done, and three of my sisters have had theirs done as well. There’s some low hanging fruit there for anyone who wants to make handy jokes.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/19 5:57 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Second, Can you describe the symptoms you had. I have been having numbness/ shooting electric shock like you hit your funnybone pain in my hands, and would like details on your experience. 

Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve_entrapment

I get this sometimes -- doctor suggested topical NSAIDs and sleeping with an elbow brace (stops you from bending your elbow while sleeping).  Seems to work.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
12/16/19 6:18 p.m.

As for stories, there was this one time at band camp...

I hope all went well today Angry!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/16/19 6:30 p.m.

Oops, i misspelled Ulnar.  There are braces for CTS too, that hold your hands back like i described.   If you continue the activity that caused the condition they offer relief, but may only delay the inevitable 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/16/19 6:41 p.m.

Is it the hand that you need to....

...you know!

Heal quickly!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6NCaiQyCNRe2ubEKVZXzO79QIQX6FMDtOOTM9U1GsfsTayXJIr3wfn13juVkOQ3E