Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/18/22 2:30 p.m.

Who watched the final?

That was a heck of a match! After the first half, I was not expecting the kind of action and excitement we ended with! Not sure the last time I watched a soccer match that was that nail-biting.

I was rooting more for Argentina, mostly because France won the last one, and Messi arguably deserved to bring one home after his career. Was really hoping for a good game, and boy did we ever get it.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/22 2:42 p.m.

It was a great game. France managed to make a really tough comeback after getting overwhelmed by Argentina for nearly 60 minutes. Over time was much more even with a few big runs.

Sucks to see it settled in penalty kicks but that is how the game is played, so it has to be planned for.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/22 2:58 p.m.

I watched the whole thing. It was quite stressful.

Having been born in Argentina it goes without saying I am extremely happy :)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/18/22 3:04 p.m.
Slippery said:

Having been born in Argentina it goes without saying I am extremely happy :)

That goalie was the player of the match.

Mbape's second goal was sweeeet though.

Wonder how things are going to be like in the locker rooms at Paris Saint-Germain next practice...

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/18/22 3:12 p.m.

GREAT Final. A lot of fun to watch for a neutral fan. So many chances back and forth. After a very poor first half I suspected France wouldn't surrender.. and they nearly won it at the end of extra time.

The 2022 WC trophy is a great cherry on top of Messi's career. I'm psyched that the GOAT no longer has an asterisk. Argentina fought like hell (and mixed in their usual gamesmanship).

World Cups are also awesome events where we get to see breakout stars. I'm looking forward to 2026. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/22 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Agree on Dibu and the score. 

I doubt it will be a big deal at all at PSG. They are all friends. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/18/22 3:49 p.m.

Pretty insane to have it look like Argentina would win w/o kicks TWICE and France came back.  Too bad on that last call for a PK, but it would have been reviewed as a penalty anyway.  Really amped up the excitement for France to come back and force kicks.  

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/18/22 4:04 p.m.

Fantastic game between two amazing teams.  Argentina just wanted it more.  It's almost painful watching the goalies have the whole game hang over them while they get brutalized.  

johndej
johndej SuperDork
12/18/22 4:13 p.m.

Argentina with Messi finally get the win and leave no questions about GOAT status. Mbappe gets the second ever hat trick in finals and France almost repeats as champs. Martinez plays excellent and keeps the team in through multiple shootouts. Just a great back and forth final.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/18/22 4:58 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I doubt it will be a big deal at all at PSG. They are all friends. 

I would hope they had a friendly wager of a case of Champagne or something.

Katie Wilson
Katie Wilson Advertising Coordinator
12/19/22 3:04 p.m.

The final game was awesome! But did anyone else watch the 3rd place game? What was up with that rep? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/19/22 3:06 p.m.

As a lifelong Brasil fan, couldn't root for Argentina. However, happy for Messi. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/20/22 9:10 a.m.

As an England fan, I was super annoyed Argentina won. But it was a brilliant game. I am beyond bummed that Harry Kane blazed his penalty over in the quarterfinal as England were better then France that whole game but it would hardly be a World Cup without England going out due to penalties in the quarterfinals.

I hate that Qatar had the world cup and it 100% shouldn't have been there but it was a enjoyable world cup to watch. I can't wait until 2026 in the US/Canada/Mexico. I just wish Fox didn't have it. Alexi Lalas makes me want to punch the TV. You would think some one who played as a pro would know more about the game he play. He is the only person in sports commentating that makes Bob Costas (the person not the GRM meaning) bearable.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/20/22 9:21 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

GREAT Final. A lot of fun to watch for a neutral fan. So many chances back and forth. After a very poor first half I suspected France wouldn't surrender.. and they nearly won it at the end of extra time.

The 2022 WC trophy is a great cherry on top of Messi's career. I'm psyched that the GOAT no longer has an asterisk. Argentina fought like hell (and mixed in their usual gamesmanship).

World Cups are also awesome events where we get to see breakout stars. I'm looking forward to 2026. 

All GOAT discussions come with an asterisk regardless. I find the whole discussion of GOAT just the most annoying thing ever. How can you compare Messi with even other attacking players like Ferenc Puskas, Pele or Maradona when so much has changed around the rules of the game, the training of the players and medical treatment? Would Puskas have been an even greater player with modern training and rules? I mean the man scored 619 goals in 618 games at club level. Could Messi have been the player he is in earlier times when he would have been on the end of much more crunching tackles and he wouldn't have had the benefit of horomone treatment he received as a younger player? And why is the GOAT discussion always around an attacking player? Why are great goalies like Buffon, Casillas or Yashin never in that discussion or defenders like Paolo Maldini, Franz Beckenbauer or Bobby Moore?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/20/22 9:56 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Are you going to go to any games?  

Last time the US hosted, we went to game at the Silverdome- Sweden vs someone.  Indoor with real grass....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/20/22 10:00 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Last time the US hosted, we went to game at the Silverdome- Sweden vs someone.  Indoor with real grass....

I am hoping to go to maybe a game in Atlanta but depending on if England makes and where they play I may go there.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/20/22 10:25 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I attended the USA-Switzerland WC match at the Silverdome in 1994 as well.

I have a friend with a corporate box in Atlanta's MB Stadium so I hope to be on the "lucky list".

Curious to see how they solve the natural grass requirement.   

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/22 11:16 a.m.

I loved that messi had a huge smile on his face the entire time, didn't show a hint of frustration with his team or the situation ever. 

I love how soccer seems to be calming down the flopping. It still happens, yes, but the refs are allowing play to continue many times and therefore if you flop all you do is take yourself out of the play (and put your team down a player). Also one of the French guys got a yellow card for a flop in the final. Nice.

I'm incredibly impressed with the quality of referees. There were a lot of close plays and all the calls seemed correct even when you slowed it down on replay. These guys were getting it right in real time. Not easy.

Great game. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/20/22 12:15 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm incredibly impressed with the quality of referees. There were a lot of close plays and all the calls seemed correct even when you slowed it down on replay. These guys were getting it right in real time. Not easy.

The final was well officiated but that was certainly not the case during a lot of other games. Argentina v Dutch, England v France, Portugal v Uruguay stand out to me as really badly officiated games. Argentina 100% should have had a man sent off during their game versus the Dutch and I wonder if they would have won if they had of been down a man.

Tin foil hat theory, FIFA really wanted the final to be Portugal v Argentina ie Ronaldo vs Messi and the refs tried to make it happen.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/20/22 12:58 p.m.

I did not watch any of it because of where it was held

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/20/22 1:07 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

The final was well officiated but that was certainly not the case during a lot of other games. Argentina v Dutch, England v France, Portugal v Uruguay stand out to me as really badly officiated games. Argentina 100% should have had a man sent off during their game versus the Dutch and I wonder if they would have won if they had of been down a man.

Tin foil hat theory, FIFA really wanted the final to be Portugal v Argentina ie Ronaldo vs Messi and the refs tried to make it happen.

Are you suggeting that FIFA would be corrupt and attempt to sway matches?!?!!!1?!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/20/22 3:08 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
93EXCivic said:

Are you suggeting that FIFA would be corrupt and attempt to sway matches?!?!!!1?!

FIFA is probably the most honest organization in the history of the world and never do anything that wasn't completely for the good of the sport.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kJz9BhPFgfqEYxTGSqvisxRXrVpJEkvxoolD6ihxZWPHjijMU5w8ftzGTxN72ZQt