Stuff's all gone now. Thanks!

angusmf
angusmf Reader
10/14/20 9:40 a.m.

---

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/14/20 9:46 a.m.

I would be interested in the header if it doesnt cost too much to ship to 08077. Does it still have the collector on the bottom? 

angusmf
angusmf Reader
10/15/20 8:27 a.m.
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:

I would be interested in the header if it doesnt cost too much to ship to 08077. Does it still have the collector on the bottom? 

Yep, has a 3 bolt flange. Shipping looks to be $80-90, though.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/20 7:39 a.m.

You should post up tge if numbers of the trans. Open dif from a na is not worth muck. Open dif from a 951 worth a bit more. Limited slip from 951 worth a lot more. And one from a S with the trans cooler is almost unobtainable for under challenge car $$$$

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/18/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to angusmf :

Aren't you the guy that had the VW Rabbit? 

angusmf
angusmf Reader
10/18/20 1:40 p.m.
dean1484 said:

You should post up tge if numbers of the trans. Open dif from a na is not worth muck. Open dif from a 951 worth a bit more. Limited slip from 951 worth a lot more. And one from a S with the trans cooler is almost unobtainable for under challenge car $$$$

It's 100% definitely just a base model car, no Turbo, no S. Feel free to educate me on more realistic prices for the parts. They want to be sold.

spitfirebill said:

In reply to angusmf :

Aren't you the guy that had the VW Rabbit? 

I mean, yeah...I had some Rabbits. You mean the blue '75? I sold that sometime early last decade after flat-towing it across the country too many times.

---

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/19/20 4:59 a.m.

In reply to angusmf :

Yup, the blue 75 is the one I was thinking about.  I remember the build thread.

Good luck with your sale.  

Rex
Rex New Reader
10/24/20 1:17 a.m.

I'm interested in the transaxle. Does it have an LSD? Do you know if it's in good shape? Which model was it from? I'm planning to do an engine swap at some point, and would like a beefier transmission than my 83 NA w/o LSD. 

Rex
Rex New Reader
10/24/20 1:20 a.m.

If you have access to the original shell/chassis, you would be able to tell if it had an LSD by checking option code stickers.  Here's a reference: https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/OPTIONCODES.html

I read the post above mentioning that it's from a base model (non-Turbo, non-S), so it's not going to be "beefy" (no LS1 swaps in its future) but if it has an LSD I'm still interested. 

angusmf
angusmf Reader
10/24/20 12:50 p.m.
Rex said:

If you have access to the original shell/chassis, you would be able to tell if it had an LSD by checking option code stickers.  Here's a reference: https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/OPTIONCODES.html

I read the post above mentioning that it's from a base model (non-Turbo, non-S), so it's not going to be "beefy" (no LS1 swaps in its future) but if it has an LSD I'm still interested. 

The transaxle wasn't original to the shell I have, so the only way to get the codes would be thru the PO...maybe. What sort of limited slip is it supposed to be? On the ground, turning the input by hand, this behaves exactly like an open diff. I may have also ruled out torsen by pushing the sole of my shoe against one output while gripping the other with one hand and and turning the input shaft with the other. The output with the least grip (shoe) always won. I'm going to say NO LSD and update the original post.

Rex
Rex New Reader
10/24/20 2:46 p.m.

In reply to angusmf :

Thank you for checking!

According to this thread on Rennlist, if it is in neutral and the wheels spin the same direction it has an LSD. IF it is in gear they will spin the opposite direction whether it is LSD or not. You said you're spinning it by hand so im assuming it wasnt in gear... anyway it would be a clutch type LSD.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/583746-testing-for-lsd-transmission.html

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/20 3:07 p.m.

Use this link to decipher the codes from the transaxle itself:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-04.htm

take the guesswork out of it.

Also it should be noted that the 944S2 trans is just as strong as the 951, with better gearing for 951 autocross use.

A limited slip solves one of the main strength issues of the transaxles.  The other is that a retainer plate is needed to be added to protect the back of the case from flexing and failing.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
10/25/20 9:42 a.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

Use this link to decipher the codes from the transaxle itself:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-04.htm

take the guesswork out of it.

Also it should be noted that the 944S2 trans is just as strong as the 951, with better gearing for 951 autocross use.

A limited slip solves one of the main strength issues of the transaxles.  The other is that a retainer plate is needed to be added to protect the back of the case from flexing and failing.

Ok, nobody needs to lose any further sleep over this now. The code is ASG. So by code and empirical evidence, it's not an LSD. Thanks!

@stephan Is this "missing" retainer plate something that can be purchased and bolted on? Or fabricated? Why does the LSD make the transaxle stronger? Is it like some older VW transaxles that push out their ring gear rivets and eat the case from the inside? The "fix" is to replace with bolts, and most people do a Quaife or something at that time. Is there a succint writeup of this stuff somewhere? If this box is no good to anyone else, I think it might just wind up in the free Baja I just lucked into...

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
10/25/20 10:08 a.m.

In reply to angusmf :

It's fabricated from steel plate and fits on the end between the aluminum case and the cast iron end housing.  There were people selling them for the GT40 and Lambo replicas that were using them behind V8s and V12s, but many have moved on to using newer Audi transaxles from Boxsters and the like.

I have the cad files and installation PDF, if you're interested.  I think SendCutSend would make them for about $30.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
10/26/20 11:13 a.m.

In reply to angusmf :

I have the cad files and installation PDF, if you're interested.  I think SendCutSend would make them for about $30.

Absolutely! Thanks! Share them with me on google drive @ angusmf or whatever works for ya.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
10/31/20 8:30 a.m.

Updated prices!

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
10/31/20 11:32 a.m.
angusmf said:

Yep, has a 3 bolt flange. Shipping looks to be $80-90, though.

Is that through USPS? If its not too much trouble and there is a UPS near you that might be a little cheaper. Is paypal or venmo OK? 

angusmf
angusmf Reader
10/31/20 11:45 a.m.

In reply to TR7 (Forum Supporter) :

I compared prices between Fedex, UPS and USPS and that was the cheapest. I don't actually recall which of them won, but probably it was UPS. Paypal works, Venmo probably also. Send me a PM.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
10/31/20 12:24 p.m.
angusmf said:

In reply to TR7 (Forum Supporter) :

I compared prices between Fedex, UPS and USPS and that was the cheapest. I don't actually recall which of them won, but probably it was UPS. Paypal works, Venmo probably also. Send me a PM.

PM sent.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
11/2/20 7:58 a.m.

PM sent.

It went to my spam folder first, but I replied to you.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
11/2/20 2:00 p.m.
angusmf said:

In reply to angusmf :

Absolutely! Thanks! Share them with me on google drive @ angusmf or whatever works for ya.

Done.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nz60FME9reZypWuASbPy6bSDUkbK2MJjzgn0CEpSIwzWGXGmTGBw1cOqyBynEmdc