ekauppi7
ekauppi7 New Reader
11/28/22 9:21 p.m.

This is a big well built flow bench.  I bought it for flow testing non-automotive parts back in 2013 and we no longer need it.  I'd be happy to see it go back into the racing world.  Price is very negotiable.

It has the orifice plates (two different ones for different flow ranges) and differential pressure taps for flow measurement, but it no longer has the sensors, electronics, computer.  It was built to use the Audie Quick Flow setup, and you could buy the new version of that or something similar.  The hard work of building the big box of fans, and plumbing and sealing it, is done for you.

Old emails from when we bought the unit from the builder say:

"It's capable of 1200cfm @ 28", and repeatable to +/- 1%.  We used to specialize in high end racing engines, but have gone other directions and this unit is actually for sale ($3k) if you are interested..."

and... "The flow bench is a custom build, but at a fairly professional level. It has six vacuum motors in it that you can turn on two at a time. There's an air gate to reverse flow direction. It's set up with Audie Flow Quik hardware and software running on a Sony Viao laptop. It's got an aluminum fixture plate with a 6" flow port with four 5/16-18 tapped holes on 6" centers around it, but we have a few adapters and a riser that bolt on over it.

The software stores data points on a graph whenever you press the remote button, but there is also a digital readout. There are four different settings for vacuum depression. I also have a smaller pitot tube that gives more consistent results at low flow volume (under 100cfm@28") The software is nothing short of amazing. It's the fastest, most reliable system I've used for any $ level."

I have since re-wired the bench so the six motors are individually controllable giving six different flow rates, and it runs from 220VAC.  It could be easily changed back to 110V but it will blow your 15A breaker if you turn all the motors on.

You can reach me here, or faster on 734 six four five 4111, text or voice.  We need to get it out of the shop but this is not a rush situation.

ekauppi7
ekauppi7 New Reader
12/4/22 11:16 p.m.

Photos of the beast are here:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Temp-For-sale/i-L35Cvq5/0/6d6052a1/X2/FlowBench01-X2.png

https://photos.smugmug.com/Temp-For-sale/i-5p8v7Vt/0/0633c37c/X2/Flowbench02-X2.png

The box of six big industrial fans is one one end, and the plenum is on the other end with the hole in the top that goes to the head or whatever you are flow testing.  The section in the middle is the PVC pipe with the calibrated orifice for measuring the delta p and therefore the flow.  AFAIK this all works and is complete.

No interest?  Does nobody do their own flow work these days? 

This could be had very cheaply.  I just hate to scrap it when it is such a useful tool and so expensive to buy any other way.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 5:06 p.m.

If you were closer, I'd be all over it. 

ekauppi7
ekauppi7 New Reader
12/10/22 5:30 a.m.

Yes. Its such a cool tool. I might be able to arrange delivery to some places but you are in the wrong direction. Anybody going East? 

I'm  on motorcycle groups where the transportation relay is a thing, do folks do that here?

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/10/22 11:40 a.m.
ekauppi7 said:

I'm  on motorcycle groups where the transportation relay is a thing, do folks do that here?

Yes, the GRM Express makes a few deliveries a year. It's definitely an option.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KQtQimXzMSGkJ4DNI9vqOiQlmv6UbB8Aq5qQCopaVRcPBCmwLisCHsR2SHvTIg1u