Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/11/21 7:37 p.m.

Seeking help.

Background:   Last Saturday the daughter called and said her 2011 Odessey dash was telling her that the system was not charging, and OBTW it was hard to steer.   I told her on the phone she had thrown the serpentine belt and don't drive it.   I drove over, opened the hood and sure enough the belt was off.   But... also the alternator brackets were bent so the alternator was at a 30 degree off center.  Like the belt had yanked the alternator towards the rear of the vehicle.

I immediately said,  "Your A/C compressor must have frozen."   Daughter replied, "How can that be?  We spent $2,000 on a new compressor and clutch 4 months ago at the Honda dealer!"

So... I said,  "Take it back to the dealer, its under warranty."

She did.   Ooops.

Dealer said compressor is not frozen and it will take $3,800. to fix it.  This from service rep, daughter not allowed to talk to mechanic.   (daughter probably more knowledgable than rep...)

So far they haven't told her what the $3,800 would pay for.   She is still waiting on that request.

So here is my question...  If you don't start the engine, how can you tell the compressor is not frozen?  Seems that's what they did.

With the ignition off, the compressor clutch would just free-wheel.  Right?

My question:   Could you start the engine, without the belt, turn on the air with thermostat real low so clutch would engage, and then try to turn compressor to see if it seized?  Or am I out to lunch?

Thanks in advance for any help.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/21 8:26 p.m.

I'd search over on Odyclub.com, there are a bunch of A/C threads on there that should point you in the right direction. A/C clutches are a common issue, so you should get some good troubleshooting info there.

I agree that it sounds suspicious with the dealer doing work shortly before the issue happened, especially as the alternator is right on top of the A/C compressor.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/21 8:37 p.m.

You can probably trigger the clutch via the relay. But I am sure the dealership can trigger the clutch via a computer using ISIS. 

I am pretty sure I can trigger the clutch on my BMW with INPA (bmw software). 

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/19/21 10:45 p.m.

Any update??

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cn5mLI1d2oqjg1zsgttwTPql2G2L4mKKp0Nrdp2TGmTgzX9nSjzBhQgxwc079I2j