1 2 3
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/13/22 2:54 p.m.

My living situation is interesting. I live in 2 houses in the same city (blame it on the cars), and have a farm far away. 

15 years ago I did a excellent expoxy on my floor and closets. It was called Muscle Gloss. Unlike most people it never came off, and excellent epoxy.

Here is a photo of that garage:

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/13/22 2:58 p.m.

well fast forward blah blah..that house is a rental, and added another place 3 years ago which is a 3 car tandem garage.  I had some old costco floor tiling I threw on the concrete and added some ugly costco shelves (I got for free). 

The house was a old Hollywood production guy's, and he had all these production equipment (never parked inside) and all these funky shaped cabinets. 

We made do with everything for a few years

Talked to GRM member AnthonyGS last week - who convinved me Polyurea Garage Floor Coating is the way to go. Well lots of late night texts with them, that has been ordered. 

One thing leads to another:

1) lets get rid of all costco junk storage. 

2) Lets get rid of all the old ugly cabinets.

3) lets paint the cabinets we will keep (most uniform shape) - white color 

4) lets order new cabinets. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/13/22 2:59 p.m.

BEFORE 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/13/22 3:01 p.m.

take off cabinets on right side and start painting face to white

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/13/22 3:05 p.m.

Ended up ordering floor coating from Colorado company anthony recommended. It will be here Tuesday. Will start flooring on Wednesday. 

In the meantime, today want to hang all the painted cabinets. And start taking off as much as old cabinets as possible, to get the floors ready.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/13/22 3:17 p.m.

Closet goals:

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/22 3:58 p.m.

That's a lot of storage.  And to think my wife is always talking about getting rid of stuff to less clutter the garage.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/13/22 4:09 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

That's a lot of storage.  And to think my wife is always talking about getting rid of stuff to less clutter the garage.  

I don't need any of the storage to be honest. I literally need one shelf, for detailing and one for tools.  But the woman has too much stuff.  Given I park 3 cars and 2 bikes inside the garage, and most of my friends, their wives have taken over the garage - I am counting myself lucky :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/13/22 6:48 p.m.

all the wood painted 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/13/22 8:12 p.m.

I feel like after being outed, AGS needs an official enables badge or something.  Regardless great work!

Rramirez
Rramirez New Reader
10/13/22 8:17 p.m.

Looks like an awesome project. I'm building a three car garage currently and looking into floor coatings. Mind sharing what you are going to use?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/13/22 8:21 p.m.

I think I would have taken all the funky slats off the doors, for a plain look. But the do look a bit better on white, for an over all clean look. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/22 9:42 a.m.

I like the plans and looks so far.  I used polyurea from garage flooring LLC in Co.  I think mrelise also contacted them.  I've used them twice and was happy both times.  

If you are doing your own garage floor, backrolling is key!  I didn't do a good job on this the first time.  On the 2nd time I missed a few spots before I got my wife's help.  She spent Mother's Day helping me with my project.....  I think next Mother's Day I will need to go all out. 

Kind of a closeup of the floor.  I like the flake, but I tend to go lighter with it.  One can use as much as they want or none.  I find it helps spot spills, dropped nuts and 10mm sockets that went astray.

And there is a nice chunk of  debris there.  See how it stands out?  You can see what's on your garage floor so much better.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/14/22 12:38 p.m.
johndej said:

I feel like after being outed, AGS needs an official enables badge or something.  Regardless great work!

Yes he does! My coke dealer makes me spend less $ than AGS does!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/14/22 12:40 p.m.
03Panther said:

I think I would have taken all the funky slats off the doors, for a plain look. But the do look a bit better on white, for an over all clean look. 

Initial plan was to take all the slats off. Then thought lets paint it white and see how it looks keeping the slats there. I think it didn't turn out that bad. So they are staying for now. I will live with it a few weeks, and if it doesn't agree, will take them off. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/14/22 12:42 p.m.
Rramirez said:

Looks like an awesome project. I'm building a three car garage currently and looking into floor coatings. Mind sharing what you are going to use?

polyurea as AGS suggested. I personally like a gloss no flake look (like my old house), but wife says that looks like a painted wall with no depth (SIGH - that is what I wanted). 

Oh well, going flakes this time - black and white. Here is supposed to be end product. 

Cleaning and prepping floors all weekend. Hope to lay it down Wed/Thurs

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/22 1:10 p.m.

That's a heavy flake pattern or "full broadcast" in industry terms.  I like the colors, but use the amount you like most.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/14/22 3:06 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

might as well go all out LOL 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/14/22 6:57 p.m.

I've heard the issue with flakes, is finding dropped hardware. Enough to prevent me from trying it, could I afford it. 
Might be enough to convince your wife. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/14/22 7:16 p.m.
03Panther said:

I've heard the issue with flakes, is finding dropped hardware. Enough to prevent me from trying it, could I afford it. 

I prefer solid, she prefers flakes.  Most of our wives in CA, seem to take up all garage, and people park on driveway.  I park inside garage, always have always will.  I won for 17 years, with one color. Time for wife to win I suppose. 

I am old. Idon't care anymore. But I want my cars inside. 

Gotta pick the battles these days in advanced age

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/14/22 8:21 p.m.

Happy wife, happy life!

Sometimes a good reason can help, sometimes....

I like the looks of flakes myself, so if our attached (carport) ever gets concrete, we would agree on looks over function, due to primarily parking laugh

But the detached? Too much dropsies. 
Moot point for me, probably. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/14/22 11:05 p.m.

happy mistress = happy life. 

cant afford it though 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/22 11:27 p.m.
03Panther said:

In my experience light flakes make things out of place pop.  I'm able to locate my errant 10mm sockets and hardware.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/15/22 12:12 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I sold my GSR sedan on this forum. Year and half later got a text last week from grm owner 8 states away: taillight was leaking. I changed gasket. Found your 10mm socket inside. Which is why it was leaking 

No kidding. True story

I had swapped the jdm to usdm tails and left my socket in therr 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/15/22 12:19 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
03Panther said:

In my experience light flakes make things out of place pop.  I'm able to locate my errant 10mm sockets and hardware.  

That's a different take than I've heard, but makes sense! Food for thought. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9dp203r4ChJYxqdHDEGvzrPTGrL6hRerCJhI4EZKE8K3WK96thZjr7ArUTnzvdKn