The
The Dork
10/12/22 3:41 p.m.

I am building a new garage in Pensacola Fl, any opinions would be great.

Budget in the neighborhood of 25k for site prep, concrete and insulated shell.

Metal Heavy duty 26 gauge roof and wall sheeting

Size 20' wide 30' long Ceiling height 10' (a 600 sq ft build requires no building permits in my county)

Ceiling height ? I would like to be able to put my camper in it but not a big deal.

Roll up door (with windows I hope) on front end 16'?  Iam told this is the widest you do on a 20' wall.

Walk door, 2, 3' one on right side towards the front, one on the back wall

Windows depending on price

Insulated walls and ceiling 

EverSafe Buildings will deliver, construct and insulate this building on my slab for 14k (no windows)

I am trying to get a concrete contractor to give me some numbers but they are very busy.

Things I can do. electrical, interior finish, concrete seal, plumbing, lighting etc.....

site photo

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/12/22 4:18 p.m.

I did 24 x 40. "Standard" price height was 6' (Uh, no). I pad extra for 9' side walls. Decided to not pay any more for taller, due to plans for a larger red metal building. 
Since that will never happen, then would have been the time to pay for 12' side walls. 
TLDR: highly recommend 12' ILO 10. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/12/22 4:47 p.m.

Cant help with your project but its nice to see you posting!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/12/22 4:53 p.m.

Is you area subject to flooding?  If so, is raising the slab a couple of feet an option?

Definitely as tall as code and budget will allow = room for a Big Ass Fan.   

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/12/22 5:17 p.m.

Tall so you can have a Loft , Pallet racks on one side ,  

I put pieces of chain  in the corners so I could winch stuff around the yard ,  maybe something more fancy like they use in body shops !

Thicker concrete if you are thinking of a hoist.

put in water , sewage for toilet and washer /dryer even if you do not hook it all up now .

Those are things I would look at , I live at a place thats 70-80F  most of the year so heating / Airco is not something I looked at.....

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/12/22 7:20 p.m.

Build it bigger. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/12/22 7:34 p.m.

I know you're working within a budget but do not be afraid of the permitting process. I did it myself when building the garage at my old house and it was pretty easy and relatively cheap.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/12/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Agree with 100%!

Great advise. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/12/22 7:39 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I too, was thinking bigger would probably be worth the permit process, finances available. 
Have never had to (or didn't blush) permit anything.  So ymmv!!!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/12/22 8:23 p.m.

Electrical:

2x-3x more than you will think you will ever use ,

Plugs and boxes for EV charger , 440v if they will let you , also can use for welder or Bridgeport

Natural lighting and LED 8 foot bulbs 

Waterproof plugs on the outside walls  

Air compressor outside the main building , with sand blast area,

Solar water heating and solar electric, at least have the plumbing and electric installed , you can add panels later , and maybe get it for free from the Electric company or State.

Hey this is fun spending other people's money :)

I have spent enough of my own !

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/12/22 10:25 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I miss living in a warehouse with 3 phase power. Kinda cool having a Bridgeport, lathe, and a reach forklift in my living room!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/12/22 10:31 p.m.

I built a 24x30 a few years ago and chronicled it in a series of articles:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/project-backyard-shop-planning-building/

Six years later and there isn't much I would change. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/13/22 12:33 p.m.

Thanks for the link, Tom!

I'm watching this thread with interest. My nicely sized shed is currently in rough shape, so I've been considering upgrading to a garage with a second story. However, I'm not sure how the City will like that, especially since I'm under historic zoning jurisdiction (I am allowed a carriage house) and I don't have a lot of land to play with. Living in an urban area has benefits, but space, unfortunately, isn't one of them.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/22 12:44 p.m.

Can you put the walls up on blocks to give you extra height?

Drain in the floor or grate outside the garage door to divert rain away from the interior floor.

Multiple 220v outlets. As many standard outlets as possible.

Switched outlets on the ceilings for lights that plug in.

Ceiling fan ready.

Coat your floor before anything goes in.  I wish I had just done mine when the house was new.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/13/22 10:19 p.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

As a teen, I helped my dad build a detached shop. One block, and then 8' walls. 2x4 studs. 
Always fought that block being inset some at the bottom of the wall. 
Metal frame buildings are super easy to buy more sidewall height. I would guess way cheaper than block, for the same height. 
If not cheaper, I'd still pay a bit more. 

The rest is spot on!

I couldn't wait for cure time before  coating. But had plans I could do later. Didn't happen. Maybe  whoever gets it after I die will. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/22 9:48 a.m.

My old garage was 20x20.  My new garage is 32 x 22.  That extra 2' all around is incredible.  Being able to easily walk around the cars is ideal.  I'd go 24 x 32 or 34 if I were you.  Go see and measure other garages too.  10x20 is the standard single car size.  Having extra clearance on the sides and front allows for tons of storage, work carts, work benches, and you don't have to move cars to use them.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/14/22 9:54 a.m.

Whatever you think will be enough, add 20%. Seriously. I jus KNEW tha 25x35 would be all the garage I'd ever need. I was wrong. WAY wrong.

rothwem
rothwem Reader
10/20/22 10:44 a.m.

$25k is nowhere near enough budget for what you're suggesting.  Im in about $50k for a non-insulated tuffshed shell of similar size (24x28) on a slab and I'm not even done yet.  I'm not really even sure if 25k is possible in just materials.  

Also, 20' width is going to be tight, not sure how many cars you're going to put in it.  

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects New Reader
10/31/22 11:45 a.m.

I've never known anyone to complain that:

They built the shop too large

They had too much lighting

They had too many outlets (or power phases)

They built too tall

They added a bathroom

The floor was too easy to clean

They had too many doors

They built too soon (unless it kept them from building what they wanted)

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
11/2/22 3:16 p.m.

Oh, boy.....so much to plan for.

Already many good points.  

Always ask yourself if a given decision needs to be changed in the future, how can you prime yourself to make it possible or easier.

Eg.   Bury pipes or sleeves or conduit now.   Fill them later if/when.   Air, water, electric, dwv, ventilation (as in air to air heat exchanger), internet hookup, outlet/space for electric garage door opener, speaker wires.  Power and air outside wall(s).

Connections to outbuilding in the future.

Outside sink/ precleaning area.  Drain. Gravel base so you don't Wade in mud.

Outside shower.  Your wife will thank me.

COMPRESSOR  shed outside.  Condensate drain.

3/4 conduit and 4 in Sq boxes for all electric.

Overhead air lines.   Pull down hoses.

Ditto electric, gas welding.

Hot water...inside and out.  Tankless heater.

Plan for concrete area outside main door when budget allows.

Minisplit hvac heat pump.  Pad. Wiring. Condensate drain.  Cheap and DIY.

Outside rack for painting parts.  Mine hangs under deck above. YMMV.

Parts storage shed outside.  Workshop is for WORKING.  The floor is not a shelf.

Later....everything but Lathe and mill with their own wheels...or on a pallet.   Use pallet Jack to easily rearrange as needed.  Remember all those outlets, lights, air on the ceiling?

The floor is not a shelf.  Yes, I know I already said that.

Curtain rod to block off clean and dirty areas...grinding, painting, clean assembly.

I'd be happy to chat if you have any questions or ideas.  I've helped design shops for 3 friends as well as my own.

919 697 1303.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cx1CoNvlayNDDOlavDnkSbm7aXzhsz0rBuG4esJgXtF4fzYODjK3ZGHm58TxjMcT