garethashenden
garethashenden New Reader
4/12/22 7:42 p.m.

I'm about to embark on rebuilding the carbs on a friend's motorcycle. I have a small ultrasonic cleaner that will fit a whole carb in it. The plan is to put the whole thing in, and then do it again once its disassembled. But I have no idea what the best fluid to use is. What would you recommend? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/22 8:39 p.m.

Gasoline works great.  I usually put the gas in a gallon paint can, then fill the outside with water.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/12/22 9:21 p.m.

Honestly I just use water, heated as hot as you can get it. Disassemble down to small enough parts to fit and hit them as hard as you can. 

I find that you need to use compressed air to blow out the all the holes and then drop them in again. Then repeat until the water stays clean after a five minute cleaning cycle. 

I have never gotten a carburetor as clean as I can with the sonicator. I will not do it any other way now. 

I have tried a medical cell pulverizor sonicator once in the past and that was amazing. One cleaning was all it took and it stippled everything out of that carb. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/12/22 10:25 p.m.

I did a lot of checking into this years ago.  I've forgotten a lot of it but prevailing wisdom was not to use a solvent (though, I bet it would work well).  You want something safe for aluminum which presents a challenge.  

I believe I decided that thinned-down Simple Green was a good choice that was safe for aluminum and was able to be easily disposed of.  Please verify both of those things as I may be remembering wrong.

I was really looking for something I could safely pour down a drain when I was done.  That may not be a concern for everyone.

cabbagecop
cabbagecop Reader
4/13/22 6:26 p.m.

I use Extreme Simple Green for aircraft and water  in my ultrasonic and have had good results so far. I agree that the hotter the better for cleaning. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/22 7:34 p.m.

Simple Green can damage aluminum, but it will take a while. https://simplegreen.com/faqs/15/

Stay the hell away from Purple Power, that stuff takes no time at all to damage Al

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/13/22 9:07 p.m.

There was a product called "Alconox" that sent me some samples of their aluminum-safe cleaner.  If I was doing it regularly or commercially I would likely lean toward that.  I'm not sure if it's available outside of industrial outlets/quantities.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/24/22 5:10 p.m.
wheelrush0 said:

Ultrasonic cleaner is best way to remove crab but using a best solution is also important, i found best ultrasonic solution form this post, I think it can help you also. Read Here

First post on this board and a shady link included. Feels like one of those little boat things. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/24/22 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

*cough* canoe *cough*

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/24/22 8:57 p.m.

Since many carbs are made from zinc die cast , do you use the same cleaning solutions when you ultrasonic clean them as you would with aluminum?

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/24/22 9:28 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Since many carbs are made from zinc die cast , do you use the same cleaning solutions when you ultrasonic clean them as you would with aluminum?

I do. I have a very powerful ultrasonic cleaner and I use greatly diluted Simple Green on bad carburetors. The results are stunning.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7oASOTFps7xZNZB6vx5cwzYjwUJ8VTInuWdG0c9g6FWbhL0Q4TYZMUIhZfps9I3R