bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/16/21 9:59 a.m.

Broke the battery on my 20V Dewalt impact. Still works, just taped together. The battery I have isnt made anymore, and the replacement is $90 for one. I see all these off-brand batteries for half the price. Anyone tried them? I don't want to throw away money on junk if they are just that. But if I can get 75% of the usage for half the price I'll do that. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
2/16/21 11:33 a.m.

I have a  few from Amazon , they work Ok ,  no idea how long compared to "real Dewalt"  because I never had a fresh real one to compare , 

I have then in the older 18v dewalt drills and sawsall , 

I would  check on how long the replacement time is if they fail to hold a charge , 

There are some Youtube videos that take them apart ,  you might look  there , 

Good luck

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/16/21 11:42 a.m.

Cliffs notes:  Real Dewalt battery has approx 10x the energy.

That said, I was super skeptical of getting an off brand replacement for my Dyson, which uses the same damn cells as Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc.  but is $130.  I bought the $50 off brand and it. is. amazing.  Its possible I am just amazed because the one it replaced was such E36 M3.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/16/21 11:47 a.m.

The one I have is the original from 3 or 4 years ago. It still works good, just broke the case. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/27/21 8:00 p.m.

That was incredible.

And Bobzilla.  Buy an aftermarket battery, run it into the ground and then put the factory battery parts in the aftermarket case and go again.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/27/21 9:15 p.m.

JB Weld.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/21 10:01 p.m.

Stanley Tools owns DeWalt and a bunch of others. I use DeWalt batteries in my Mac ratchet. I don't know how the prices break down, but maybe you can find a more affordable battery option within the family. 

amerson
amerson New Reader
8/18/21 1:53 a.m.

Got my replacement batt from maxedbuy and I'm very pleased so far.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
8/18/21 1:56 a.m.
noddaz said:

That was incredible.

And Bobzilla.  Buy an aftermarket battery, run it into the ground and then put the factory battery parts in the aftermarket case and go again.

What he said!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/21 6:08 a.m.

I haven't found that the rebuilt or aftermarket batteries (tried both) were comparable to original for my dewalt 18 volt drill. 

evildky
evildky SuperDork
10/13/21 4:34 p.m.

I have a pile of Dewalt Batteries and a pile of off brand amazon replacements, I couldn't tell you a difference, I use them interchangeably without care.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/21 3:23 p.m.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PYTRW65/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered these last year.  One got submerged in water when I left it outsidein a rainstorm; something tripped internally and I haven't taken it apart to figure out what's wrong.  The other one is chugging along marvelously on some pretty heavy use.  Definitely a lot longer runtime than the 3.0 Ah DeWalt batteries I already had.

Southpaw
Southpaw New Reader
1/9/22 7:17 p.m.

I bought these lithium batteries on Amazon for my 18V DeWalt tools and have been happy with them:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819RHXP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_Q5GWZV0AHSRTMHVXXWP0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/10/22 9:51 a.m.

Do you any other brand cordless tools? I have 90% makita stuff and my mother bought me a dewalt 20v sawzall that just never got used because it came with the smallest battery they offer. I picked up a battery adapter off amazon for around $15. Now I can slap my makita batteries on the dewalt.

Berck
Berck New Reader
1/11/22 7:58 p.m.

I'm too skittish to buy the off-brand ones, but I will mention that you can probably get away with a much smaller battery than you might think.  I run my Dewalt 1/2" impact with a 2ah battery, and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy the 1.5ah battery.  The 2ah lasts all weekend at the racetrack or in the garage, and I have a spare ready to go.  Less weight and more frequent recharges is absolutely the right tradeoff here.  And the 1.5ah genuine Dewalt is $37 on Amazon, or $44 for the 2ah....

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
1/12/22 3:57 p.m.

You'll probably find that the off-brand batteries weight half as much. They suck and they don't last long.

I have an older 18 volt DeWalt that I gutted the battery and put 10' leads with battery clamps on it. I keep it on our boat and I can just connect to the starting batteries and go. It just runs a little slower. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/12/22 4:18 p.m.

So to update this..... inlaws were in town, wife and I drug the to Lowes one evening and they had a 5-pc tool set with 2 batteries and another charger for $249. So I have a new drill, light, sander, rotary tool and 1/4" impact thingy. Basically for $100 more than 2 new batteries I got 5 new tools. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u73dT2x9RZBqw93GbGqplJKCtx0nhqUVvCwoXWFafNUlJB8jZGH3dwLmsVHOo2n5