Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
8/11/22 8:35 a.m.

Maybe really scratch built car dreaming.

Twitter calls this little guy a Wuling Mini.  I like the motor placement and the potential flexibility it allows for battery placement under a Locost chassis.  Are there any inherent problems with this motor layout that a lay person wouldn't think about?  I'm guessing this is a cheap car and a complete rear assembly's pretty cheap as well.  Locost, even.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/11/22 9:11 a.m.

Hah, I think you posted on the facebook locost group too and I responded there.  

That is likely similar to a forklift motor, looking at the wikipedia entry, its only about 40hp.  Granted, the battery pack has a *claimed* 170 mile range.  

Getting a whole car from china probably isnt worth it from a cost perspective, the only real part that seems to stand out is the 90* fixture from motor to axle. I would bet you can find more effective motor options stateside sourcing parts from a hybrid or cheaper EV (Leaf?) and engineer a solution for input into a rear end with a desirable gear ratio or parts availability.  Same with battery packs. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
8/11/22 9:39 a.m.

Here's a 2021 video of a more current model.  Starting at 3:00 it looks like the current models are FWD.  I still kinda like it...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q4KWkqBfZFAYlG6fC0XH6Rln3wVFZsyW70H9Uh1lQ4AH0OWkzWPX4RqX3M6w5eZx