1 2 3
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/20/22 4:25 p.m.

I have been running out of tool storage space for a while, and part of it, I think is lack of efficient storage.  I have a rolling toolbox, and recently acquired a tool cart.  The rolling box has sockets in drawers with combo wrenches and other items, sorted into metric and SAE, and another drawer that has impact sockets along with other stuff.  I've been storing power tools (and a bunch of junk from a current project) in the top of the tool cart.  I am thinking if I moved various sockets into the top of the cart, and stored them vertically, that frees up some space in the rolling box for some more specialty tools.

Anyone have preferred methods for storing sockets?  Most of mine are on rails, but I don't think they'll sit vertically well.  However, I do like the rails, as they are convenient if I need to grab a specific set and take them to the junkyard or somewhere else.  I've seen the socket holders that hold them vertically, and have the size marked on the top of the post.  Any opinions on those?  Maybe I get those, and then keep a few empty rails around to move sockets to if I need them outside of the garage?  Any other ideas on how to store them efficiently, including specialty ones, like spark plug and O2 sensor sockets?

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/22 5:17 p.m.

I'm a big fan of sockets and ratchets being in the top of the rolling cart. Along with a small amount of various hand tools and commonly used wrenches. Ideally, basic maintenance jobs require me to simply pull the cart along with me, not go rooting in either chest for stuff. Rails and vertical socket storage are the bees knees, bordering on being a requirement for my shop tools. 

Does your cart have drawers? 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/20/22 5:25 p.m.
birdmayne said:

Does your cart have drawers? 

Yeah, it's the current generation HF 5 drawer cart.  I mostly have some duplicate and specialty tools in the drawers right now, and have other, less often used power tools in the large drawer.  The bottom open area mostly holds more specialty tools that are in blow molded cases.  Right now, the tool box and tool cart are close enough that they are both as convenient to grab something from, but it might be good to move my "nicer" tools over to the cart, at least the ones I use more often.

Edit - your comment about having some various frequently used tools in the top of the tool cart makes sense.  I'll have to get over my need to try to categorize everything into its own drawer and keep some screwdrivers, pliers, and other frequently used tools there.  It'll make for less digging around in the toolbox.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/22 5:31 p.m.

There's lots of drawers directly under these things, but I've never regretted going to pegboard and magnetic socket trays. 

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/22 5:32 p.m.

I spent some time as an RV tech, and specialized in large Class A coaches. I quickly loaded my cart with all of my daily use tools and never looked back. It's so convenient to bring them along for the ride, and then I have specialty tools / BFH in the chest that stays parked and semi clean. 

I had a 4 drawer with lift top cart, two full size drawers and top row was 2 half drawers. Top had sockets, wrenches, etc as described. Top left was pens, clips, note pads, work orders. Top right was small wrenches, 1/4" drive set, small screwdrivers. Second drawer was electrical (meters, wire, connectors, everything). Third drawer was drill and impact, with sets of attachments.

I had a Deep cycle battery with wiring testers set up to run lights on trailers, trucks, etc on the bottom, along with larger spares.

My cart had a bar added to it that was spaced off the body to hold my pry bars, hammers, etc off the back. It was awesome. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
4/20/22 9:01 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I've seen the socket holders that hold them vertically, and have the size marked on the top of the post.  Any opinions on those? 

Its probably my favorite way to hold sockets. They are super convenient, but not as efficient for space as standard rails, which can be stacked shiny happy people to elbows. I feel like you're using your cart wrong. Put the tools in there that you use all the time and roll it right to where you are working.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/22 9:47 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
eastsideTim said:

I've seen the socket holders that hold them vertically, and have the size marked on the top of the post.  Any opinions on those? 

Its probably my favorite way to hold sockets. They are super convenient, but not as efficient for space as standard rails, which can be stacked shiny happy people to elbows. I feel like you're using your cart wrong. Put the tools in there that you use all the time and roll it right to where you are working.

I got sets of those trays years ago, but they didn't last past the evening.  Unfortunately, my socket drawer is packed back to front and side to side with rails.  If a rail is longer than needed to hold a set of sockets, I trim it down.  The trays simply take up space in the drawer I don't have.   It was a bummer as they were a gift.

Someday I'll have room for a bigger tool box than my 26"w x 18"D Craftsman box with a 3-dr mid and a 12-dr top chest, but right now that's what I'm stuck with. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/20/22 10:42 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
eastsideTim said:

Right now the garage is packed a little too tight to roll the cart to where I'm working.  I have to make trips back and forth as I realize what tools I need, or I put what I think I need on a little ikea cart ahead of time.

I hope to have more working room as I finish projects up and clean out some of the excess stuff, but that's a whole different thread.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/22 11:03 p.m.

This thread is a good reminder to clean off my rolling cart, so I can actually use it as I intended to when I bought it. Right now it just sits in the corner with stuff piled on it (kind of like my workbench).

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/21/22 10:30 a.m.

I ordered a set of vertical holders this morning, and picked up a silverware tray while grocery shopping to put other tools into.  Some sockets are going to stay on rails, like my 3/8" regular depth metric sockets, since they get carted around pretty often.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/21/22 2:10 p.m.

I do love my vertical socket holders, but they do make the sockets less portable. That's not much of a concern for me since I'm not as portable as I used to be - I don't even remember when I last went to a junkyard. If I do start going again, I would probably get another set of sockets to keep in a backpack or something.

I think the organizers I have are the Hansen brand. They've since been knocked off but I don't know if the knockoffs are as good. One thing I like about them is you put the sockets on open end down and the socket won't fit right if it's not the right size. EG, the 10mm socket peg has a slightly-under-10mm round base that the socket slides over. So even if you put the socket on the wrong peg it's obvious you've done so. Once I was used to that I love it. That means there are several empty pegs on each tray as they've made allowance for a LOT of sizes. For example the 3/8 drive metric tray goes down to 6mm and I don't have 3/8 drive sockets that small. The 1/4" drive metric tray has a 5.5mm slot and I don't have that size. Etc.

The posts having the size written on them is nice, too - no more squinting at the socket engraving to see if you've grabbed the right one.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/21/22 2:47 p.m.
dculberson said:

I don't even remember when I last went to a junkyard. If I do start going again, I would probably get another set of sockets to keep in a backpack or something.

Funny you mention that.  I actually have quite a few duplicates of varying quality.  One of the larger organizational goals I have is to make a few basic kits for some of the cars more likely to need roadside intervention, and to have a drawer in the tool box dedicated to tools I can toss in a tool bag to go to the junkyard/track/rally and not feel completely bad if they get damaged or lost.  I also have a complete socket set specifically for rallycross, but it hasn't gotten much use in the last few years, so may get merged in with other stuff as needed.  This may also allow me to pick up some better versions of tools I already have.  I have some really nice JIS screwdrivers, but my flathead and phillips ones are mostly cheap, with a smattering of older, abused craftsmans.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
4/21/22 2:50 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Hopefully the Hansen trays work for you.  Just bear in mind they make the same number of sockets take up about 2x as much space in the drawer that sockets on rails do.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/21/22 2:57 p.m.

Hansen for me. I have all my metrics on orange ones and my imperials on green ones. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/21/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I went with some generic Amazon trays that look similar to the Hansen (didn't even know about the brand until dculberson mentioned them).  I figure they won't be as space efficient as vertically stored rails, but will be way better than my current horizontally stored rails.  I am hoping the extra space and the labeling will make them easier to choose and pick up.  My crappy eyesight is getting worse as I get older.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
4/21/22 2:58 p.m.

Here's my socket drawer.  I use this box for the frequently used tools.  I keep others on shelves near this box, often in portable tool boxes (one for electric, one for woodworking, etc).  If I'm going somewhere, I put a socket set (in the plastic container) along with extensions, breaker bars and whatever else I may need into a canvas toolbag.  I like the peg system for this drawer.  Better than the magnetic lay-down type. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/21/22 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

How well do impact sockets fit on the 1/2" organizer?  I'd like to put my deep well impacts there.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
4/21/22 3:06 p.m.

I wish I had the drawer space Eddie has ...

4/21/22 3:07 p.m.

I don't have a ton of 1/2 impact sockets in this box. Somehow I've just never used them too much. I have a ton of chromes though. Where I am in Texas there is no rust so having to go medieval on stuff isn't too commonplace. I tend to do a lot of hand work rather than impact work. 

4/21/22 3:10 p.m.

I have more 3/8 impact

4/21/22 3:10 p.m.

1/4 is what I use most

I apologize about all of the posts. I cannot figure how to add more than one picture per post. Even when I select three pictures and upload them it only posts the first one. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
4/21/22 3:17 p.m.

Usually you have to upload each picture individually - at least that's how I do it on my phone.   Upload, "ok", return to the next line, then upload again. Repeat as needed. Then "post".  It's fakes you into thinking you can select more than one picture for each upload process, but no.

When I upload pictures on a laptop, I usually cheat and use the Snipping Tool and copy-paste from that.

4/21/22 3:18 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Usually you have to upload each picture individually - at least that's how I do it on my phone.   Upload, "ok" return to the next line, then upload again. Repeat as needed.  It's fakes you into thinking you can select more than one picture for each upload process, but no.

When I upload pictures on a laptop, I usually cheat and use the Snipping Tool and copy-paste from that.

Now that's good info. I'll work on it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/21/22 3:18 p.m.

Thank you for the pics!  I have 3/8" impacts in SAE, but at this point, I am mostly using 1/2" impacts when I need to use the impact wrench.  That is mostly limited to installing and removing wheels, and suspension work.  Most of my regular wrenching is 3/8" with a normal ratchet or an electric ratchet.  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/22 3:19 p.m.

I'm surprised to hear that you use 1/4" most. 

For me, it's 3/8", then 1/2" and then maybe 1/4", but only if the nut is 10mm, 7/16" or smaller.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
va9PTT1Vr7R1FcCVUR4QdRDxliPaencJn3Gi8BTNuFae17HV5I0e3li18bdgZBgT