gszczyrbak
gszczyrbak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/20/21 1:11 p.m.

I drive my car to events and have a storage bin that I chuck in and out of the car. It contains various tools, towels, zip ties. The bin I'm using now is pretty cheap and bound to fail soon. Any recs for specific heavy duty bins that are big enough to hold a bunch but small enough to lift in and out of my Mazda 3 sedan rear seat?  Or two smaller/medium-ish ones   

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/20/21 2:18 p.m.

I just use those black bins with the yellow lids. Fairly sturdy and come in various sizes.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/4/21 11:01 a.m.

I've used milk crates.  Not a big fan of the holes but they're small and strong. 

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven Reader
1/25/23 10:00 p.m.

Alternatively, I bought a HF 4x4 trailer, screwed down 2 boxes...tools...parts,

and welded up a tire rack, with space underneath for the 10x10 collapsible tent. 

Bought a cheap set of "track tools", which remain in the trailer.  Only pack special tools for each trip.

Packing time went from 6 hrs to 1 hr.

Time is money.

YMMV 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/26/23 2:05 p.m.

The 5gal buckets and tool holders that slide in them work great for this. I upgraded from that to an enclosed trailer and hf cart cool

Spearfishin
Spearfishin New Reader
1/27/23 10:00 a.m.

I'm towing an enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton truck, so weight is a concern...are there any readily available, not backbreakingly expensive, aluminum tool boxes I could bolt in, or is the weight savings not worth worrying about compared to picking my favorite Craftsman box off of Craigslist and trading the casters for bolts?

I'm currently using the previously suggested black bins with yellow lids. Two seems to carry what I need, plus a floor jack and some other stuff that just gets tossed in the trailer "loose".

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/23 1:07 p.m.
Spearfishin said:

I'm towing an enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton truck, so weight is a concern...are there any readily available, not backbreakingly expensive, aluminum tool boxes I could bolt in, or is the weight savings not worth worrying about compared to picking my favorite Craftsman box off of Craigslist and trading the casters for bolts?

Keep the casters and strap it to the wall, that way you can roll it out the back and over to the car if you want to.

For a toolbox of your typical trailer size, I suspect the weight savings is less than a hundred pounds and the cost would be huge.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/30/23 1:12 p.m.

For a solo "parking spot pit" the black bins with a solid top work well.  Back when I autocrossed regularly, it was good to have something relatively water tight to stash all of the loose stuff in the car (that I couldn't leave at home) in case of rain. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zw6ji99h2uaaPaFg8kXxKFCKFzD5UJcim295T7HX73vqpA4tLxuaW4QaQpsFQrpv