QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/22 11:13 a.m.

I have been gifted a trio of terribly nice stainless steel workbench table tops. Not just a cheap sheet top but two (edit) 115x30 10ga brush finished stainless steel table tops and another couple beat em up 10ga non reinforced table tops (called beat em up because they will be okay to hit with a hammer).

There are no legs with any of them. 

My garage has a step around the entire perimeter that makes pushing anything up to the wall a 3" punchline. So when I build legs I will need to accommodate for the rear offset.

My tool boxes are different heights. I think that I want to stay similar height to the shorter Husky 46" box.

The wall that these boxes are on will get one table to the corner then the left 90° with a beat em up table, then another stainless top, and another beat em up table. 

So, in this land of miserable lumber prices what would you use? 4x4? Railway tie? (would the Creosote treated wood be too much for the garage?) Steel? Cinder blocks? The backs of thine enemies?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/22 1:17 p.m.

I use 2 x 4 framing with 1 by face frames for benches and cabinets in my shop.  They're super strong and not terribly expensive.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/22 1:20 p.m.

I used the same basic technique in my old shop in NY except I used some landscape ties that I had kicking around for the legs and I left the area under the bench open.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
6/10/22 1:29 p.m.

Please excuse the dirt, this is more than my share of the haul:

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
6/10/22 2:10 p.m.

I nothing useful to add here.  Just wanted to say I'm jealous of your workspaces and craftsman skills.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
6/10/22 3:09 p.m.

Thank you Matt

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/10/22 7:21 p.m.

You'll need the backs of ALL your enemies to support those! Seriously though, that's an awesome set of work surfaces.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
6/13/22 5:26 p.m.

Well... they made it on to the trailer. They will probably be there a couple days. 

Two 114x30 stainless worktops

One 48x29 powdercoated bench top

And a bonus piece that is ridiculous. A 183x30 stainless worktop. I can't get the big one off the trailer. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
6/13/22 5:27 p.m.

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
6/13/22 6:39 p.m.

Wow, that's some serious counter tops!

I built mine over the top of my two HF tool boxes, I'm really happy with it. I really like the SS top, easy to clean and looks terrific.

I would look at Craig's and see if you can find some metal legs......failing that maybe consider buying some steel and weld them up - I would use some adjustable feet to level it out

I also built my base out of 2X4s but I would have preferred metal. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
6/13/22 8:44 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

I may pull the rollers off of the big black boxes and level them out (there's a big heigh difference) and run the 183" top on top of them with a pair of legs in the center. With this extra addition I now have too much counter space. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sSo9MwmcT51V35dwV6GYsgqihtO0NFnjkY0aZ5GNnRoPJBmEUOMFeXonFbLo34Lz