AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/21 2:24 p.m.

So I got a transmission jack for cheap semi-recently and it works, but leaks a lot. I was planning to take it to a local hydraulic shop, but they said if its foreign made they are having such a hard time finding parts that he doesn't want to touch it. I had to go find the picture I took of model number, and it says made in Taiwan, so I don't think he's going to be much help. 

So to you all, any assistance on the best route to go for this thing?

The sticker says it's a Columbia International Automotive Model 2150. I found 1 rebuild kit online (kit), but it's $150 and I don't know where to start with that. 

If we're confident that the rebuild kit would work, it's looking like that might be worth it, but I want some knowedgeable feedback. 

Harbor freight has this one for $250: https://www.harborfreight.com/1100-lb-high-lift-transmission-jack-33615.html

and this one for $700: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-and-1-1-2-half-ton-two-stage-transmission-jack-33884.html

The $250 model looks flimsy, and the $700 model looks decent, but expensive. 

Or one like this on Amazon, but do I trust that to hold a transmission? https://www.amazon.com/Iglobalbuy-Adjustable-Hydraulic-Telescoping-Transmission/dp/B00NBII02S/ref=asc_df_B00NBII02S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312064691975&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=95646917921091890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1018587&hvtargid=pla-584636821565&psc=1

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/21 2:35 p.m.

Can't hurt to take it apart and look. I've researched this myself a bit and the general feeling I found was that most seals and such are standard o rings so it's likely you can find the source of the leak and fix it cheaply.

And maybe you can't, but then you'll know what you're looking for.

11/17/21 11:04 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Very true. I am thinking I might as well take it apart and see what it looks like. Can't really hurt it right?

I'll probably also check it there's any other hydraulic shops around, or near my work. Maybe one of them will be willing to give it a shot. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/18/21 9:49 a.m.

Are there any good websites or You tube videos on fixing jack hydraulics ?

I have a big shop floor jack that  needs seals  :)

What else is inside other than seals / O rings and the shaft is not bent ?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/18/21 10:06 a.m.

Recently we had an old forklift(my fathers favorite) and after 3 attempts to fix the hydraulic cylinder between new seals and rechroming the shaft we had to give up and get a new hydraulic cylinder for it.  Even the best hydraulic shops can't always fix them. We actually just purchase a whole new forklift to get the new cylinder because how much money do you spend of an almost 40 year old piece of equipment. 

devina
devina Reader
11/27/21 8:57 p.m.

There is a great thread on Garage Journal of people sourcing parts to rebuild floor jacks and one member that supplies parts for many of these.  I recently rebuilt my older floor jack using parts ordered from HCRCNow.com.  They have a form you can fill out after measuring what you need and submit the order...was pretty easy and quick.

11/29/21 8:25 a.m.

In reply to devina :

That is the one site that I found a rebuild kit for this jack on, thanks for the reply.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DIv7kX4fJ9p4xqHJVHMesLCiPVwHXULYksWX3hmCQTKzar9i2V8UcIxX9Cp1kjWL