BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/24/21 7:56 a.m.

I've got 2 sets of extra wheels and tires that I randomly move around in the garage now to get out of the way of one thing and into the way of another.  I'd like to get them up and out of the way, like completely.  I was hoping to find a storage system that used a pole to go through the center of the wheels vs the tires being set on, but I can't seem to find one.  

So, what do you use?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
8/24/21 10:05 a.m.

Currently the $50 versions off Amazon.  They are cheap and while I could fab something similar cheaper.  I just drilled some holes and screwed them in.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/21 10:10 a.m.

Cheap 2x3s. Cut holes in the ceiling to hang them from the rafters with lags. 

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/21 11:46 a.m.
Thinkkker said:

Currently the $50 versions off Amazon.  They are cheap and while I could fab something similar cheaper.  I just drilled some holes and screwed them in.

Same here. They are cheap enough, fast and easy to install, but they just don't inspire a ton of confidence. Logically, I know they aren't going anywhere, but just to help me shake the mental picture of a 50lb wheel+tire bouncing off the hood of a car so I could sleep easier at night, I added some big eye bolts screwed into the rafters and ran a steel cable through the wheel centers and the eye bolts.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/21 11:54 a.m.

These were bought off of Amazon. I don't know if they're the same ones that are posted above, I think I paid more like $70 per set. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/21 12:20 p.m.

I think the reason you don't see any with the bar through the middle of the wheel is that adding and removing wheels to those racks is a giant pain in the butt.  I used to borrow a trailer for the stock car with that setup and it was horrible.  To remove one wheel you need to slide the bar over so that it's no longer supported on one end which leaves you holding the weight of the loaded bar while you wrestle the tire off the end.  Even with two people it's not fun.

amerson
amerson New Reader
8/27/21 1:29 a.m.

I have a HyLoft folding rack and love it. It is pretty sturdy.

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru New Reader
8/27/21 8:49 a.m.

I also have the $50ish Amazon ones, I've had them mounted two different places for a total of at least 2 years without any issues. They seem a little flimsy before you mount them, but once they're on the wall they seem solid.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
10/13/21 4:33 p.m.
Thinkkker said:

I have 8 of these in my garage, half of them just have plastic totes on them. Great bang for the buck, very flexible use.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/15/21 2:37 p.m.

I work for Hyloft / Knape and Vogt / John Sterling / ...  I have been trying to by my own products for a year now but can't because we are too far behind on orders for actual customers.  I'll probably make some out of 2x4s.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
11/15/21 2:49 p.m.

I'll be doing another set of the 2X4 hangers in the basement to keep the sticky tires at nice ambient temps vs freezing in my Ohio garage temps.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z01Yp6Ty4hj1gZJhDeE6qeCP8eEUGn3TqOLznI2UKFVZnWiqzhtnrJBRMe9qV3dd